• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug "Master at Arms" missing from Change Officer's Role list.

MrMister

Sailor Apprentice
So I found out today that Master at Arms is an officer role, contributing only the Grappling stat and boarding-related skills.

AFAIK an officer can only be a Master at Arms if that's the role they were hired as (the one they say they are good at during the job interview), as Master at Arms is not present in the Change Officer's Role list.

See images:
maa.png
no maa.png

Playing the latest version with the latest hotfixes from the build thread, and in 1600x900 resolution, for what it's worth.

I can confirm that "Remove from post" still turns them into a "sailor" on a fresh installation consisting of: installing base game -> Build14_installer_25052018.exe (with b14_beta4_final.tar present; checked Widescreen Textures and ENB) -> the custom d3d8.dll to make it use the dedicated GPU in integrated+dedicated setups -> post_25May_updates_130121.zip -> run Config.exe to set resolution to 1600x900 and disabled Fullscreen -> Enabled Brothel Access, disabled corpse auto-looting and enabled Sweden in the in-game options -> Started a new Tales of a Sea Hawk game with all default parameters -> Disembark in Speighstown -> Complete all tutorial objectives to let officers spawn -> recruit a carpenteer -> Remove him from his post.

Here are the log and a savegame with an officer already in "sailormode". The logs are from a session where all I did was load a savefile from the tabern, recruit an officer (this time as a Master at Arms), then Remove him from his post which turns him into a sailormode, then quicksave and quit the game.

Attachments

• Sailormode officer.zip
    666.9 KB · Views: 203
  • compile.log
    2.5 KB · Views: 210
  • system.log
    510 bytes · Views: 221
Thanks for checking, @MrMister!
I've now marked this as "Needs Testing" which, in this case, needs someone from the Modders to try and replicate it.
If that is done, hopefully a fix isn't too much further away. :)

@MrMister That is really weird. I don't follow how you said you've installed your game but it should not be even playable if you did something wrong.
I tried your save but I guess it's not compatible with my game? seadogs2_0000.jpg I have the same version as yours so idk.

@Pieter Boelen or anyone else knows which file(s) is concerned for this? Maybe overwriting the one(s) that MrMister has/have might just solve it? :shrug

From @MrMister's compile.log:
Code:
Build 14 (13th January 2021)
Savegame Compatibility: 14.943
That last number is the one that should control if a savegame is compatible or not.
It can be changed at the bottom of PROGRAM\globals.c:
Code:
#define BUILDVERSION           "14: 8th October 2020"               // this is not used in reinit.c anymore, so we can use a string now
#define IS_SGV                   14.943                               // must be a float - use small numbers to keep them sequential for all these updates --> 12.10 is smaller than 12.9!
(And you can see already right there that I myself am not up-to-date with the latest game version either...)

I tried your save but I guess it's not compatible with my game?
That looks really weird.
There isn't even a thumbnail showing with the savegame at all!
And if it were incompatible as per the IS_SGV variable, it should clearly say so. :confused:

I apologize for not attaching my .log files but yes, that is one of the things I checked before downloading his save. It really is weird.

Attachments

• compile.log
    2.4 KB · Views: 191
  • globals.c
    13.6 KB · Views: 197
It really is weird.
I figured it out. Put that file in the "standard" SAVE directory, copy it and rename the copy to "-=Player=- Barbados. Speightstown tavern. April 26th, 1750".
With that done, I could load it without problem; even on my older mod version.

And indeed, I could confirm that this guy DOES revert to "sailor" if you assign him first to "Gunner", then "Remove From Post".

Well, that is sure an interesting thing.
I tried replicating this myself from scratch, but hiring a Quartermaster on Eleuthera and then removing him from post DID switch him to "Master at Arms" rather than "Sailor".
And the same applies to all the other auto-generated navy officers in my party.
See attached. o_O

Attachments

• FreePlay.zip
    2 MB · Views: 192
I figured it out. Put that file in the "standard" SAVE directory, copy it and rename the copy to "-=Player=- Barbados. Speightstown tavern. April 26th, 1750".
With that done, I could load it without problem; even on my older mod version.

And indeed, I could confirm that this guy DOES revert to "sailor" if you assign him first to "Gunner", then "Remove From Post".
Yhup. I renamed the file and the game was able to load it and the "bug" seems to be present in this particular save. It is very odd since any of my own does not do this even on a new game.
Anyway, attached are my .log files from when I tried the "bugged" save. (No error.log)

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.4 KB · Views: 184
  • system.log
    735 bytes · Views: 195
I've done a bit of investigating myself. I didn't use the savegame; instead, I tried starting a new game of "Tales of a Sea Hawk", recruited a carpenter from the tavern keeper because it was a carpenter that @MrMister reported using, then removed him from post, and sure enough, he turned into a sailor.

Then I did the same thing with "Assassin" - started a new game, recruited a carpenter, removed him from post, and as you'd normally expect, he turned into master at arms. The same happened when I tried it with "Bartolomeu".

So for some reason, "Tales of a Sea Hawk" alone changes an officer into a sailor when you click "Remove from post". Any other storyline turns him into a master at arms.

Note that, due to this bug...
Confirmed Bug - Masters at Arms: Alarmingly Frequent Officer Type
...masters at arms are the easiest type of officer to find. So if you can't convert an officer into a master at arms because you're playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", just get a new one!

Hmnn..indeed the standard storyline is somewhat "bugged" regarding the "Master at Arms" officer case.
I started a new game in the Standard Storyline and yes, removing an officer from his/her post does put him/her as a regular 'sailor'. seadogs2_0019.jpg I did however get an error.log this time.
...masters at arms are the easiest type of officer to find. So if you can't convert an officer into a master at arms because you're playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", just get a new one!
Agreed. Lol.

Attachments

• compile.log
    14.1 KB · Views: 187
  • error.log
    151 bytes · Views: 203
  • system.log
    3.1 KB · Views: 194
Back