• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jolly Rover Trailer Sets Sail!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
[imgleft]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7880/rover300x225.png[/imgleft] Brawsome has released the first trailer for their upcoming game Jolly Rover! The more I see of this game, the more I find myself looking forward to it! It has the feel of some of the old school 2-D Adventure games that I grew up with. Plus it combines two things that I love, dogs and pirates! The game will be available for download on June 7'th from Steam, Greenhouse, Direct2Drive Real Networks and a few others!

Our swashbuckling sausage-dog star is Gaius James Rover, son of the famous clown Jolly Rover, who died from a blow to the groin from an improperly loaded joke cannon.

Following the tragically comedic death of his father, young Gaius, who insists on using his middle name James, goes to live with his uncle, a wealthy plantation owner on a small Caribbean island. While practising a particularly tricky juggling move, he accidentally taints a barrel of rum with tobacco, creating a potent and addictive brew which he coins ‘Jolly Rover’, one of the most prized substances in the Caribbean.

Alas, the wealth of Jolly Rover sales only manages to fill the pockets of his uncle, and Gaius longs for action and adventure and, more importantly, the opportunity to start his own circus and follow in the footsteps of his father.

It is not long before the fumbled juggling ball of opportunity raps Gaius smartly on the head yet again. While his uncle is away, a large contract for Jolly Rover arrives from Guy DeSilver, Governor of the notorious Groggy Island, with payment upfront!

In a blinding flurry of optimism, Gaius pools his meagre savings with this advance and charters a ship and crew to take him to Groggy Island. Along the way he meets a colourful band of seafaring cutthroats, scallywags and rogues otherwise known as pirates.

It is here we begin to follow the short and stubby tail of Gaius across three wild and untamed tropical islands, as he attempts to fulfil his dream of starting a circus, hampered only by pirates, villains, voodoo, love and considerable lack of loot.

You can find out more about the game on the official web page HERE!

Also, Brawsome has a bit of a gameplay preview up on Youtube that they released last month. (what can I say? I am old and slow!)

Looks funny, I like it. Reminds me of those old point and click games from the early 90's.

Over at Ausgamers.com, they have an interview with Andrew Goulding of Brawsome games about his point-and-click adventure project, Jolly Rover!

AusGamers: Firstly, where on Earth (or beyond) did you come up with the game's premise? What sort of inspiration did you draw from for the comedy and characters?

Andrew Goulding: Aye, that be a tale. It's no secret that I'm a fan of the Monkey Island series, though I should say that when I say "Monkey Island series" I'm talking about Monkey Island 1 and 2. Though I might cop some flak for this, it's my opinion that the series got weaker with each sequel after LeChuck's Revenge, I feel similarly about Space Quest past episode 5, Quest for Glory past Episode 4 and King's Quest past episode 5. So, there's something about the games that were created in that period that were great, and they lost that towards the end of their lives. I think it had something to do with the people creating them and the size of the teams... but I digress.

My first idea for a pirate adventure was for the DS back in 2004, I thought the DS would be great for a point and click adventure. I initially called this idea Just Another Pirate Adventure, as a parody of pirates and point and click adventure, which followed my previous indie game Just Another Point and Click Adventure, which I saw as a parody of point-and-click adventure that started from my initial experiments with Adventure Game Studio. I worked as a programmer for four different games companies in the space of four years, and at each company I tried to push the design for this adventure with no luck. In 2008 I started freelance programming, for the simple reason that I wanted to work on Dave Gilbert's new point-and-click adventure Emerald City Confidential being published by PlayFirst. At the conclusion of the project PlayFirst decided to hire me for another casual point-and-click adventure Avenue Flo. It was around this time that I started thinking I could take Just Another Pirate Adventure to PC/Mac using the PlayGround engine that I'd become familiar with, but the design was very dated and somewhat immature in its design decisions, so I scrapped everything bar the pirate theme and adapted it for PC. But something was missing... I wanted to create iconic characters, and with humans they just felt too generic. I was remarking to a friend that Sam and Max had such fantastic silhouettes, you'd recognise them anywhere, and then it struck me, why not make the characters REAL scurvy dogs! Jolly Rover was born. This opened the floor to lots of puns and different takes on pirates as dogs 'Arrrf!'. My influences on this title were from games such as Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Space Quest and Quest for Glory. All these titles had a great sense of humour, and I wanted pay homage to those games, while also adding the things I learned while working on casual games to remove a lot of the things that block people from enjoying adventure games.

AG: What was the decision behind the point-and-click direction? Did you ever consider 3D or the like?

Andrew: Ah I believe you're asking why I wanted to go for 2D over 3D? Well, part of it was because I was very familiar to working with 2D PlayGround engine and I could prototype things very quickly, but another part was that I simply didn't like 3D adventures, both the look and feel - I like 3D RPGs, RTSs, FPSs and Action Adventures - but how I longed for a 2D point-and-click adventure. I just haven't played a 3D point-and-click adventure yet that I believe looks or feels as good as those 2D classics of yore. Sure we can up the res a bit to 800x600, but staying 2D makes it instantly accessible to those who played adventure games back in the early 90s, it's instantly recognisable, instantly nostalgic, it also hits home with the older demographic that are more likely to download casual games. That's not to say this is exactly aimed at a casual audience, more the adventure game audience, and hopefully casual as well, but the key here is accessibility. When I play a 3D adventure that feels accessible and isn't plagued with control issues maybe I'll change my tune. If I were to summarise this I'd say 2D looks and feels better for a point and click adventure. I could also say that we've come far enough with graphical ability to be able to have 2D as a viable artistic choice.

You can read the rest of the interview HERE!

I really like the behind-the-scenes information from that guy and,
as a consequence, I find myself being quite interested in that game.
And that's coming from somebody who never even played Monkey Island.
I did play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis though
and did quite like the point-and-click concept.

When it comes to my gaming, I spend pretty much all my time on modding PotC.
The only other game I've played recently was the first LEGO Indiana Jones.

It is really quite a well done interview, and definitely good to see an independent game developed for the reasons this one was! I played all the old games he referenced in the interview, and his assessment is pretty much spot on! I am really looking forward to playing this one. Brawesome will be getting my $20! :onya

Back