• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Jack Sparrow Storyline: Gibbs doesn't speak to Sparrow on Anse Casse-Bois

BobbaFett

Sailor Apprentice
In Jack's story-line there's a part where you have to sail to Anse Casse-Bois and when you go to shore, Mr.Gibbs will have to talk to you.
It appears that when you go to shore, Gibbs doesn't talk to you.
The only way that he'll talk to you is if you go outside the world-map, land at the main port and re go to the tavern and talk to them again, they won't say anything they just say they're ready.
When I go on the shore again, Gibbs talks to me.. is it normal?

When you go to shore at Anse Casse-Bois - it is difficult to get Gibbs to talk to you :yes because you & Gibbs are both spawned in the water and are both swimming.

But if you are careful you can get to the shallow water and as soon as Gibbs gets there and stops swimming he should talk to you and give you the 2 options in the dialog.

I am not sure if the Spawn point is quest related or is fixed for that beach. It would be good if it could be changed to shallow water so you are not swimming - or dry land even.

On thinking about it - Hornblower uses that beach and I don't think the player spawns in the water in that story.:read

:drunk

I attempted it couple of times to get Gibbs to talk to me.
I think the spawn point should be changed, if possible! :)
Thank you for your reply!

I won't be able to look at that until after Beta 3 is released and after Capture Colonies is sorted out though.
That is when I am hoping to finally be able to play through the storylines myself. :facepalm

During the Mings Brotherhood quest in the Hoist The Colours storyline, you're supposed to go to some plantation and Gibbs is meant to ask whether he goes with you or stays with the ship. I have re-tried this god knows how many times and the same thing is happening no matter what I do. The quest is broken. Gibbs doesn't initiate any form of dialogue and if I attempt to his only response is "..."

could you upload your savegame at the moment you want to talk to gibbs? I might have time to look at it :).

Btw i checked the walktrough and it says:
Jack Rackham asks if ready to sail - tells you to sail to Anse Casse-Bois on other side of Guadeloupe and from there go through jungle to Petros' Plantation. – QB Update

SAVE HERE

Sail to Anse Casse-Bois - on shore Mr Gibbs talks to you (2 choices)

So you should go on to Anse Casse-Bois first. There it's hard to talk to gibbs because of the weird placing but it's possible.

Do you have a savegame file just before you go to shore so I can check it out?

Same problem here :/
For the Beta 3.5 WIP, we might be able to help. But we'll need .log files and especially a save file from when it happens.
But for an old version, there is no point tracking this down when it might already have been fixed months ago. :facepalm

The only way that he'll talk to you is if you go outside the world-map, land at the main port and re go to the tavern and talk to them again, they won't say anything they just say they're ready.
When I go on the shore again, Gibbs talks to me.. is it normal?

This worked for me. Hope it does for everyone :napoleon

For the Beta 3.5 WIP, we might be able to help. But we'll need .log files and especially a save file from when it happens.
But for an old version, there is no point tracking this down when it might already have been fixed months ago. :facepalm

No problem mate u all do a nice work we are just "testers" :ahoy

In this thread Legend of Jack Sparrow - Brotherhood-Mings Story | PiratesAhoy!
it says that a dialogue is initiated when landind in Anse Casse-Bois shore after the dialogue with Jack Rackham and Cap'n Drow in the tavern and the quest book update. Supposed to give a choice whether Mr Gibbs tags along or stays with the ship. I didn't get that. Went to next part of jungle without it happening
I merged a bunch of threads together where the same thing was reported before.
Apparently this is a buggy part of the storyline. It CAN work right, it just doesn't always. :facepalm

Do you have a savegame just prior to that point and/or the .log files from when this happened?
It will be good to do some recoding here to make sure that it is more reliable.

And thanks for reminding us about this one! :cheers

I just tried it again, this probably happened because the first time i didn't moor the ship before going to shore. The second time i moored first then went to shore and it worked.

In the dialogue inside the tavern they DID tell me to moor the ship, i didn't think it was important though

If you have log files and/or a save, I'd definitely appreciate it.
This has happened to so many people now that I'd like to see that code tweaked a bit for reliability if possible.

I just tried it again, this probably happened because the first time i didn't moor the ship before going to shore. The second time i moored first then went to shore and it worked.
If you didn't moor the ship, then how did you get to that shore? Did you walk across the island then?

If you didn't moor the ship, then how did you get to that shore? Did you walk across the island then?

:rofl:rofl

I think he meant he went directly from sailing to shore in the menu - rather than using the moor option first ( which puts the player on the Ships Deck ).xD

It shouldn't make any difference whether you use the Moor or Shore option - the problem is Mr Gibbs talks to you very quickly after you get on the shore and sometimes you can hit the wrong key and end up going through the dialog without realizing it.

There used to be problems because when you landed at Anse Casse-Bois - the locator had the player swimming a few strokes and this caused problems with the dialog, ( players pressed keys to get to land and this took them through the dialog - or Mr Gibbs swam to the player and the dialog did not activate because Mr Gibbs was swimming) - but I think those have been fixed.

:cheers

I think he meant he went directly from sailing to shore in the menu - rather than using the moor option first ( which puts the player on the Ships Deck ).xD

It shouldn't make any difference whether you use the Moor or Shore option
That's actually what I assumed he meant too, but as you say: That should make zero difference.

There used to be problems because when you landed at Anse Casse-Bois - the locator had the player swimming a few strokes and this caused problems with the dialog, ( players pressed keys to get to land and this took them through the dialog - or Mr Gibbs swam to the player and the dialog did not activate because Mr Gibbs was swimming) - but I think those have been fixed.
That was fixed? I cannot remember now. :facepalm
But something is still going wonky. Maybe we should set Mr. Gibbs to start out somewhere far up the beach, running up to the player?
I'd welcome a save so that perhaps something further can be done. But not such a high priority, I suppose.

Here is a save after having talked to the captains inside the tavern
Thanks! I did some testing and couldn't seem to break the scene.

However, based on @Talisman's suggestion, I did move Mr. Gibbs a bit further away from the player so you get more time to respond:
Code:
    case "To_Guadeloupe_shore_01":
       ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Mr. Gibbs"),"Guadeloupe_shore_01", "goto", "locator10"); // PB: Start from bigger distance to avoid errors
       LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Mr. Gibbs"));
       LAi_ActorDialog(characterFromID("Mr. Gibbs"),PChar,"",5.0,5.0);
       Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Mr. Gibbs")].dialog.currentnode = "Stay_or_Accompany";
     break;
I think that is about all that can be done. The talk DOES work while you're swimming; I tested that too.

Back