• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Locations on the world map?

blackrabbit

Sailor Apprentice
I just started playing again after a long break and installed build 14 alpha 10 and started a new game as Nathaniel. I like just sailing around pirating so I figured this was the best way to go but the problem is it's hard to find places since they don't seem to be on the worl map until I actually visit them. I've forgotten where a lot of the smuggler beaches are, some of the cities and things like that and now I find I am sailing around the islands to a spt going into 3d sailing mode and seeing if I can moore there. The sail to option doesn't seem to show up until I've visited a place at least once. Is there a map in game I can buy that shows places or a setting I can change or do I have to just sail around until I find the place I'm looking for?

You have put realistic settings on and Im afraid this is what you get for putting them on (as well as other realistic things)

Buy maps and you will be fine ;)

Im in the same position Mr. blackrabbit is....i just decided to play this game again and installed this new mod version and today i discovered the same thing he did....

Well, exploring new places is one of the exciting (and boring, sometimes) things that we can do now...so enjoy it! :keith

At the moment im just sinking ships near jamaica under the governor's orders....but sometimes the battle drags me to other islands and i get lost when it happens xD:

Well, the HMS Surprise is a wonderfull ship, but my 42 4lbs guns are too weak and im starting to get annoyed with this....so when i earn enough money to buy new guns, im going to explore the other islands and kill all the pirates, french, spanish, dutches and americans that dare to cross my way!!! MUHUHUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :dance

I've been looking around for maps to buy, hopefully I find some soon lol. sailing around until i find someplace i can moore is a pain.

You can buy maps at the item traders. Note that you need to click the 'Maps' tab or you won't see them.
The default tab is 'Weapons'. Most traders have a couple of maps.

You can enable Arcade game mode and you'll get instant Fast Travel again.
I happened to have written up something on everything that's different in Realistic Mode a few days ago.
You might find it interesting:
Here's some stuff that's different in Realistic GAME Mode (it's not limited to just sailing anymore):

- Realistic Sailing Mode
. Wind direction has a much bigger impact and you can't sail into the wind anymore (in Arcade mode, you can)
. Different rig types have a MUCH bigger impact than in Arcade mode

- In Arcade mode, based on what spyglass you've bought, they will show:
. Nation
. Ship name
. Ship type
. Cannon type of other ship
. Hull and sail damage
. Number of crewmembers
. Speed
. Charge type (eg. balls, chainshot or grape)
There IS an inaccuracy built into these spyglass observations (can be increased or turned off in "Advanced Options"),
but since a real spyglass cannot give you this information at all, in Realistic mode,
your spyglass tells you only other ships' name when they're close, but nothing else.
Spyglasses only enlarge the view (better spyglasses enlarge more) and you have to observe the other ships yourself.
So you'll have to pay proper attention to the other ship's type, colour scheme and flags to define whether she could be hostile or not.

- "Fast Travel" ashore is disabled for most locations, until you manually discovered them by walking through town.

- "Sail To" at sea is disabled for all locations until you've manually discovered them by sailing to them.
The buyable maps here really help you to find certain shores.

- "Sail To" at sea is disabled for all ships that are too close to you (no instant-teleports to right next to the enemy ship)
and also for all ships that, based on your speed relative to the other ship's speed, you cannot overtake.

- Ashore, when there's enemies around, the red flashing icon and danger music doesn't start until they actually draw their swords.
This way, you are not pre-warned of any impeding danger.

- Realistic Game Mode removes 'list of ships' log messages upon entering 3D sailing mode at an island

Thanks, that IS helpful. I found some maps last night and though they arn't 100% accurate I was able to find the locale nearby close to the point on the map. I've always played in realistic mode but this is the first time I've played in SUCH a realistic mode lol.

If you have any comments on how we could make the realistic mode more realistic or more playable and fun,
don't hestitate to post them. ;)

I've always played in realistic mode but this is the first time I've played in SUCH a realistic mode lol [2] :onya

If you have any comments on how we could make the realistic mode more realistic or more playable and fun,
don't hestitate to post them. ;)

Changing the sails system....

If it would be possible to choose wich sails you want to make or not, it would be way more realistic.

If the modders managed to create the whole Caribbean, it isnt impossible to change this.

I know that it means that EVERY ship would have its own code that allows to make its sail, since the ships have several types of rigging.

But, it is worth a try, isnt it?

Actually, we didn't make the whole Caribbean.
In fact, we made no island at all. We copied them from the Russians.

As for the sails, that's very much a game engine thing.
Unless we get access to the source code, it seems we cannot control that.

Can someone give me some tips on finding some of the places on the maps? Some of the shores and coves are really hard to find becasue the in game maps aren't very accurate in some places. I sailed around Hispaniola for an hour and only was able to moore at one cove so far :( Makes a smugglers life very difficult lol.

If it's really annoying to you, you can always disable Realistic Sailing mode.
Though I wouldn't really recommend that. So just try to make use of the maps.
That's the best help there is at the moment.

Oh, if you DO find shores that show up on the wrong spot on the map,
Could you tell us so we can update the maps to be more accurate?

Back