• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Malcolm Hatcher's Introduction Dialog

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
When you start a new game on the Standard Storyline, as well as many of the Free Play options, you are greeting by Malcolm Hatcher with his usual introductory dialog:
Code:
"Malcolm Hatcher reporting for duty Sir! Whew, that was a close call Cap'n. We barely made it into this harbour. That was the worst storm that I've seen in all the years I've sailed as first-mate. All the lightning out of nowhere, the ghostly St. Elmo's fire, the unnatural, sulphuric colour of the sky... small wonder that the hands claim this was no ordinary storm...",
"What do you mean 'no ordinary storm'...",
"Will you just spit it out man! Just tell me what you're doing here in my cabin!",
"Sorry Malcolm, no time for ghost stories. The lookout reported a #senemy# battle fleet is on the way and I would hate to get in the middle of that. I know that the storm is raging, and that I may end up far adrift or even shipwrecked. However I'll face that risk, and set sail right away. Goodbye and good luck!",
"Erm... well... I mean... not NATURAL. There's much talk about such things in the fo'c'sle. During our last shore leave some of our hands met a tavern girl who claimed to be a 'voodoo priestess of love'. She made quite an impression on our boys, told them their fortune out of the size of their... eh, well never mind; the point is that she seemed to know all about this ship and you. She said that you were destined to clash with some evil power, and warned the hands about sailing with you. Makes me worry, Captain...",
"Really, Malcolm! You should know better than to worry about such nonsense. Sailors are a superstitious lot, and these islands are ripe with legends and voodoo tales, but we senior officers should not fall for such stuff.",
"Well, this time it seems to be more than the usual fo'c'sle talk. During my shore leave some cutthroat approached me and tried to talk me into helping him kill you! Seems like someone's put a price on your head, and that piece of scum promised me a share of it if I lured you into a trap.",
"Hmm... it looks like I have some mortal enemy. Small wonder, you just can't sail these waters without running afoul of someone sooner or later. Surely someone is seeking revenge for some slight, or a killed relative maybe? But I am sure you took care of this assassin, eh, Malcolm?",
"Well, I made sure that he will do no harm to you, or anyone else, ever again; but there will surely be others. So many desperate villains roam the streets of these Caribbean outposts that you can hire an assassin for a pint-o-rum. And don't expect any help from the corrupt colonial authorities. The town guards won't lift a finger to protect people like us. You've got to watch your back all the time, and you'd best take a bodyguard with you when on land.",
"Just great! It seems my adventure in the Caribbean is going to be more risky than I was made aware of back home, I'll have to be careful until I've got my sea-legs and learned more about my hidden nemesis. Is there anything else you need to tell me Malcolm?",
That is quite an epic story and has been updated in 5 years, if not longer.

That is a mod-added feature and I suspect it was originally intended to announce various of the then-new features.
Of course now that hardly serves a purpose anymore.
In fact, with it being used in different Free Play scenarios, the allusion to the Standard Storyline hardly make any sense.
And the whole "superstition and supernatural" element may provide a nice atmosphere, but only fits in with SOME ways of playing the game and may be quite inappropriate for others.

So it occurred to me that perhaps we should do a bit of tinkering on that whole dialog.
After all, this is the FIRST thing new players will likely see. If they notice it is the same as 5 years ago, they'll quickly ignore what comes next.
But if we update it, there is a higher chance that they'll notice that thing ARE different.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this should be rewritten?
At the very least some idea of what we DO and do NOT want in there?

Here's one suggestion. I have left the battle fleet reference since that gives the reason to head on out to stormy start I think.

EDIT slight change to file

Attachments

• Malcolm Hatcher_dialog.h
    34.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Here's one suggestion. I have left the battle fleet reference since that gives the reason to head on out to stormy start I think.
Thanks! Had a quick look through it and as far as I can see, you've covered the main subjects. :onya

Though I do wonder if the wording should be changed.
Rather than Malcolm saying things are "too complicated" now, have him try to convince the player that the world is more interesting and exciting with plenty of opportunity or so.
Otherwise players may be scared off by the negative connotations, while of course all these changes are meant to add to the game, not subtract from it.
In other words: It may be different, but should also be better than it was.

Of course you do have the player trying to convince Malcolm of just that, but I would be surprised if the actual players would notice the difference between who is saying what to whom.... :oops:

Here Malcolm in a more upbeat frame of mind (but still a bit uncertain) - feel free to adapt it or ignore it and take another tack altogether.

I thought the book reference would allow either (or both) to be in the chest at the start.

Attachments

• Malcolm Hatcher_dialog.h
    34.4 KB · Views: 184
I thought the book reference would allow either (or both) to be in the chest at the start.
You really think we should indeed put the book in the chest at game start? Could be done, I suppose.
If players don't notice and don't take them, they should still get them at the appropriate times later in the game.

You really think we should indeed put the book in the chest at game start? Could be done, I suppose.
If players don't notice and don't take them, they should still get them at the appropriate times later in the game.

I don't know just a thought really, if any, probably the relations one since that's where you could be screwed before you realize it.

If they are a real novice they might look at it being the first book they have seen, if a returning player just after a refresher then again its presence might spur them to notice something different is afoot. Experienced players are never going to get there anyway - unless they noticed the changed introduction and it has already made them wary enough to investigate further - at which time even they might read it.

My experience with the tutorial locking up was Malcolm wouldn't let you go on until you had everything out the chest (even when it was a rogue item you couldn't actually take) don't know if that holds true when it's working properly.

I don't know just a thought really, if any, probably the relations one since that's where you could be screwed before you realize it.
Possibly, but only if you REALLY screw up by committing a major act of piracy right off the bat.
You get a warning on your first "Unrespectable Act" with questbook entry to guide you toward the book if you didn't already have it.

If they are a real novice they might look at it being the first book they have seen, if a returning player just after a refresher then again its presence might spur them to notice something different is afoot. Experienced players are never going to get there anyway - unless they noticed the changed introduction and it has already made them wary enough to investigate further - at which time even they might read it.
True, there is indeed no harm in putting it there. :doff

My experience with the tutorial locking up was Malcolm wouldn't let you go on until you had everything out the chest (even when it was a rogue item you couldn't actually take) don't know if that holds true when it's working properly.
Malcolm checks whether you have your needed items equipped; he shouldn't care whether there is anything still left in the chest.
I've found an Albatross there once and just left it there. Didn't block the tutorial. :no

Just looked at it in game (again) and Malcolm's line 9 "Yes!!...." may be a more natural reply as "Indeed not Captain!..." - he's answering the last piece which is a negative led question in "can't sail these waters...." rather than "I'm sure you'll agree" -if you care to make the change sometime.

Just looked at it in game (again) and Malcolm's line 9 "Yes!!...." may be a more natural reply as "Indeed not Captain!..." - he's answering the last piece which is a negative led question in "can't sail these waters...." rather than "I'm sure you'll agree" -if you care to make the change sometime.
Done on my side. :doff

I may have some ideas for tweaking his dialog further, but I don't think I have time just yet to actually be creative with that.
My general thought was to have Malcolm's dialog be all grumpy and have the player counter his every argument. :rofl

With an alternate dialog starting along the lines of:
"Well Captain, I have to admit I would not fancy standing in your shoes with all the challenges you face and important decisions you have to make."
Haven't quite thought it out yet....

Back