• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Le Corsaire Reshade for NH Maelstrom

Mazioman

Landlubber
Hey all, here's a Reshade preset I've hastily thrown together. I was originally going to title it 'The Masterful and Commanding' Reshade as the look reminds me of the film, but that's way too wordy. Instead, I went with 'Le Corsaire' because it's a piratey word in French and the game looks much more like how I'd imagine the Napoleonic era looked in my mind's eye, and Napoleon was French so...yeah, I'm no good at naming things....

To describe what it does: It tones down the colors and uses some of Reshade's techniques to utilize some nice effects from more modern games like sharpening, HDR, and adaptive tonemapping. Interiors look VERY hit-or-miss and if anyone wants to work on this and improve any aspect of it, please do. I'm not a huge 'credits' guy, I'm mainly concerned with contributing something to the community and I think this would be nice enough as-is, but an excellent base for further tweaking and personalization.

Instructions if you've never installed Reshade:
1. Download Reshade (Link) and select whatever location your Maelstrom.exe is located at, you'll likely have to manually browse to find it, make sure DX9 is selected as the rendering method. When it asks you which shaders you'd like included, select all of them until you get to the Legacy Shaders option, in which case you need to select AmbientLight.fx and leave all others untouched.
2. Download my handy ReshadePreset.ini file and drop it into wherever your Maelstrom.exe is.
3. Enter the game, the preset should load up by default, ignore any errors and go through any tutorials as needed.
It's a pretty easy process and very plug-and-play oriented. I'd upload my entire setup with the binaries and all, but the creators of Reshade don't like when people do that and I'll respect their wishes.

Here's the preset:

Attachments

• Le Corsaire Reshade.7z
    4.9 KB · Views: 155
And here's copious amounts of screenshots:
Demo1.JPG
Demo2.JPG
Demo3.JPG

I may have edited my ShipsInit.c file to make everything have the potential to spawn, so here's my English Galleon having something unprintable done to it by a pirate Constitution-class.
dEMO5.JPG

Note that the shot above has DOF applied which I turned off. This is an effect I'd love to see implemented properly if anyone who knows how DOF works would like to take a stab at it.
dEMO6.JPG

The Main theme of First Contact was playing when the 6th-Rate to the right passed between my ship and the heavier frigate. I had some wine that night and it nearly made me cry for some reason.
dEMO7.JPG

The Walrus giving fire.
dEMO8.JPG

dEMO9.JPG

Here's how the days look when it's bright.
dEMO10.JPG

And an evening shot.
Demo11.JPG

No words, just Zen.
Demo12.JPG

Oh we're beating to quarters boys, all hands on deck!
demo13.JPG

I did in fact steal that sloop.

Dump 2:
demo14.JPG

Tried something new!
demo15.JPG

I always rename this model to the 'Jackdaw' everytime I capture one. Remove the ornamentation and you've got an excellent base model if someone wanted to do an edit.
Demo16.JPG

Now for a shore shot. A sure shot? Shoreshot? ShureShoreShote?
Demo17.PNG

The interiors can look really good if the tonemapper operates correctly!
Demo18.PNG

Brighter brights and darker darks for a more contrasting experience.
Demo19.PNG

Shot of Jamaica. Note the AI-upscaled textures from the P.U.P. (Pirate Upscaling Pack). If that continues to gain traction, it's gonna make the game look great!
Demo20.PNG

Last shot of me butted up against an English frigate. I'd love to do an upscale of the deck crew textures to make them look a bit nicer for people that like sailing in FPP.

That's all for now, please post your own screenshots and any nifty edits to the preset you make, I'd love to see what people could do with this as I think it's pretty nice.

Well done mate! Looks incredible like Master & Commander cinematic. I only disabled the blur and sharpening effect. Awesome! Worldmap looks a bit strange but thats ok.

Back