• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Load game after death

inverted

Landlubber
I guess I'm not the only one having to repeatedly keep loading at certain situations (at higher difficulties), and it always bugged me why the game has to exit to Main Menu each and every time, so after accidentally deleting a profile (a new one luckily) I decided it's really time to fix that mess. Changing the load screen to actually have the "Load" button selected as default and the delete profile confirmation to not offer "Ok" as the default answer (how stupid that is...) I moved on to make the game open the Load Game screen when you die. But I only succeeded at making the game not exit to main menu, instead opening the in-game menu.
The files are up on the FTP if anyone is interested, or in the downloads sections currently awaiting admin confirmation.

So where I would need some help is figuring out why you cannot load a game directly after death. I can make the game to open the load game screen using LaunchLoadGame(), but all the saves give a "Bad save" image (you can check it by replacing the LaunchGameMenuScreen() with LaunchLoadGame() in GameOver() (in the seadogs.c I uploaded) - don't worry, it does not actually corrupt the saves, just can't read them for some reason.
The strange part is that meanwhile if I make it open the game menu from where I open the load screen, its all fine. I've checked and the load button in the game menu calls an event that does nothing else but call LaunchLoadGame() so there are absolutely no intermediate changes. My only idea is that there's something that the game/main menu loads or stops that is required, but I just figure out what. I've tried tweaking with interface states, but there's no effect. :shrug

I'm seriously out of ideas here, so I would be grateful to you for any.

Back