• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Making POTC work with Windows 7

shoephone1

Landlubber
I know there have been several topics of the sort, but I am having significant trouble installing POTC and patches onto my computer so that they work (to any extent). I own a Toshiba Portege M750, running Windows 7 64-bit. It has 4 gb of RAM and 80 gb free in its hard drive. When I install it, it will start, and bring me to the menu. When I start a new game, the program ENGINE crashes. What instillation path do I take to get POTC to work? Thank you.

Every computer is different, but these are the usual suspects. :robber:

Do NOT install PotC into program files. Install it directly into your C: drive. If that doesn't fix it, then check your Data Execution Prevention (DEP) and make an exception for PotC there. These are to stop windoze security settings from stopping the program from running.
Next, do a search for ffdshow. Make an exception there if you have it. I didn't know I had it on my puter.

Lastly, you have Intel integrated video. That means you need Swiftshader. You can install it when you install Build 14 Beta 1 Full. There is an option given for installing ENB and Swiftshader during the install. BUT! Those options got switched by accident so that checking ENB installs Swiftshader. You do not want ENB. Or you can go to the ModDB and get it there separately. Here is a link to the modDB page. Scroll down to the bottom. http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

I hope this helps. :mm

Intel onboard = trouble. SwiftShader will allow the game to run, but probably not very smoothly.
It's the best we've been able to find though.

Am I like the one and only person that didn't have any issues with POTC on Windows 7? I really consider myself lucky that I'm not having any of these technical issues.

The issues actually have nothing to do with the OS. DEP was introduced with XP. So almost everyone has it. Ffdshow is separate from windoze. I got it as part of an editing program for sound and movies. The most common error is simply forgetting to run rename.bat.

Do NOT install PotC into program files. Install it directly into your C: drive. If that doesn't fix it, then check your Data Execution Prevention (DEP) and make an exception for PotC there. These are to stop windoze security settings from stopping the program from running.
Next, do a search for ffdshow. Make an exception there if you have it. I didn't know I had it on my puter.

Lastly, you have Intel integrated video. That means you need Swiftshader. You can install it when you install Build 14 Beta 1 Full. There is an option given for installing ENB and Swiftshader during the install. BUT! Those options got switched by accident so that checking ENB installs Swiftshader. You do not want ENB. Or you can go to the ModDB and get it there separately. Here is a link to the modDB page. Scroll down to the bottom. http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

eh where is ffdshow located. i run on a different language than english, and do you have to use shwiftshader when you run build 13 '?

I'm not sure about that ffdshow; I think that's just a codec package that you can download. If you have it, you can probably uninstall from the Control Panel.

You don't need SwiftShader unless you have an Intel onboard graphics card. If you do, that is the only way we've found to make the game run at all, with or without modpack.

Nope windows 7 is all good, the only real problems are as have been mentioned intel graphics cards and fffdshow on occasions :shrug

I have ffdshow in two locations. Or HAD..... :d: It is in Format Factory and should have no effect on POTC when it is not running. It was also in the K-Lite Codec Pack. I could not find a way to create an exception there, so just deleted it. The rest of the codec pack is ok.

I vaguely remember messing with this when first installing PotC well over a year ago and thought I had set up an exception. Anyway, onward through the fog! :rumgone

C: drive meaning Harddrive? please can you help me, its like my first time having a probelm like this with a game. I put the disk in and then it comes up with setup i click to start install as you do, then it comes up with 'where should Potc be installed' its already selected the location C: Program File/Beth.... what do i do to make it work ?

:gday mate.

Program files is the problem. "C:" is your hard drive. Probably the simplest thing to do is erase "Program Files" from that path. You could erase "Bethesda Softworks too if you want to. All you really need is "C: POTC".

Eerr. Then install it and see if it runs ok. If the stock POTC runs well, then you can install Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full. Then go into your POTC folder and click on config.exe and unclick safe mode. You also might want to set the screen resolution to 32 bit.

If your screen resolution is not there, then you will want to open the engine.ini. At the top you will see "screen_x" and "screen_y". Set your screen resolution there. That should be enough to get you started. Read the documentation and also the FAQ on this site.

Here is a link to the FAQ. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/

Back