• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Killing Mateus Santos quest problem.

AB704

Landlubber
Playing Build 14.

After visiting Vito in Sao Jorge where I decided not to kill him I went back to Jamaica to Mateus his house where he talked to me and then dissapeared into his study.

According to the quest walkthrough his guards behind me should attack me.
But they stand there lifeless and I can't talk to them, trying to hit them does no damage and the NPC's don't respond.

His study remains locked so I can't advance.
What can I do?

You've posted this in the section for the "Assassin" storyline. If you are indeed playing this storyline, you should not be looking for Vito in Sao Jorge because he's supposed to be in Point a Pitre instead! The problem is that the code for the storyline version is largely copied from the normal sidequest, so the Sao Jorge tavern keeper still tells you that Vito is in the church there.

Download these and put them into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS". You'll then need to load a savegame from before you went to Sao Jorge. The Sao Jorge tavern keeper will then check if you're playing the "Assassin" storyline and only tell you about Vito if you're not. And Vito won't offer the choices to kill him or walk away if you're playing the storyline, since taking either of those options will break the storyline's version of the quest.

Or just load the savegame and go to Point a Pitre on Guadeloupe instead of Sao Jorge. ;)

Attachments

• Duarte Correja_dialog.c
    11.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Vito Leone_dialog.c
    5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Update: I'm playing this storyline myself and have just completed this part of it.

After talking to the tavern keeper in Point a Pitre, I met Vito Leone in Guadeloupe's church, then went to Mateus Santos' home. He did indeed disappear into his study and his three thugs attacked me. After killing them, I went to the study, killed Santos, and proceeded to the dungeon, where three more thugs cowered in terror. They're supposed to attack as well.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: I added this to case "Hit_killed_Mateus":
Code:
           LAi_SetWarriorType(CharacterfromID("Thug2"));
           LAi_SetWarriorType(CharacterfromID("Thug7"));
           LAi_SetWarriorType(CharacterfromID("Thug8"));
           LAi_group_MoveCharacter(CharacterfromID("Thug2"), LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS);
           LAi_group_MoveCharacter(CharacterfromID("Thug7"), LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS);
           LAi_group_MoveCharacter(CharacterfromID("Thug8"), LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS);
Changing them to warrior type stopped them from cowering, and moving them to LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS made them hostile - without that part, they didn't cower any more but they didn't attack either. Then I loaded up a savegame from just outside Santos' house, fought Santos' first three thugs, fought Santos, went to the dungeon, and this time the dungeon thugs attacked. Have you any objection to me adding this fix to the next update?

Also, the standard "Hard Labours of an Assassin" sidequest now has a line to assign price 1 to Santos' keys so that you can drop them in a chest. Would you like me to do the same for the storyline version?

@Grey Roger

Ahoy there, I didn't replied earlier because I gave up on it and I fixed it 3 days ago in fact after reading a several year old thread about main quests "may" get bugged if you happen to have taken the town yourself, which I in fact did as I owned port royal.
Reloading a save before the particular mission and giving the town back to the british made it work as I could progress in Mateus's hideout. I'm not sure what the deal with that is anyway but at least it debugs these issues.

In that thread I read it actually said you couldn't use free to play functions such as taking over towns only if you had finished the main quest first. Shouldn't it be only possible then to only sack the town getting x million gpcs from the governor without allowing you to own the town because this option is in fact available for me during the assassin storyline.

As for your fix suggested to Bartolomeu, I think it's cool regardless. It's just that I think the actual problem was controlling the town anyway. But since Santo's has a big mouth his thugs shouldn't behave like cowards anyway so it may be a fix nonetheless:p

I'm not sure how taking Port Royale for yourself, or for anyone else, would affect Santos' thugs - and if it did, handing Port Royale back to England shouldn't help. Santos' thugs have not been assigned to a nation and shouldn't care whether Port Royale belongs to England, you or anyone else. When you tried the mission again, did you go to Sao Jorge again or did you go to Guadeloupe this time?

Some storylines block the capturing of towns significant to the story plot. "Tales of a Sea Hawk" blocks the capture of several towns, including Speightstown (so you can't take it from the French before Silehard does) and Bridgetown (so you can't take it from Britain before the story wants you to). "Assassin" does not, but capturing towns shouldn't break any quests, it would just make nonsense of the story - for example, France is supposed to be secretly helping Portugal by sending a warship to Sao Jorge, which will look silly if you've captured either St. Pierre or Sao Jorge.

The same is true for Mateus Santos. Did you notice in the vice admiral's briefing that he tells you how Santos formerly worked for Spain, but Spain didn't like his methods and disowned him, so he went to work for England instead? That's why Santos, normally based in San Juan for the "Hard Labours of an Assassin" sidequest, is now living in Port Royale. And Santos says that Ambroz Bricenos sent an assassin to kill him, another nod to "Hard Labours of an Assassin" in which you are that assassin.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: I added this to case "Hit_killed_Mateus":
Code:
           LAi_SetWarriorType(CharacterfromID("Thug2"));
           LAi_SetWarriorType(CharacterfromID("Thug7"));
           LAi_SetWarriorType(CharacterfromID("Thug8"));
           LAi_group_MoveCharacter(CharacterfromID("Thug2"), LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS);
           LAi_group_MoveCharacter(CharacterfromID("Thug7"), LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS);
           LAi_group_MoveCharacter(CharacterfromID("Thug8"), LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS);
Changing them to warrior type stopped them from cowering, and moving them to LAI_GROUP_MONSTERS made them hostile - without that part, they didn't cower any more but they didn't attack either. Then I loaded up a savegame from just outside Santos' house, fought Santos' first three thugs, fought Santos, went to the dungeon, and this time the dungeon thugs attacked. Have you any objection to me adding this fix to the next update?

Also, the standard "Hard Labours of an Assassin" sidequest now has a line to assign price 1 to Santos' keys so that you can drop them in a chest. Would you like me to do the same for the storyline version?

Yes, you can make these changes :yes

I'm playing this storyline myself
So am I, nearing the end, and I have three comments.

- The letters of marque given by the story seem to not go away. When I betrayed the Brits during the Isla Mona part I still had my british letter of marque afterwards and was even up for promotion, when I betrayed the Spanish I was still Teniente de Fregata or something like that. I don't know if it would be better to delete those letters of marque when Elting abandons the respective country story-wise, but it would fit the story.

- It has been talked about before that the vice-admiral is hardly satisfied with the capture of La Couronne, and this hasn't changed. First I beautifully defeated all three french ships and sank them for XP, of course I quickly learned I should have kept La Couronne. Should have payed more attention. Second attempt, I captured La Couronne and gave her to Chico Cois, then the vice-admiral says I need to command her, so I swapped ships with Chico in the F2 menu, but after that couldn't discuss anything other than "....." with the vice-admiral. So only when I captured La Couronne the third time and claimed command of her immediately it worked.

- The same battle of three french (including La Couronne) and four british ships near Cozumel never goes away. In the end I only took La Couronne and left the other two french ships, so I saw the battle resume when I teleported to Vera Cruz via Cozumel, and on my return from Vera Cruz, when Elting goes to Cozumel because of a storm, I once again went to sea to find myself in the middle of the battle between the remaining two french and four british ships.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: any comments, as this is your story?

My own thoughts:
. The English don't know who blew up their fort at Isla Mona. If they caught you, you won't have completed the mission! So unless you upset them by sinking ships belonging to England or its allies, they have no reason to remove your LoM. Likewise, after you join Bartolomeu, you kill both Enrique Padilla and the Vice Admiral, and the rest of Spain doesn't know what you've done. Unless you attack Spanish or allied ships, they also have no reason to remove your LoM. Of course, continuing the game without upsetting one side or the other may be tricky, especially if you want to play in character and remain friendly to Holland too...

. @Bartolomeu o Portugues : what do you want to happen if the player either sinks La Couronne and fails the mission, or tries to keep the ship for himself by giving it to an officer? Immediate arrest for failing the mission or double-crossing the Vice Admiral? Or should the Vice Admiral allow you to go and find the ship? I can't think of a way to detect that you have the original La Couronne but it should be possible for the Vice Admiral to be satisfied if you give him any ship of the type. So if you sink the ship then you'll have to find another "FR_Couronne" in a random encounter somewhere. If you gave the ship to an officer then you can easily retrieve it.

. The ships at Cozumel certainly ought to go away. I'll check that myself when I reach that point in the story.

- The letters of marque given by the story seem to not go away. When I betrayed the Brits during the Isla Mona part I still had my british letter of marque afterwards and was even up for promotion, when I betrayed the Spanish I was still Teniente de Fregata or something like that. I don't know if it would be better to delete those letters of marque when Elting abandons the respective country story-wise, but it would fit the story.
Is it the storyline that forces you to lose those LoMs?
Normally in gameplay, if you behave badly in one nation's service, the losing should be automatic...?

The storyline does not force you to lose the LoM's. Unless @Bartolomeu o Portugues wants you to lose them, it can stay that way. Elting is supposed to be sneaky, so neither England nor Spain know that he's betrayed them unless he does it explicitly by sinking Spanish or English ships.

Portugal is hostile to both Spain and Holland, and allied to England. So if you sink Portuguese ships, either while you're still working for Spain or after you've made your peace with Holland, you will lose the English LoM. And, of course, if you start attacking Spanish ships when you join up with Holland, you'll lose the Spanish LoM.

That leaves France, who are hostile to England and, after you expose the French sneaky help to Portugal earlier in the story, no longer allied to Spain. So you can attack French ships, earn promotions with England, and not lose the Spanish LoM. But Holland is allied to France, so you won't want to continue attacking French ships if you want to stay friends with Holland.

Choose your friends and enemies, then face the consequences...

@Pieter Boelen go play storylines :razz

@Grey Roger seems valid, but from a role-play narrative perspective I think he can't get away with anything. Take this: New english privateer goes to Isla Mona, suddenly everything blows up there and the privateer disappears. Wouldn't the english admiral make some inquiries through his spies and learn that Elting has been a spanish mercenary all along?

Although, you could make a point that if he doesn't disappear and simply continues to present himself as an english privateer after that, he could shake off any suspicion. But then again wouldn't the spanish vice-admiral be displeased and wary about Elting continuing to do privateering for the english after his undercover mission as an english privateer? In the framework of the story with spies, mercenaries etc. I kinda thought of everybody keeping track of everybody, e.g. the vice-admiral keeping track of Elting. Anyway my first thought was that the privateering for the english was an undercover mission to get to Isla Mona, and the ruse gets both unstable and unneccessary after the success at Isla Mona, so I expected this alliance to end at this point.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues:
what do you want to happen if the player either sinks La Couronne and fails the mission, or tries to keep the ship for himself by giving it to an officer?
Hang him and afterwards throw him into the sea.:whipa

Next time, he will listen more carefully to the Vice-admiral.
Otherwise, no need to change anything about the LoMs.
And yes, can you fix the ships at Cozumel? :cheers

Seems to be a great idea:guns:
Otherwise, @Grey Roger, when the Vice-admiral gives the mission to capture La Couronne, maybe you could add in the quest text a hint saying the player must bring the ship back and command her.

And yes, can you fix the ships at Cozumel? :cheers
I shouldn't need to. This is in "quests_reaction.c" at case "acaba_mona":
Code:
           Group_SetAddressNone("French_Captain1");
           Group_SetAddressNone("French_Captain2");
           Group_SetAddressNone("French_Captain3");          
           Group_SetAddressNone("Jeremy Tripper");          
           Group_SetAddressNone("English_Captain2");
           Group_SetAddressNone("English_Captain3");
           Group_SetAddressNone("English_Captain4");
Which is why I said that, when I reach that point in the story, I'll check that they do in fact disappear.

As for the questbook, how about this, which is the line added at case "capture_couronne" when you capture the ship?
Yes! La Couronne is mine. Let's moor this amazing ship at Havana. I must present the ship to Vice-Admiral Benavides myself, so I must be in command of her.

I'll see about arranging an execution if you aren't in command of La Couronne, or at least a "FR_Couronne", when you report back to the Vice Admiral. Alternatively, the Vice Admiral could simply demand that you bring him the ship. "Tales of a Sea Hawk" does something similar when you're supposed to bring Rabel Yverneau's ship to Governor Silehard - if you don't have the ship, he simply tells you to go and get it, and won't let you continue the story until you do. (In fact, I've a suspicion that I already tried that, which is why the Vice Admiral says "I see you captured 'La Couronne' but you are not captaining her. Please return after you have her under complete control." If that was me then I forgot to set the dialog to go back to the part where he checks if you have the ship, so the dialog reverts to the basic "First time", which is ".....". That's easily enough fixed.)

I didn't remember I already added the code for removing the fleet.
Yes, I like the change you made in the questbook.
And yes, fix please the dialog text in order to not revert to the "First time" case:onya

I've reached the point in the story where I had to capture La Couronne. Having given the ship to one of my officers because I really like the super-xebec, I returned to the vice admiral, who now has corrected dialog files.

First time when I report back and don't have La Couronne myself:
no_couronne1.jpg

Second and subsequent times:
no_couronne2.jpg

Updated dialog files are attached.

Attachments

• Salvadore Benavides_dialog.c
    29.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Salvadore Benavides_dialog.h
    24.1 KB · Views: 135
I shouldn't need to. This is in "quests_reaction.c" at case "acaba_mona":
Code:
           Group_SetAddressNone("French_Captain1");
           Group_SetAddressNone("French_Captain2");
           Group_SetAddressNone("French_Captain3");       
           Group_SetAddressNone("Jeremy Tripper");       
           Group_SetAddressNone("English_Captain2");
           Group_SetAddressNone("English_Captain3");
           Group_SetAddressNone("English_Captain4");
Which is why I said that, when I reach that point in the story, I'll check that they do in fact disappear.
So I went to Cozumel, and the French ships weren't there because I'd previously captured the lot. The English ships were there. I tried various things to make them disappear - fortunately I still have my savegame from when I was about to hand La Couronne to the Vice Admiral and test the new dialog, which also provided a convenient place to trigger "acaba_mona" and check Cozumel again. And finally I spotted the mistake. "French_Captain1" is the captain's ID. But 'Group_SetAddressNone' needs the group ID, which is "French_Captain1_Ship". After I changed the whole lot to the group ID's, I talked to the Vice Admiral again, triggering "acaba_mona" as well as the start of the 'Oranjestad siege' section, then headed for Cozumel, and this time the English ships were gone.

Last edited:
Back