• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Jack Sparrow - Dialog #sFather# for Priests Name not working

Talisman

Smuggler
Storm Modder
Talking to the Priests in Bridgetown while doing Ammand - Help the Church Side Quest

Ballister has priests name in dialog OK - as it is in .h file as text

Code:
"I'd like to ask you some questions about the priest named ",
"Father Jerald",

But Father Jerald - has #sFather# in his .h file and the Priests name does not appear. Yet sometimes it does .:shrug

Code:
"I'm only too happy to welcome a new member to the congregation. I'm ",
". ",
"Wonderful, then I hope you'll accept my gift to the Church.",
"Can I talk with you, #sFather#?",

Code:
"But I've never seen these before.",
"They're in your handwriting, #sFather#. And they show the full picture of your degradation.",

Code:
"I swear to you I wrote no such letters! But dear God, who will believe me when they see these?!",
"Hmm. You're either a very good actor, #sFather#, or you really didn't write these letters. I'm glad it's not up to me to make that decision.",
"Don't despair, #sFather#. I can see now you're telling the truth. There's still hope.",

No error log generated

:shrug

Attachments

• PotC Js Priest_1.jpg
    PotC Js Priest_1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 148
  • PotC JS Priest_2.jpg
    PotC JS Priest_2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 146
  • PotC JS Priest_3.jpg
    PotC JS Priest_3.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 123
  • PotC JS Priest_4.jpg
    PotC JS Priest_4.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 134
  • compile.log
    4.6 KB · Views: 129
  • system.log
    1.8 KB · Views: 125
Extract attached files to PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow\dialogs and see if that helps.

Attachments

• FatherFixes.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 98
Then the problem is that the most recent updates weren't applied to the Jack Sparrow storyline folder.
I've been afraid of issues like that and that was one of the reasons I have tried to reduce the amount of double code in the game.
But not enough, because there is still lots and lots of that left, which may cause similar problems like this.

I know that both @Grey Roger and @pedrwyth made some updates to sidequests, including the Church Help/Animists one.
If at all possible, I would hope they could compare their work with the Jack Sparrow storyline and make sure that their fixes are applied there too.

But in the meantime, at least this one should be fixed then! :cheers

I know that both @Grey Roger and @pedrwyth made some updates to sidequests, including the Church Help/Animists one.
If at all possible, I would hope they could compare their work with the Jack Sparrow storyline and make sure that their fixes are applied there too.
No simple answer to that one.

The animist code changes by me in the standard storyline (now in quests_side.c) are not in Jack Sparrow (in both_reaction.c) but never having played Jack Sparrow I wonder if they even need to be! o_O The standard story fix was for where you had earlier killed the prison warden (when searching for the idol collection for Silehard) which may well not occur in Jack Sparrow since you are not following Nathaniel Hawke plot line?

The more recent fix for boarding crashes as it affects the animists ships also already has a different code solution in JS based on the health points of the ships (EDIT - HP or is that hit points) not the death of the captains and the block against boarding seems to be already commented out - which I presume works too?

There is also different code in JS which looks like another improvement. In the standard storyline in "with _teacher_to_muelle" (and ....muelle_21) the reload for on-ship dialogue with Teacher takes place to denielle_deck which seems to be a generic onboard location for side quests. In JS as I read the code this has been changed to put you on the correct PChar ship deck which is presumably a better scenario.:cool:

It looks like it may need close comparison by someone who knows how both behave so that a best of both worlds can emerge. :keith

For now I would leave JS as is in regard to my standard storyline changes - because it may not be broke in the same way - unless someone who knows JS tells me you can meet the dead warden impasse BUT I would bring the JS improvement from using denielle_deck into the quests_side.c code :type1 (assuming it works as it reads).

Last edited:
No simple answer to that one.

The animist code changes by me in the standard storyline (now in quests_side.c) are not in Jack Sparrow (in both_reaction.c) but never having played Jack Sparrow I wonder if they even need to be! o_O The standard story fix was for where you had earlier killed the prison warden (when searching for the idol collection for Silehard) which may well not occur in Jack Sparrow since you are not following Nathaniel Hawke plot line?

The more recent fix for boarding crashes as it affects the animists ships also already has a different code solution in JS based on the health points of the ships (EDIT - HP or is that hit points) not the death of the captains and the block against boarding seems to be already commented out - which I presume works too?

There is also different code in JS which looks like another improvement. In the standard storyline in "with _teacher_to_muelle" (and ....muelle_21) the reload for on-ship dialogue with Teacher takes place to denielle_deck which seems to be a generic onboard location for side quests. In JS as I read the code this has been changed to put you on the correct PChar ship deck which is presumably a better scenario.:cool:

It looks like it may need close comparison by someone who knows how both behave so that a best of both worlds can emerge. :keith

For now I would leave JS as is in regard to my standard storyline changes - because it may not be broke in the same way - unless someone who knows JS tells me you can meet the dead warden impasse BUT I would bring the JS improvement from using denielle_deck into the quests_side.c code :type1 (assuming it works as it reads).
Thanks for checking this. Maybe @Talisman can confirm based on that if indeed any of your changes are needed.
If not, I'll leave it as-is until somebody says otherwise. :cheeky

Back