• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

MAYA

superdurnius

Corsair
Coordinator
3D Artist
Storm Modeller
Does anybody know how to bound geometry to skeleton?

I have taken maya scene file from animation help files. There is complete skeleton file and animations ready. I have replaced default geometry with my one, no I see skeleton and I see my geometry, but I don't know how to bound those to each other, so I could start bone-wight editing...

[attachment=3998:Help1.jpg]

i was about to say that you have to vertex paint the geometry, but i assume is the same thing than boneweight... i'll try to find a way, when i come back from work, meanwhile, good luck on that mate... i'd rather build a house... xD:

Easy to say, good luck :D ... I'm "good lucking" for about 5 houers today... I can't look at maya now :D

i was about to say that you have to vertex paint the geometry, but i assume is the same thing than boneweight... i'll try to find a way, when i come back from work, meanwhile, good luck on that mate... i'd rather build a house... xD:
Have you looked at that? I did some blind guesses, but my English knowledge doesn't help me much...

Dont worry about your english, you'll learn in the way...
About the vertex paint, try THIS

Yes, thanks, that's usefull information you posted, but I need the tools which attaches model to bones... Until the I don't have use of vertexes (bonewights)

To say the truth, i couldn't see the video, i dont have, nor want to have quicktime.
All i can tell you is that, at least in blender, you paint the vertex group you need to go with a bone, and then parent the vertex group to it (vertex child of the bone), it's also called weight painting, where 1 is the most influenced value and 0 non influenced...
Hope that helps... if not i'll check maya today and let you know if i find something

Creating a model of character

What is needed:
1) model
2) texture (in the format tga)
3) Maya 5.0
4) plug-in SD2GeoExport
5) plug-in SD2AniExport
6) TXConverter
7) skeleton

Requirements:
The model must contain no more than 2 000 vertices

1) Load the model in MAYA
2) go in the panels-> panel-> hypershade
3) Click on the left side of File (shown next to the green triangle)
4) In WordArea there is a new texture in the attribute editor zhzhem on the button with the image folder and select the texture
5) Click the right mouse button on the texture and choose assign to material
6) You receive a new material
7) Next we go Windows-> HyperGraph and choose our object
8) Now in hypershade Right click on the new material and select assign to selection - in the bottom right corner of the text will appear res: SD1
9) Now create a locator - Create-> Locator and put it in the base model - This locator indicates the level of land for the model, assign it a name main
10) Next, create a locator called camera - it is located near the eyes - gives the position of the camera during a "first person"
11) Create another locator named saber_belt - indicates a place sword belt anchorages
12) Another locator named gun_belt - similar, but for the pistol
13) Another locator named gun_hand - indicates the hand, which will take the gun (located in the palm)
14) And lastly another locator - saber_hand - similar to the sword
15) Now select gun_hand and then with the click shift select our geometry, and press P
16) Now select saber_hand and then with the click shift select our geometry, and press P
17) Now select gun_belt and then with the click shift select our geometry, and press P
18) Now select saber_belt and then with the click shift select our geometry, and press P
19) Now select our geometry, press the shift key and select the locator Main and again press P
20) As a result, we have a hierarchy:
21) Main
---> Geo1
------> saber_hand
------> gun_hand
------> saber_belt
------> gun_belt
22) now allocates all locators (using shift) and go to File-> Export All press Option, choose the type of export SD2GeoExport, put checkmarks BuildBSP and Product, and to zhzhem Export
23) Get the GM file
24) Now with the help of the program TXConverter convert textures in tx format.

Skeleton:

1) Load a skeleton in MAYA
2) Animiruem skeleton
3) Now select all the bones, press the shift key and select the locator Main and again press P
4) As a result, we have a hierarchy:
5) Main
---> bone a
---> bone b
---> bone c
6) Now allocates main locator and go to File-> Export All press Option, choose the type of export SD2AniExport, and click on Export
7) Get. An file

Well, sort of modeling and all, I do not claim 100% accuracy, because I myself am doing modeling as a hobby, so if you find a mistake contact me.

By Capitan Blood, SWG, 2006

Found this on a russian PotC modding site.
There are more of these tutorials on Maya conversion here: http://pirat-seawolf.com/board/index.php?showtopic=287

Can someone try this out? Capitan_hair_A2 model... I'm unable to do it right now...

Edit: forgot the file

Yes, I'd like to know how to merge 2-3 meshes with materials and UV maps into one mesh while keeping resources and on new model

Don't know if these would help:

http://comments.deviantart.com/18/1216208/916846093

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zaClv12WmM&feature=related
Part Two of this one goes into a better way of doing it.

http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/UserGuide/ModelingPoly/PolyMerge.fm.html
(Near bottom of page)

@SD: i've opened the model with TOOL, exported it to vrml, opened that in blender... exported to .OBJ and opened the result in maya... in the end, there is a single mesh..., but could'nt weight paint it... the tool to do that is in the Animation tab... but don't understand how it works... i suppose i need the armature, aka "bones"...

yes, I posted a sort of manual on how to convert characters from maya some days ago in another thread from SJG. The Russian who made it, says in it, that you first need to import the .ani file, before you can 'paint weigh?' to it.

Tought so... you need something to which the vertexes refer to when painted...

There is bones I'm using from animations help file... I already know, how to paint vertex maps (bone-wights)... But I don't know how to bound geometry to bones so I could edit vertexes....

Back