• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Limit availability of "Fast Travel to Ship" option

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
So this might be a feature but I found it a bit weird, it looks like it could be exploited really easy.
When fast traveling to the ship I can then go "back" to the location I was before. Isn't this an easy way to prevent traveling to jungle etc if I'm on the other side of the island?

That is indeed an intended feature.

Whether we still WANT it is a different story.
Not even sure why there should be an "instant travel between where you are and ship" option.
But for now, it is there. :shrug

That is indeed an intended feature.

Whether we still WANT it is a different story.
Not even sure why there should be an "instant travel between where you are and ship" option.
But for now, it is there. :shrug
I still think the fast travel to the ship should only work if you are in the town where the ship is docked

It altos certainly make logical sense to me to limit that feature in some way.

Did you know it can theoretically teleport you to another Island?
That can happen if your ship is on another Island than you are.
Which never happens in regular play. But still....

It altos certainly make logical sense to me to limit that feature in some way.

Did you know it can theoretically teleport you to another Island?
That can happen if your ship is on another Island than you are.
Which never happens in regular play. But still....
I know .... for my quest I want you to go somewhere without your ship for a little while. So I'll just disable fasttravel untill you are back.

Indeed, that's how I prevent the player from teleporting to the ship at various points in "Hornblower".

But as for being an easy way to avoid walking through jungle - don't you still first need to walk across the island to get to the other side, then you can teleport back to the ship? After that, if you don't want to run the gauntlet of highwaymen again , you can teleport back to the ship (if not prevented by quest code).

You can indeed teleport to your ship when it's at another island. This will be either intentional or unintentional. Intentional is if the quest has put your ship somewhere else, but then you can prevent teleporting by disabling fasttravel. Unintentional is if something has gone wrong with the quest code and the ship isn't where it's supposed to be, which is how I found a mistake in my "Hornblower" code at one point.

What might be useful is if teleport to ship can be disabled separately from fast travel. If a quest intentionally puts your ship out of reach, it may be useful to disable teleport to ship while still allowing fast travel to locations in town.

But as for being an easy way to avoid walking through jungle - don't you still first need to walk across the island to get to the other side, then you can teleport back to the ship? After that, if you don't want to run the gauntlet of highwaymen again , you can teleport back to the ship (if not prevented by quest code).
Perfectly true. :yes

What might be useful is if teleport to ship can be disabled separately from fast travel. If a quest intentionally puts your ship out of reach, it may be useful to disable teleport to ship while still allowing fast travel to locations in town.
For all I know, that may already be possible. And if not, that sounds like it shouldn't be so hard to set up when needed.

Back