• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Levelling: Cannot Save Game During PostInit Process

Okay I got a fairly good idea what is going on. If I can make my laptop behave I think I can fix it.

Okay I've got my laptop working again and I was able to confirm the problem on my laptop. Let's see if I can fix it. Hope to have an update tomorrow with some fixes. So don't worry @Pieter Boelen

Hmm....the problem seems to lie in the interface and not the saving/loading.
Quicksave does work on these occassion..

If people wondering I am making progress on this. I do have a good pause en resume function now which tackles some other problems (which aren't yet reported but I found out by figuring out this). But I haven't been able to get the save interface to work as I want. I do have some idea's still so not to worry :).

@Levis: Until you figure out a proper fix for this, would you be able to disable saving altogether while PostInit is still running and any save would be corrupted?
With an explanatory note in the interface, of course. At least then our testers would be able to anticipate it and prevent too bad consequences.
Obviously NOT a fix, but may be better than nothing.

My way of getting past this is to remember to wait a bit. Often that does not work so if I save and then see the blank save screen I cancel, go back to the game, and save again. This time it always works.

@Levis: Until you figure out a proper fix for this, would you be able to disable saving altogether while PostInit is still running and any save would be corrupted?
With an explanatory note in the interface, of course. At least then our testers would be able to anticipate it and prevent too bad consequences.
Obviously NOT a fix, but may be better than nothing.
If I can't get it to work today I will .

That's already substantially better!

As an alternative, I was wondering about doing the whole post init during start new game.
Would take a long time, but it would at least be only once.

Or exclude certain characters from Leveling altogether.
There is little point for citizens who have no weapons, for example.

That's already substantially better!

As an alternative, I was wondering about doing the whole post init during start new game.
Would take a long time, but it would at least be only once.

Or exclude certain characters from Leveling altogether.
There is little point for citizens who have no weapons, for example.
If you have a good way to filter some out im happy to add it.
Doing it at the start takes to long. And it wont take fantoms.

Unarmed citizens are the only ones that spring to mind.

Alternatively, could a default progression for each officer type be defined?
Maybe using a pre defined list would be faster than each character semi randomly choosing their own skills in a loop in a loop on the fly?

Unarmed citizens are the only ones that spring to mind.

Alternatively, could a default progression for each officer type be defined?
Maybe using a pre defined list would be faster than each character semi randomly choosing their own skills in a loop in a loop on the fly?
I found out how the difference between event and postevent work so I might now be able to tweak the code even more (and make it simpeler again). This should improve the loading time even more.
I also noticed during loading a lot of processing power is gone unused. So with the help of some carefully tailored events I should be able to harness the power of paralell processing which the engine supports to init characters during each loading screen for as long as it loads. This shouldn't add much time to the loading (in a perfect world non at all but I guess the engine adds a bit of overhead when things run simultaniously) so I might add 1 or 2 seconds to the loading times as long as there are characters to init. But that would allow me to pre-process them already during these times.

I found out how the difference between event and postevent work so I might now be able to tweak the code even more (and make it simpeler again). This should improve the loading time even more.
I also noticed during loading a lot of processing power is gone unused. So with the help of some carefully tailored events I should be able to harness the power of paralell processing which the engine supports to init characters during each loading screen for as long as it loads. This shouldn't add much time to the loading (in a perfect world non at all but I guess the engine adds a bit of overhead when things run simultaniously) so I might add 1 or 2 seconds to the loading times as long as there are characters to init. But that would allow me to pre-process them already during these times.
Seems I was wrong and I can't do this XD.

Just did the "Hornblower Start" test on this one. The "screenshot" appeared just fine AND the save worked.
So definite improvement there! Thanks @Levis! :bow

Just did the "Hornblower Start" test on this one. The "screenshot" appeared just fine AND the save worked.
So definite improvement there! Thanks @Levis! :bow
I hope the files I posted finally are 3 steps forward and non back :p.
*crosses fingers*
:sparrow

Back