• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Levis' new stuff v0.1 [Last Update: May 17th 2019]

I'd prefer the sidequest not to have opium.

Replacing the opium smuggling quest with a rum smuggling quest definitely sounds good! You'd need to decide whether the smuggled rum is items or cargo, though - it can't be both. If it's items, it's bottles which you could store in your cabin. If it's cargo then it's barrels which would go in the hold.

Perhaps tier 1 is somewhere near the bottom of the chain, so there are several of them behind some of those unused doors in towns. You'd only get bottles from them, and then only a few at a time. Tier 2 could be tier 1's suppliers, so there are fewer of them and you could buy larger quantities of bottles at lower price per bottle because you're skipping tier 1 and not having to pay their profits. And tier 3 could be the producer, there's only one, you can buy even larger quantities of bottles - or perhaps this is where you get the barrels to go into your hold. Bottles could be smuggled to users, the same as the opium quest. Barrels would have to be delivered to smugglers on a beach.

I'd already been doing a bit of thinking about this, though I was considering using whiskey instead of rum. And so I was thinking about an illicit still. There's a building item "distillery" which uses model "B_distillery.gm" and which could perhaps be added into a house interior to create the illicit still. This would be out of town, partly to avoid prying government eyes and partly because this may be where they grow the crops which are processed and distilled to create the alcohol. I haven't implemented any of this, though. But I have done a bit of scouting for places to put the still, and came up with three possibilities:
  • "Tortuga_Jungle_01" - this is a house similar to Rheims' house on Bonaire, you get there by going through the Tortuga town exit.
  • "Tortuga_town_exit" - not the exit location itself, but this location is similar to Speightstown exit, with three paths. One goes back to town, one goes to "Tortuga_Jungle_01", and one doesn't go anywhere - it's reload isn't defined. So you could create a whole new location and link it to "Reload1".
  • "Cayman_Jungle_09" - another clone of Rheims' house. If you fall into the dungeon on Cayman and find the exit, it leads here; or you can walk here through the jungle.
"Cayman_Jungle_09" should not to be confused with "Cayman_Pirate_house_01", which looks like Clint Eastwood's house on Nevis and which is used in the "Bartolomeu" storyline. For that reason, we should not use "Cayman_Pirate_house_01" for the illicit still. Likewise, Clint's house, "QC_Pirate_house", is used by the "Jack Sparrow" storyline so it's off limits for the illicit still.

So how do you prevent the player from finding the illicit still before having earned the right to do so? Simple. You can go there, but the distillery isn't placed until you're allowed to see it. The occupant has some generic dialog, perhaps copied from "Enc_resident_dialog", then add in some extra dialog, triggered only when you've done what is necessary, which handles the illicit rum stuff. So initially he behaves just like a normal, law-abiding home-owner. Only when you've done what is necessary to access tier 3 will you see the distillery and get the rum dialog.

Sorry to chime in at the middle of the discussion, but about the hallucinogen, what you do think about ayahuasca? It's more of an Amazonian thing rather than from the Caribbean, but it could make more sense since it has that mystical side, and there are some indian NPCs in some Dutch colonies. About the opium, I agree that rum would be more fun; opium smuggling was never that fleshed out, neither fun, to be honest.

By the way, are the changes integrated in the build? At the time I'm trying to finish college (last semester, yay!), but I'm thinking of coming back in the future, I wouldn't mind doing some testing.

Sorry to chime in at the middle of the discussion, but about the hallucinogen, what you do think about ayahuasca?
@Levis already added that to the game, but for a slightly different purpose.
I can't quite remember the details, but I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you. :doff

By the way, are the changes integrated in the build? At the time I'm trying to finish college (last semester, yay!), but I'm thinking of coming back in the future, I wouldn't mind doing some testing.
These ones aren't, but I'm certain @Levis would be very happy to have someone to test it!
If you can confirm that it is okay, hopefully it can be integrated in the stable Build version as well.

Part of the revised "smuggling.c" is the use of 'TranslateString' on the various parts of the tavern news for a change in smuggling state. However, it does not quite work properly because 'TranslateString', or rather another function called by 'TranslateString', appears to strip trailing spaces from the strings fed to it. So the tavern news misses the spaces at the end of 'Increase_Message1', 'Increase_Message2', 'Decrease_Message1' and 'Decrease_Message2'.

'TranslateString' takes two string arguments and if neither is blank, it puts a space between them. So this is my version:
Code:
   if(sisland.smuggling.state == SMUGGLING_LOW) SmugglingState = "lax";
   if(sisland.smuggling.state == SMUGGLING_NORMAL) SmugglingState = "normal";
   if(sisland.smuggling.state == SMUGGLING_MEDIUM) SmugglingState = "tight";
   if(sisland.smuggling.state == SMUGGLING_HIGH) SmugglingState = "very tight";

if(change>0)
   {
       logTitle = sisland.name+" "+TranslateString("","Increase_Patrol");
       logEntry = TranslateString("","Increase_Message1")+" "+sisland.name+TranslateString("Increase_Message2",SmugglingState)+".";
       WriteNewLogEntry(logTitle, logEntry, "General", false);
       if(DEBUG_SMUGGLING>0) trace("SMUGGLING increased state of "+sisland.id+" to: "+sisland.smuggling.state);
   }
   if(change<0)
   {
       logTitle = sisland.name+" "+TranslateString("","Decrease_Patrol");
       logEntry = TranslateString("","Decrease_Message1")+" "+sisland.name+TranslateString("Decrease_Message2",SmugglingState)+".";
       WriteNewLogEntry(logTitle, logEntry, "General", false);
       if(DEBUG_SMUGGLING>0) trace("SMUGGLING decreased state of "+sisland.id+" to: "+sisland.smuggling.state);
   }
The 'TranslateString' is removed from each line defining 'SmugglingState', and the states themselves are now the original descriptions rather than the generic "SmugglingState1", "SmugglingState2" etc. (I may do the same to "Increase_Message1", "Decrease_Message1" etc.) "interfacestrings.txt" is changed to match. A space is added manually between "Increase_Message1" and 'sisland.name', then 'TranslateString' is used on "Increase_Message2" and 'SmugglingState' together, which puts the space between them.

I tested this by starting at Barbados, sailing to Eleuthera to give plenty of time for a smuggling state change to happen, then checking tavern news. The original version is missing the spaces, which is what alerted me to the problem in the first place. The revised version is properly spaced.

These ones aren't, but I'm certain @Levis would be very happy to have someone to test it!
If you can confirm that it is okay, hopefully it can be integrated in the stable Build version as well.

Sadly, I'm still on a rough month or two, and that's without counting my thesis. But around August the waters should calm, if nobody else steps forwards meanwhile (and if Levis is patient enough :p) I would be glad to test the changes! Incidentally, I love smuggling, so I could test that too.

Hi Levis, I tried this with the latest 17 May update of 14.1 beta but think it may not yet be compatible. When I stared a new game on the Standard storyline - Malcolm did not appear on the tutorial cabin - so could not proceed. It did work with the free play storyline and ardent. I don't have an error file or config file to upload as I am away at the moment.
Hope this helps.

Hello, maybe you can help me. Am I changing Import/Export goods(file Islands_init.c) to make them more historically accurate and diverse. In this file, you also can change contraband, but it has no effect in the game. Maybe there is another file that effects it?

Hello, maybe you can help me. Am I changing Import/Export goods(file Islands_init.c) to make them more historically accurate and diverse. In this file, you also can change contraband, but it has no effect in the game. Maybe there is another file that effects it?
Please upload those necessary files after you're done changing the values to make it more "historically accurate" right? :yes It's always the goal to make the game as realistic as possible. Oh and please do include any references where you have based those changes as well if you can. :cheers

I 'll definitely do that. I mostly use history articles from Wikipedia. Don't expect a lot of historical accuracies thou) Almost all islands produced the same goods(mainly sugar, tobacco, and coffee) for export in Europe. There was little trade between the islands.

I 'll definitely do that. I mostly use history articles from Wikipedia. Don't expect a lot of historical accuracies thou) Almost all islands produced the same goods(mainly sugar, tobacco, and coffee) for export in Europe. There was little trade between the islands.
Well, any improvements are still welcome!
Though of course, since our game is limited to the Caribbean only, some trading between islands does help the gameplay. :cheeky

Back