• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Issues in 2.5

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
:ahoy

Playing 2.5 and have found some issues.

First, on arrival at Bonaire a large ship covered the entire dock. Haven't seen that for awhile.

Second, after boarding a takeing a sloop of war I couldn't transfer cannons even though they were of the same caliber.

Third and this is a legacy issue when you acquire an award blade of any kind of average grade or above and you equip a blade using the 1 or F key the award blade is the one equipped even if you have a better blade with a higher grade.

Fourth, once I traded in my luggar for a Fast Merchant man the penants no longer displayed. The flag was there but no penants. Love love love the new flags BTW.

Finally I notice that if you are are playing arcade style you can now buy war ships in the shipyard. I always play on arcade and as I recently as 2.4 you could not buy warships in any shipyard without a letter of marque and then only in the nation that you were sailing for. Can we go back to that?

And, when I pick up the Bartolomeau quest in the main story line I sail to Bahia de Antonio and and it won't let me land. I more the ship and the only action choice is back to see.

BTW also love the new Dutch uniforms which I presume is do to the new time frame.

And where can I find a list of what is new.

Looks great so far.

Glad to see you playing our stuff again! Even better that you like it! :cheeky

First, on arrival at Bonaire a large ship covered the entire dock. Haven't seen that for awhile.
Which ship was that? The code determining whether ships can be put at the jetty is automated and based on class,
but especially now we reclassified all ships into the ship Tier system, that could have thrown the jetty calculations out of whack.
I saw one too a few days ago during playtesting. Easily fixed though by putting in one extra line in ships_init.c ; just need to know which ship to add it to. :cheeky

Second, after boarding a takeing a sloop of war I couldn't transfer cannons even though they were of the same caliber.
Could it be that the one ship had long guns and the other carronades?

Third and this is a legacy issue when you acquire an award blade of any kind of average grade or above and you equip a blade using the 1 or F key the award blade is the one equipped even if you have a better blade with a higher grade.
As I said in the other thread, it is probably cause my these blades being set to level 99 to prevent them showing up at random.
Will have to look into that some time, but since it is more a cosmetic issue, I'll put it on my to-do list for after the release of Beta 3.

Fourth, once I traded in my luggar for a Fast Merchant man the penants no longer displayed. The flag was there but no penants. Love love love the new flags BTW.
Armada removed them on purpose from the Fast Merchantmen as per this post in this thread: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/corvette-v-2.18160/page-8#post-448851
Historical accuracy or so. Thanks for reinforcing my point here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/corvette-v-2.18160/page-13#post-450452 ;)

What was the last modpack version you played before? We've had our new flags for a while. And yes, they do look good! :dance

Finally I notice that if you are are playing arcade style you can now buy war ships in the shipyard. I always play on arcade and as I recently as 2.4 you could not buy warships in any shipyard without a letter of marque and then only in the nation that you were sailing for. Can we go back to that?
An Arcade Player! Eeeexcellent! Would you mind telling me which Advanced Options you do and do not like to have switched on?
We've been trying to clean up that menu by removing useless settings and putting others in the Arcade/Realistic switches.
But without input from actual Arcade players, we've sort-of been second-guessing what they might want. Your input will be most valuable! :woot
Once I know how the settings need to be set up, I can do so fairly easily. :doff

And, when I pick up the Bartolomeau quest in the main story line I sail to Bahia de Antonio and and it won't let me land. I more the ship and the only action choice is back to see.
So you're saying you DO make it to that shore and DO get the anchor icon. But you can't leave your ship's deck? That's a new one! :shock
What if you go back to sea, then press the [Enter] menu instead? There should be an "Anchor" and "Shore" option in there. The second will skip the ship deck.
Does that work?

BTW also love the new Dutch uniforms which I presume is do to the new time frame.
We've got different historically accurate uniforms for all nations based on the relevant time periods. :yes

And where can I find a list of what is new.
"Build Info.txt" contains the full changelog, but that might be a bit much to work through.
You can have a look through the various articles on this page for a shorter summary: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/news

Looks great so far.
Cheers! We do try. :wp

Which ship was that? The code determining whether ships can be put at the jetty is automated and based on class,
but especially now we reclassified all ships into the ship Tier system, that could have thrown the jetty calculations out of whack.
Which Tiers are forbidden from showing up at jetties? I could quickly check through and see which large ships have been demoted, which would help to fix this.

Armada removed them on purpose from the Fast Merchantmen as per this post in this thread: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/corvette-v-2.18160/page-8#post-448851
Historical accuracy or so.

For the merchant versions of the ship, removing the pennants was part of the "how can we make the merchant look different to the navy ship?" argument, which you agreed to. :razz

Which Tiers are forbidden from showing up at jetties? I could quickly check through and see which large ships have been demoted, which would help to fix this.
Turns out it is not tier-related at all; I misremembered:
Code:
bool JettyShip(ref chr)
{
    int nShipType = GetCharacterShipType(chr);
    if (nShipType == SHIP_NOTUSED) return false;
    aref ship; makearef(ship, chr.ship);
    if (CheckShipAttribute(ship, &ShipsTypes[nShipType], "Jetty"))
        return sti(GetLocalShipAttrib(ship, &ShipsTypes[nShipType], "Jetty"));
    else
        return GetMaxCrewQuantity(chr) < 500;
}
So then it is just a matter of new ships not quite fitting into that. We'll just have to note when it happens and fix them as we go. I tackled a few earlier this week.

For the merchant versions of the ship, removing the pennants was part of the "how can we make the merchant look different to the navy ship?" argument, which you agreed to. :razz
:razz indeed!

I understand that, but I am now sailing a pirate frigate with an English letter of mark and it has no pennants either.

Glad to see you playing our stuff again! Even better that you like it! :cheeky

I don't know.

Could it be that the one ship had long guns and the other carronades?

Maybe, but I don't recall that being an issue before.

As I said in the other thread, it is probably cause my these blades being set to level 99 to prevent them showing up at random.

Got it. Very small problem.

Historical accuracy or so. Thanks for reinforcing my point here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/corvette-v-2.18160/page-13#post-450452 ;)

What was the last modpack version you played before? We've had our new flags for a while. And yes, they do look good! :dance

I have been playing every version. I was using the 2.4 WIP until June 11.

An Arcade Player! Eeeexcellent! Would you mind telling me which Advanced Options you do and do not like to have switched on?
We've been trying to clean up that menu by removing useless settings and putting others in the Arcade/Realistic switches.
But without input from actual Arcade players, we've sort-of been second-guessing what they might want. Your input will be most valuable! :woot
Once I know how the settings need to be set up, I can do so fairly easily. :doff

I will do this and respond separately.

So you're saying you DO make it to that shore and DO get the anchor icon. But you can't leave your ship's deck? That's a new one! :shock
What if you go back to sea, then press the [Enter] menu instead? There should be an "Anchor" and "Shore" option in there. The second will skip the ship deck.
Does that work?

I'll try it.

We've got different historically accurate uniforms for all nations based on the relevant time periods. :yes

"Build Info.txt" contains the full changelog, but that might be a bit much to work through.
You can have a look through the various articles on this page for a shorter summary: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/news

Cheers! We do try. :wp

Speaking of flags I wonder if we could get a couple with a "Hawk" on them. Or if someone can explain how to do it I would be willing to try to design a couple.

An is there any way to get the map in the documentation file into the game it is great.

Turns out it is not tier-related at all; I misremembered:
Code:
bool JettyShip(ref chr)
{
    int nShipType = GetCharacterShipType(chr);
    if (nShipType == SHIP_NOTUSED) return false;
    aref ship; makearef(ship, chr.ship);
    if (CheckShipAttribute(ship, &ShipsTypes[nShipType], "Jetty"))
        return sti(GetLocalShipAttrib(ship, &ShipsTypes[nShipType], "Jetty"));
    else
        return GetMaxCrewQuantity(chr) < 500;
}
So then it is just a matter of new ships not quite fitting into that. We'll just have to note when it happens and fix them as we go. I tackled a few earlier this week.

So this means all ships with the Jetty attribute or more than 500 crew are those that shouldn't show up there, right?
Having a quick look at the list of ships in Excel, I'd say it would make more sense to include ships with more than 400 crew (or Tier 3 and above), because that will include several large frigates and galleons.

I understand that, but I am now sailing a pirate frigate with an English letter of mark and it has no pennants either.

Yeah, despite what I originally said, I think we should actually put the pennants back for the pirate versions.

Pieter: That reminds me, I'm seeing too many of these pirate frigates in the Colonial Powers period.
The encounter chances should probably be reduced to something like 0.2 in Colonial Powers and 0.1 in Revolutions.
I still need to sort out a few other issues with encounter chances, such as galleons showing up when they shouldn't be, so I'll probably make some changes and send you the file.

Speaking of flags I wonder if we could get a couple with a "Hawk" on them. Or if someone can explain how to do it I would be willing to try to design a couple.
There are at least two in the Golden Age of Piracy period, which used to be the time setting for the Standard storyline until we changed it last week.
Now it is set in Colonial Powers, so it has to share flag slots with the Jack Sparrow storyline, which has many custom ones.

See this thread on our Beta 3 Preparations though: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-preparations.20575/page-2#post-450819
Once Beta 2.5 is finished and released, I'll get to work getting Pirate_KK's stuff working for Beta 3 and then we can select ANY personal flag without period limitation.
That will give you your hawk flags back. :yes

An is there any way to get the map in the documentation file into the game it is great.
Theoretically, yes of course we can! I'm wondering how we should go about that though.
The names of the shores on the islands are quite important if you use Realistic Game Mode as then you have to discovered them before being able to Sail To.
The specific island maps give those, but the Archipelago Map does not. So if we'd have one map with everything, it would remove the point of having any other maps. :facepalm

So this means all ships with the Jetty attribute or more than 500 crew are those that shouldn't show up there, right?
Having a quick look at the list of ships in Excel, I'd say it would make more sense to include ships with more than 400 crew (or Tier 3 and above), because that will include several large frigates and galleons.
Changed. That crew calculation is used as default, but we can override it with a refShip.Jetty = true/false; line in ships_init.c

Pieter: That reminds me, I'm seeing too many of these pirate frigates in the Colonial Powers period.
The encounter chances should probably be reduced to something like 0.2 in Colonial Powers and 0.1 in Revolutions.
I still need to sort out a few other issues with encounter chances, such as galleons showing up when they shouldn't be, so I'll probably make some changes and send you the file.
Sounds great; thanks! :woot

:ahoy Pieter

Here is the advanced option settings I use.

ON

Anchoring Ransoming, Building set, Brothel, Corpses Option 4, Auto looting option 1, Compass option 3, Default sails option 2, Pirate black sails option 2, Sea encounters random 1, Survival chance 40, Ship surrender, 0.2, Lock open 10, Weapons mod, Ammo and powder, Traders realism, Shipyard realism, Food, Worldmap option 2, National paint scheme, Sailho message 4, Time option 2, Real cannons, Extra hit check, Cannon powder.

OFF

Automatic Skills

These should be left as a choice

Changing relations
Auto hire crew on this I think the default should be off not on, because it is more realistic.

My two cents, hope it helps :cheers

Does that work?

This is the saving Bartolomeau's crew.

Yes that worked. Now I get to the plaza and send him off to talk to his crew auto walk to the front of the church to talk to the hangman and no one appears and I am frozen there.

Also the Governor in Alice Town can't access his dialogue, and there is no contraband for that island so when you talk to the smuggler, you say he can't help.

Theoretically, yes of course we can! I'm wondering how we should go about that though.
The names of the shores on the islands are quite important if you use Realistic Game Mode as then you have to discovered them before being able to Sail To.
The specific island maps give those, but the Archipelago Map does not. So if we'd have one map with everything, it would remove the point of having any other maps. :facepalm:woot
I completely agree no that you have explained it, However I have not seen any island maps in eons. Dungeons yes islands not since beta 2.2

Auto hire crew on this I think the default should be off not on, because it is more realistic.
That is more a convenience option; saves you the trouble of visiting the tavern.
But now that the taverns provide news on what actually goes on in the Caribbean, you might as well be "forced" to visit there.
And what is a bit of pirating without visiting the tavern every now and then? Shouldn't that be the FIRST place you go to? :cheeky

This is the saving Bartolomeau's crew.
Now I get to the plaza and send him off to talk to his crew auto walk to the front of the church to talk to the hangman and no one appears and I am frozen there.
I have heard that problem before. Doesn't it work when you load a savegame and try again? I thought people did manage to get through that. Occasionally. :facepalm

Also the Governor in Alice Town can't access his dialogue, and there is no contraband for that island so when you talk to the smuggler, you say he can't help.
Have to check that governor dialog then.
Edit: Tested, but cannot confirm. Working fine here in Devlin Opera. :(

On the contraband, I noticed this note in the code for Eleuthera:
Code:
TALISMAN - Eleuthera - no beach for smugglers - remove contraband
Probably better to remove the smuggler. Where did you encounter him?

I completely agree no that you have explained it, However I have not seen any island maps in eons. Dungeons yes islands not since beta 2.2
Really? Either type of map is no different from the other. I've definitely been seeing both. o_O

Restored as per Beta 2.5 Test Version 3: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-2-5-test-version-3-available.20593

Here is the advanced option settings I use.
[...]
My two cents, hope it helps :cheers
Thanks! I think I've finished my cleaning work on that menu. Let me know if there are any options you'd like to have back.

On the contraband, I noticed this note in the code for Eleuthera:
Code:
TALISMAN - Eleuthera - no beach for smugglers - remove contraband

Probably better to remove the smuggler. Where did you encounter him?

There should be no smugglers- agents in the taverns on Eleuthera: ( Governors Harbour or Alice Town ) -

Code for these is in Usurers.c in PROGRAMS \ Characters \ init

Have checked the file and nothing there - so I don't know who is using the smugglers-agent dialog. :shrug

If you use the Crewmembers on Shore mod, there can be random smugglers walking around in town; maybe Jason ran into one of those?
That's why I asked where he met the smuggler; it would explain it. :wp

If you use the Crewmembers on Shore mod, there can be random smugglers walking around in town; maybe Jason ran into one of those?
That's why I asked where he met the smuggler; it would explain it. :wp

Then is it possible that the same problem might occur on Tortuga - ( no beach - no smuggler in tavern ) or is Tortuga "special" because of all the other stuff that happens in the town/port. :dance

EDIT: Or would he give you a beach on Hispaniola somewhere. :p

Since Tortuga is part of the Hispaniola island model, indeed he'd probably use one of those beaches.

Back