• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

lack of xp

Furious D

Landlubber
is there any way to stop the thing that makes you really crap on big ships if you got low experience??? keep getting my ass kicked by nations

1)Cheat.

2)Sell your ship or lay it up somewhere and buy a ship that is within your skill until you level up enough to be able to command the bigger ship.

For example if you're at level five, you can't effectively command a 1st or 2nd rate ship, not even a third; even if you have the best officers. It's all part of the PIRATES skill system introduced in COAS. Unlike AOP or POTC I believe, you could be at level one and command a 1st rate just as easily as you would a 6th.

Sorry if I rise to add... :rolleyes:
The problem is not your level in general, but your level "navigation".
If you do not have a sufficient level (your level!) of navigation for the ship, you can have a good Navigator Officer, which has a sufficient level of navigation.
The levels of navigation (your or of the Officer) necessary are:
ship rate 6/7: lev 1
ship rate 5 : lev 25
ship rate 4 : lev 40
ship rate 3 : lev 65
ship rate 2 : lev 80
ship rate 1 : lev 95
In the beginning of the game you can not have a sufficient level of your navigation. You need to find in the taverns an officer (also shark or bloody assassin!) that compensates your disability, or remains for months on a lugger ... :slap

but is there any way to code it that i can just jump straight into a man o war????

AH jeez here we go again. Why is it that you kids of today want everything yesterday and be top man on the totem pole immediately?? :shrug
This game is a good game if you take your time and look things over, don't be afraid to experiment a little ( you know, get your feet wet..... :rolleyes: ) and take your time. Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the AI, etc.
If all you want to do is fly through this game with top-dog equipment then it won't be long before you are bored to death and throw it into the trash can because nothing is going to work right.

Then you'll be hollering.......It's A BUG! :c ( well it might be cause there is quite a few. :modding )

Just slow down a little, start with the small stuff and slowly grow, be patient, before you know it you will be up in ranks and have the best ships in the game. :cheers

You know you can do it. :onya

but is there any way to code it that i can just jump straight into a man o war????
AH jeez here we go again. Why is...
Quote all! :onya
The phase of the game that I like is when they are on the pier, without money, with a little ship scrap and 4 cats of crew... :cheeky
Like Jack Sparrow when he arrives in Port Royal with the tartan stolen on Anna Maria ... :dance
And the ships are more fun to use luggers, the brigs and the xebec Blue Bird :keith
(Moreover, the man-o war is bad to use for normal navigation ... is good only for to shell)

I agree with Pirate_I_Am, the game is far more fun trying to get yourself up through the ranks just so you can sail bigger and better ships. Starting with the MOW means when ever you enter a battle almost all the time the enemy ships will sail away inless they have good ships like yourself. Don't get me wrong the MOW is a nice ship but its more impressive to fight for what you want and not dominate the game. To tell you the truth if i capture a MOW i will either sell it or store it for some other time perhaps to test something out or to attack a fort, its very rare i use the MOW's. I like to use a Frigate with a max of 46 guns or a trade ship like the Fluet which has 18 guns depending on if you have COAS CM V2 installed then you will see other trade ships with more guns mounted. But i only use them to make me money fast and build up some skills. Other wise i'm out in a small ship battling away with pirates and other enemy fleets.

I agree with giocoso too, its fun trying to make enough money to cover the crews wages, repairs (if any) and but a new ship. Just to have more fun i don't sell the ships i capture i sell the goods on them and sink them, i don't even swap my shiop for any ships i capture no matter how tempting it is. Only when i have the piasters to buy a new ship will i sail a different ship. Ever tried making a furtune in a ship with a 500 units space of cargo available, its tough but fun, and to make things more challanging it can only mount 8, 12 Ibs guns.

If we can get the direct sail into COAS then that will open the door to even greater gameplay aspects because you can then bump into other ships at sea without having to go back to the world map. That is something i look forward to, but till then i have my Bermuda Sloop to making things interesting for me. A MOW pah, where's the fun in using them? and having the shotgun and best spy glass from day 1 of the game?

theres a shotgun???? sweet.

anyway i've fallen for my new slope i took of a pirate so i'm gonna keep this awhile and explore. anyway is there a main quest in the game and if o how do i start it. if not i it just a potter around the place selling stuff and blowing others up???

Yes there is a quest, in fact there are many quests. Some that are generated at random and the nation questlines. To activate randomly generated quests speak with the store owner, he will give you merchant quests where you deleiver cargo from XX to XX, the port controler who will ask you to find a missing ship, shipyard will ask you to steal some ship plans from a shipyard and return them to him. And other's around town will give you randomly generated quests.

The nation questline is however a little tougher, you can do govenor quests which can be things like find the spy in town in X amount of day's, sink/capture the pirate ship thjats been preying on ships around the island in X amount of day's etc, doing these quests for the same nation will one day allow you to start the nation questline for that given nation. Or you can head to the pirate settlement and purchase a letter of margue from a guy in the tavern and head to the main port of the set nation you purchased the margue for and speak with the general governor who will then give you quests for the nation questline.

You can hunt pirates all day every day, transfer good to and from ports for a nice tidy profit, smuggle contriband goods in and sell them to the smugglers for a very tidy profit and a big risk of finding you've been followed and a bunch of gaurds attack you and the smugglers then when you get back abourd your ship find yourself battling with as few ships which can be any class of ship.

There's alot to do in this game you just have to go looking, the Sloop is a nice ship with 16 guns mounted and a decent cargohold ou can make a nice profit with that ship and its good enough to escape from bigger ships. You can head to the pirate settlement at Bermuda and upgrade your ships speed, cargohold, hull strength, maximum amount of crew, the ships agility and maximum calibure your ship can mount.

To change ships names, press F2, click tab marked ship, you will see just bellow the image for your ship the ships name, left click with mouse in that box and delete current ship name. Rename ship what ever you want, be warned there is a maximum amount of characters you can use, not sure how many i think its about 16 to 20 but could be wrong. When the ships name has been entered press enter (i alway's do anyway) and click on the red X to go back to sea mode or press esc which ever you like.

Yes there is a quest, ......... sea mode or press esc which ever you like.

very detailed thank you. i meant to say schooner not sloop. named it Lord Nelson so am happy now. working on the isabelle quest now. the pirates won't give me a letter of marque, says he has no blanks... :shrug

i think you'll love this wee story i got
ok i was sailing outta burmuda (the pirate island) in my schooner when i was attacked by a friget, two brigs and a war ship (whatever that is????).
so i stood no chance at winning the fight so off i go and try to out run them.
suddenly i find my self in the outter circle of rocks so i found a bunch grouped together and hid in the middle.
stupid ai ran themselves aground destroying the frigate and one brig and all i was left with killing was one brig which had lost her foremast. :razz
warship was completely demasted so i just sailed into the horizon. :sail
:dance
stupid pirates

with the isabella mission i'm trying to find her brother but that port where his ship last was (cunama or somethin) keeps calling me a spy :? and killing me.... i have the 30 day trading thing but still can't get in. i'm playing under Brits.

You must also have the fly the flag of Spain perk. Otherwise the fort will always open fire at you upon seeing your colors.

no mate i'm droppin' anchor round the corner and hiking in. guards immodestly attack me on entering... where do i get a Spanish flag?

It's a ship perk, next time you level up and get a perk, invest that point in a Spanish flag. Then if you have the merchant license, change flags and then sail into port. The guards will then stop you and you'll inform them you have a trade license, then they will tell you how many days it's still good for.

If you sneak into town, you must have a high level of stealth and/or luck, otherwise they will make you out and attack.

ok so saved the lady, and going to kill the hubby and spain keeps seeing through my fake flag. any ideas to stop this? and is there any way to become allies with spain? if not can i just take over the city and kill hubby that way? actually starting to enjoy this game once i got my head around the controls. now have two schooners :dance

ok so saved the lady, and going to kill the hubby and spain keeps seeing through my fake flag.
1 any ideas to stop this? and is there any way to become allies with spain?
2 if not can i just take over the city and kill hubby that way?
actually starting to enjoy this game once i got my head around the controls. now have two schooners :dance

1 having a trading license for Spain should work unless Spain is having a bounty on your head. check if you are flying the flag, when asked by guard say "i have a trade license. "
you can work on work for Spain's governors and after some time they will give you the letter of marquise so you can start the main quest of Spain.

2 only if you have ended some main quests except English, after that you can capture towns for yourself or your nation

if you like your schooner you will love blue bird, would suggest doing it and getting dis fabulous ship.

... except English...
Why? :8q
Also with the end of quest-line english.
Capture towns for yourself or your nation is possible after the end of each quest line. And, only for yourself, also after the end of quest-line of pirates.
And to enter Spanish ports is sufficient Dutch flag (Netherlands and Spain are neutral, in the first stages of the game), with trading license for Spain; it is however necessary to not have bounty (spanish) on your head.
If you have the bounty, go to a pirate port, and pays the "diplomat" (in tavern) to improve relations with Spain.
Yet the diplomat you can buy the license Buccaneer, but only if you not have already started the quest line pirate or of another nation.
You can not make two quest-lines at the same time.
But the quest of Isabella is quest private, not is part of quest-lines, is independent of their; Only problem is access to Spanish ports (S. Juan, Cumana, Puerto Bello, Belize). The problem is overcome as I explained, not with the conquest of the city or with the license of Spanish buccaneer.

have trading license and spanish flag. fort still attacks me.... sucks...

in every spanish port but the one where the husband is i have no trouble entering...

What you can try is sail near the town at night with your Spanish flag but make sure you're far away so the fort doesn't spot you. Then fast sail to the port and quickly press the space bar. If you're lucky you'll be landed at port before the fort can ID you as an enemy.

If you get in, carry on your business wisely, the soldiers will make you out if you get too close to them.

Back