• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Jerkey Performance Throughout the Game

The rankcheck is to prevent the jerky behaviour in later game. If a character is higher then level 15 he will be calculated during the loadtime instead of the runtime.
Interesting. So you DO keep it in the early game because the characters do need to be initialized SOME time and by the time you reach rank 15, most of it will be done?
Doing everything at load time would make loading times during the early game REALLY slow and during the later game that would improve.
But to reduce loading time at game start, you do some initialization after loading, which makes for the lag, but at least doesn't make the player wait so long.
In the later game, it will behave as if it WERE all included during the loading itself which, by then, should be a lot shorter.

Did I get all that right?

Yup, its mostly a matter of tweaking number now. I'd say the system is pretty solid.
I'm now trying to move some thing to event calls during the runtime so it can benefit from multi threading (I will write about this more later because we can use this to improve a lot of stuff, simply said this is the reason why the collission detection almost has no noticable effect).

Many changes to improve game performance included in here: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!

While there was still some jerkiness when first loading into a location during my own tests, it isn't so bad and doesn't take too long.
Plus it goes away and performance becomes better. As far as I can tell, this seems to be under control. :woot

I'll leave this issue open for another week or so. Then if we don't hear otherwise, "Fixed" it is. :whipa

Last edited:
To all players: Have you noticed this problem anymore in recent modpack versions?
As far as I'm aware, it should be fixed, but I'd appreciate confirmation!

I see some jerkiness when entering a new area that lasts 5-10 seconds and then smooths out.

Then there are the merchant menus. When scrolling along one time it is smooth and the next time it is jerky, but this is probably a personal problem.

That first part you mention is more of a feature than a bug. Sort of.
To avoid huge leading times, @Levis moved some character initialization to after the loading had completed.
That is all needed for the new Leveling System.
As long as it becomes smooth after those first few seconds, the original issue here sounds to have been fixed. :woot

When you say merchant menus, do you mean item or trade goods?
I noticed goods being slow on my computer too, but not unplayably so.
And the Inventory screen was crazy slow on Windows 10 for my brother.
Got better with the mod installed though. But that might be a Windows issue of some kind.

Yes the jerkiness when first entering an area is caused by the loading, and then it smooths out. This seems to be a good thing.

I mean the scrolling one. It varies as sometimes it is great and other times fast scrolling isn't very fast. Plus when it is slow it is very jerky. I blame this on something in Win X.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll consider the original issue fixed then! :cheers

Just remember that when frame rates fall too low the micro stutters can appear, making it look jerky.

Just remember that when frame rates fall too low the micro stutters can appear, making it look jerky.
You mean the problem that has plagued 3D sailing for so long?
That shouldn't happen anymore after my complete rewrite of the skill system, should it?
If it ever still does, I have one more trick I could try for that; but I'd rather not have to waste my time if it is already OK now. :facepalm

Oh, on land I don't know what's up.
Anyway, I'm still really happy sea is back to normal at last!
As simple as that might seem, it does help quite a lot with enjoying the game. :woot

after beta 4 we can take a closer look at what is happening on land.
Might have something todo with AI coding, from what I've seen that one is pretty weird also.
The merchant interface is still on my todo list, also for after beta 4 tough

Back