• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Long time no see

So?

• Man, seriously. I love the POTC models.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Finally someone who got his bowl of crazy right this morning.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Imperial

The landlubber
Storm Modder
What the hell happened?
I remember the first days when we were working on GOF 1.0 and I suggested removing all the ugly, non-fitting POTC models from our repertory of models.

It's not quantity over quality people, that's what made CoAS awesome.

Lets not even talk about the hideous nav_eng/fra/spa/hol models, made of a spit in a bucket in number of polygons.

Greyhound? Call it a damn "English Corvette", seeing bazillions of Greyhounds looks like Poseidon stole hunting dogs from some hunter in ND.

MK is doing an excellent work, and if he wishes help I'd be more than glad to help, but don't repeat the error man, don't add worthless things like 8 ships per squadron if this compromises stability.

I hated spending countless hours through Maya and fix those goddamn masts.

GOF 1.0 started as a hell of a mod, but it ended up being a Combined Mod II.

Where was the soul? I feel sorry for Craiggo who spent a life doing all the hulls and stuff.

What the hell happened?
I remember the first days when we were working on GOF 1.0 and I suggested removing all the ugly, non-fitting POTC models from our repertory of models.

It's not quantity over quality people, that's what made CoAS awesome.

Lets not even talk about the hideous nav_eng/fra/spa/hol models, made of a spit in a bucket in number of polygons.

Greyhound? Call it a damn "English Corvette", seeing bazillions of Greyhounds looks like Poseidon stole hunting dogs from some hunter in ND.

MK is doing an excellent work, and if he wishes help I'd be more than glad to help, but don't repeat the error man, don't add worthless things like 8 ships per squadron if this compromises stability.

I hated spending countless hours through Maya and fix those goddamn masts.

GOF 1.0 started as a hell of a mod, but it ended up being a Combined Mod II.

Where was the soul? I feel sorry for Craiggo who spent a life doing all the hulls and stuff.

Well let me say that what we did with GOF was pretty darn amazing in my book. A bunch of guys got together and even though we were all working on different parts of it we made a really expansive set of mods in a fairly short amount of time.

You will be glad to know that you will not see a bunch of greyhounds in GOF Eras. Only the English have that ship and when you look at it in your spyglass it will say "English 6th Rater". It may be annoying for some people because they won't find the ship they really want with the enemy and will have to possibly attack their own country to get that special one they want and then ask for forgiveness later.

You are right about Craiggo. He did some amazing work. Not that many of Craiggo's textures are in GOF Era's MOD2 (1648-1725) because they were more fitting for later era ships which is the era he prefers. However, most of his textures are retained in GOF ERAs Module3 (1750-1815) which I am still working on.

I disagree that there was no soul however. The GOF mods have been downloaded a couple hundred thousand times....that's pretty good in my book. Thanks for your offer of help Imperial, but Mod2 is finished and going up shortly. I plan to take a break from modding for a few months now. When I take up work on Module3 again I will gladly accept your help. I'm planning on putting a team together for that one because we need to change some things. Pirates are now the USA in that mod. I was impressed with the work done on Freelancer, so know you would be able to help me. Thanks

MK

I don't know why GoF was pretty much abandoned, but the people who worked on it basically just disappeared.
For well over a year now at least, I have been asking if a new version can be posted on the ModDB.
I'm quite willing to help making the installer while I'm still on dry land. But so far, nobody has taken me up on that offer.

At some point, I was helping out with GoF modding as well.
But I sort-of stopped trying when my guides on how to do things apparently never resulted in much of anything happening with it.
There's only so much I can do. :facepalm

Well some of the GOF mod members check in from time to time. They just got sick of it and burnt out on the game. I'm sure I would be the same if I didn't have Aspergers. Ships and history are my focus obsessions since childhood.

Luke is obsessed with his racing games and farming simulator. Craiggo is in school getting a Visual Arts degree - he's made some neat stuff. Officerpuppy is also a full time college student now. I'm hoping maybe Eras picks up some interest in modding COAS again. Maybe we can even tempt Jonathan back. He has told me in the past he will help me with stuff but he's not always easy to get a hold of.

Jan told me he would fix the lower boarding decks in Eras when I put the mod out. He said rather than explaining to me exactly how to do it - it would just be easier to do it himself. I hope he does. If not, I am going to pull in Jonathan and pick Pieter's brain to try to get it working. That will be my Christmas project for patch1.

MK

Well some of the GOF mod members check in from time to time. They just got sick of it and burnt out on the game. I'm sure I would be the same if I didn't have Aspergers. Ships and history are my focus obsessions since childhood.
I managed to stick around for PotC for 9 year now. So it's not unheard of. :shrug

Jan told me he would fix the lower boarding decks in Eras when I put the mod out. He said rather than explaining to me exactly how to do it - it would just be easier to do it himself. I hope he does. If not, I am going to pull in Jonathan and pick Pieter's brain to try to get it working. That will be my Christmas project for patch1.
I won't be around for Christmas, I'm afraid. Have you considered asking Jan Marten if he got anywhere with it yet?

Well to be honest I will be pretty busy at Christmas as well but likely tinkering in my spare time.

I think Jan was waiting for my mod to be finished before he started. He has it working in German Edition because I've seen it in their videos.

You will be glad to know that you will not see a bunch of greyhounds in GOF Eras. Only the English have that ship and when you look at it in your spyglass it will say "English 6th Rater". It may be annoying for some people because they won't find the ship they really want with the enemy and will have to possibly attack their own country to get that special one they want and then ask for forgiveness later.

I'm curious about how you dealt with ships captured by navies outside their countries of origin. Those weren't horribly uncommon.

I'm curious about how you dealt with ships captured by navies outside their countries of origin. Those weren't horribly uncommon.

Well call my mod a little antiseptic but the only place you will see that and then rarely are at shipyards that might happen to have a foreign ship in stock. One of the strongpoints of my mod from a gameplay perspective is that each nationalities ships have an extremely clear delineation in appearance. You will know its a Dutch, English, or Spanish fleet even without seeing flags. Ships sold in export such as Cat-flutes, Flutes of War and the Holland Frigate will sometimes be seen in other countries navies. Holland had more ships during the Golden Age than England and France combined. Eighty percent of merchant ships in the world were Dutch built. There were reasons for this. The sawmill was invented in Holland and they began an immense timber import trade with Scandinavia. Add to this windmills, peat and canal transport and you have both constant cheap energy and a network. Shipbuilding and export became a major industry in Holland.

So you will see an occasional export ship in other countries convoys - mainly merchantmen though. I have all of the numbers and names for every fleet action fought in the 1660s through 1680s to include line of battle and squadrons. In both the English and Dutch fleets you see the notations example "Black Bull-48 (captured Dutch Deventer)". They usually only make up a handful of ships in any fleet. You might see one or two in one squadron out of four.

Now its very amusing to me because I think that each sides shipwrights and re-fitters may have had national pride, rivalry or disdain for the other side's ships. Rarely were line of battle ships captured put back into the line and I think that's because of how different they looked. They might cause your own side to shoot at you. Amazingly, these ships were most often broken up for timber. Even the great prize Royal Charles - the English 1st rate flagship was broken up after being flaunted in display in Amsterdam to the Dutch people for a year or so.

The smaller rated ship that were captured and seen in the other nation's fleet were most often used as.......LOL......wait for it......fireships. xD

So you see its quite a different period than the late 18th century where you have all of these French corvettes and frigates captured and converted to English standards with heavier wood knees, bulwarks and such. You do bring up a good point for GOF Eras 3 which I will attempt to have finished by this spring or summer. That is that we can take a French Corvette and change the texture slightly and then give it a little heavier stats and armament and less speed and enter it as its own new ship. We could call it English Corvette(CF) or some such code CF meaning Captured French. I'm always open to ideas.

MK

I agree with Moderknight1 here. While complete realism tells us that a "wrong"-nation ship in a convoy may have been captured, from a gameplay perspective it is just better to be a bit more rigid.

Same thing i see.
Being dutch, i snagged a 22x24Pounder (6th Rate, ex greyhound) from the British.
Love that thing, except the open cannon deck that makes my Crew miserable in intense sunshine or Rain.
No place to hide.
But i have set my eyes on a French 32 Barrel Frigate (Rossya?!??) and... i can for the life of me not find one on the Market.
Been running around for a year now, and ... i will get myself in deep DooDoo with our Friendly french neighbors, just to own one of these some day.

at least the lines are clearly drawn on who owns what and that brings much needed clarity to the game.

Actually, I would say a an open gundeck is better for really hot weather. Enclosed decks above the waterline can get extremely, painfully, horridly hot, and have no airflow. In theory, vessels intended for operation in warmer climates were more open, and vessels intended for operation in colder climates were more enclosed. Besides, you could always put awnings up. (Not in the game, of course.)

will do will do. :)
as soon as i find a suitable block!

(Roude Leif / Red lion)
aw.jpg

Back