• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Issues with Female Characters and Officers: Frequency and Variety

Lukovsky_

Powder Monkey
Hello there!

I think this issue has been addressed before but I still encounter a lot of female officers, would say 60-70% of all. And all of them with the same model (but different outfits) as in the attachments. I've been playing the standard storyline, build 14 beta 3.3 with the fixes up to 8th of January.

Attachments

• uuuu1.jpg
    uuuu1.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 105
  • uuuu2.jpg
    uuuu2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 115
I don't see a problem here either :p.

Probably the FEMALE_OFFICER_PERCENTAGE toggle in InternalSettings.h has some unexpected results.

Can someone try to set that value to 0 and see if they all disappear?

Anyway, when I get to a bit of play-testing, I'll keep an eye on this and try to track it down.

The problem isn't just with the number of female officers. It's that they're all the same. There are a lot of models which people obviously put a lot of work into developing - can't some of those show up as officers?

Likewise, there aren't many different types of woman wandering around town as random civilians - mostly "towngirl5" and "towngirl7", variants on a theme of Ines Diaz, occasionally whichever version of "towngirl3" has the purple dress, and very rarely some of the others. There was more variety in the stock game!

The problem isn't just with the number of female officers. It's that they're all the same. There are a lot of models which people obviously put a lot of work into developing - can't some of those show up as officers?
Yes they should! Very much so. Will see what I can do. :yes

Likewise, there aren't many different types of woman wandering around town as random civilians - mostly "towngirl5" and "towngirl7", variants on a theme of Ines Diaz, occasionally whichever version of "towngirl3" has the purple dress, and very rarely some of the others. There was more variety in the stock game!
The female models used depend on the nation. If you go to towns of the same nation all the time, you'll see the same models being used.
But if you go to a different nation, you should see different ones.

Could you see if that is indeed true? It should be, but it is always good to check. :onya

It is not true. Regardless of nation, almost all random female civilians are either "towngirl5", "towngirl7" or variants of Ines Diaz. Some other types show up rarely. And some types never show up at all, including blue "towngirl1", green "towngirl3" and "towngirl6". If you see any of these, she's invariably one of the permanent local residents.

That's really quite sucky. Guess what I'll be doing tonight? :facepalm

You are going to look at different female models? I can think of worse things to do :p.
I'm going to be looking at ship economics and fetch quests again :modding

Female models are pleasant on the eyes, of course. :love

That being said, the code related to them most likely is not. I suspect getting this right is going to be a pain. :modding

Did anyone run into any female characters with male names (and possibly vice versa)?
I think I just saw one. :shock

Could someone tell me if this is a RECENT change or not? As in, was the appearance of female characters better in November?

We'll need to figure out if this is related to the FEMALE_OFFICER_PERCENTAGE mod or not.

as I remember from earlier play troughs all female officers where the same model with 2 or 3 different textures. In most cases I just went to the tailor to give them something nice to wear.

That is really quite sucky. I'll try something simple in my upload for today, where I am just removing some of the FEMALE_OFFICER_PERCENTAGE code again.
Perhaps that just doesn't work quite right.

Back