• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

L'Hermione Update, Headed Home!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
The last stop in Breast last weekend gave the crew a chance to do some maintenance and repair work after the last couple of weeks of Sea trails. The crew also got a bit of a lesson in Navigation and map reading, and also some more sailing instructions from a couple of the professional sailors on board. The crew also came to the realization that they are now part of history, being the first crew to sail this historic vessel. You can read more about that and see some great pictures over on their Google translated blog HERE!

It's been a bit of a rough last few days for L'Hermione and her crew. Since the last day in Brest it has been mostly rainy and cold and they have had to deal with a bit of rough weather and rolling seas. Some of the topmen even had a bit of a bout with seasickness. But she was able to make some good time, running along nicely at about 10 knots. Again, some great pics and more info on the blog!

Dockside in Brest with boatswain Arnaud

Here is a bit of a navigation lesson from crew volunteer boatswain Alice.

This video is a bit of tour around the innards of L'Hermione, unfortunately there is not very much at all in the video description as to what is being shown, If someone fluent in French would like to give a bit of a translation on this one, it would be greatly appreciated!!

And this last one, night shift on L'Hermione!

Attachments

• L'Hermione_voyage_2015.png
    L'Hermione_voyage_2015.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 27
That tour video was awesome! They do have her packed quite full, but yes, she is quite spacious and there even appears to be plenty of headroom.

Just a bit of an update to my update, she is currently anchored of Île d'Oléron, where the crew is in the process of removing and stowing her sails and rigging in preparation for winter, and lowering her masts so she can sail back up the Charente river to her dry dock. As it was described by Anne-Laure in their blog, it is like L'Hermione is loosing her leaves in the fall, only to have them flourish once again in the spring!

Again it shows the athleticism and skill needed to sail this ship. If I was only 30 years younger.............

On a side note it looks like I finally got win8.1 running videos reliably. What a mess.

Timelaps from yesterdays trip up the Charente river to her drydock at Rochefort.

@Thagarr, innards video:
Rigging operator Nicolas takes us on security walk-around, which are carried out at all times (?), in any conditions, be it at night, open sea, or port. Someone is always checking if there are no leaks, smoke, or unattached stuff. He starts in sail locker at the bow, checking if everything is fastened in place and if there is no seepage. Then we are taken to machine room where one basically 'checks if the dial arrows are not on red and there's no smoke'. Further aft there is "technical room" or workshop, an area belonging to chef (master?, tech. chief?), it is pierced by pumps bodies. Then follows kitchen, where apparently no knives should be let loose and several big fridges are checked to be still functioning. Behind it there's a larder and 'trash locker'. The last one is engine room from which a hatch leads up to the deck above. The last compartment on orlop deck is a big room with infirmary, sails workshop and 'hanging-out' space with books. It contains the rudder, and it's lines have to be checked for wear and tear as well. We are walked trough berths, which I have impression there are 3, 2 long ones at each side with utilities in the middle and a short center-forward one. There is always someone resting, so sound discipline is upheld. The checker-person also has to look if the unconscious look healthy. Then around fore-mast, carpentry workshop and wood stocking-space is located. Curiously, fore-mast in French is mât de misaine, which can be confused with English mizzen. Last one is boatswain's locker, where Nicolas checks if no spare parts are dangling and making noise. And again, if no water is seeping in. We are then led back trough starboard berth with people sleeping and trough the aft stairway to gun deck, where immediately a dining hall is located, and where all guns' fastenings have to be checked. Last one is a great cabin (?), 'the secret room' (officers only) so I guess it's aft on the gundeck. Checkbook is signed and the walkaround is completed.

Last edited:
@Ashinokami thank you very much mate! That translation is greatly appreciated!! :woot

In other videos, I have heard them refer to that room with the books ere the crew hangs out as the library, I thought the pirate flag was a nice touch! :onya:pflag

Back