• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jolly Roger Selection

Legendary_Spider

Why is the rum always gone?
2D Artist
Provisional
Storm Modder
Would there be any way to enable an option so that when the player decides to be a pirate, he/she can choose which Jolly Roger they wanna fly?

I know there's a bunch of Jolly Roger flags in the game. I think it would be cool to be able to choose from all of the games Jolly Rogers and fly the one you want. And I know some Jolly Rogers were period specific, so you could make only the ones appropriate for that period that the person is playing available for choosing.

What say you?
:trio

That IS possible; all we need to have is an interface for the selection. It's VERY possible to do that manually through the code in mid-game and I have done that on several occasions in the Jack Sparrow storyline coding.

Can you show me how to do that with the code while we wait for a volunteer to make an interface?

open PROGRAM\console.c and find the following code:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
if (!bSeaActive) ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(pchar.location)];
ref ch;
int i;
int limit;
Add this line below it:
Code:
PChar.Flags.Pirate = 5;
You can change "5" to the index number of whatever flag you want from RESOURCE\Textures\Flags\pirflg[#].tga.tx .
[#] is the number of the period you are playing in, based on the below:
Code:
PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS			1
PERIOD_THE_SPANISH_MAIN			2
PERIOD_GOLDEN_AGE_OF_PIRACY		3
PERIOD_COLONIAL_POWERS			4
PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS				5
PERIOD_THE_CORSICAN				6
The index number is "0" for the furthest left flag in the TGA.TX file and "7" for the furthest right.

Now load your game, press F12 and on the next flag update, you'll have your new pirate flag on your masts. Note that the exact same thing works also for your personal flag, but replace "PChar.Flags.Pirate" with "PChar.Flags.Personal" and "pirflag" with "perflag".

It works.

So I just enter a number from 0 - 7 in the number spot? Giving me a total of 8 flags?

Example:

PChar.Flags.Pirate = 5; or PChar.Flags.Pirate = 2; and so on and so forth.

Sorry; my mistake. It's any number between 0 and 6, giving you a total of 7 flags to choose from.

In the last period, Personal = 2 will give you the US "don't tread on me" flag; you might like that one. :cheeky

7 flags per period; the selection is different in each time frame. :yes

What a pain. lol I have to play in different periods to see what all the flags are. :urgh

Would, or could, the time period effect also the personal flag choices in standard.c file? It would be great to add a bunch more flags for those ones also at some point. Actually why are we restricted to 7 flags only(or per period) at all in this(pirate flag) and personal flag options? I can't see where that limit is set, and maybe we can up that limit somewhere in the code to allow more flags for player choice etc?

The flag code is really complex, so I'd prefer not to touch it.
The limit comes from the original game limit on the number of flags in a single file.

The flag code is really complex, so I'd prefer not to touch it.
The limit comes from the original game limit on the number of flags in a single file.

Could you expand on that? Do you know where in the code is the limit set? The default limit of 7 seems an odd number(0-6) to be limited to, 0-9 i could understand better?

The limit is in RESOURCE\INI\rigging.ini, but the second limit comes from the TX Converter not allowing any larger files.
So if you want to add more flags, you need to squash the flags and decrease their quality in addition to changing the code.

Yeah i was thinking that was going to be the way. So who wants more flags, but ugly and pixelated!! yay....? No? ah well ;)

Back