• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

McAfee Stinger detects AOP2 start.exe as trojan.

bumpkin

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Hello,

I purchased AOP2:CoAS in early 2010. Recently I updated it with the Combined CoAS version 3 mod.

Yesterday I ran the new version of McAffee Stinger on my PC. It identified start.exe of Age Of Pirates 2 as the Artemis!C09F547AAB2 trojan and deleted the file.

Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks Greg.

I dont use that antivirus, but im guessing its only moved to the chest. Try reverting it and adding it as an exception.

You should allso try to contact their support staff and get them working on a fix for this.

It's most likely just a false posivtive bumpkin, possibly caused by the copy protection scheme CoAS uses, that's my best guess anyway. I scan everything with Kaspersky and Avast and haven't had a problem mate. :shrug

Yep i second what Thagarr said, i use Avast and i have never had any problems. Perhaps there is a no cd pach out there which will allow you to play the game without the use of the disc, or the other way is to deactivate your AV before launching the game or you could use another AV, i'll let you decide.

thanks everyone. I will contact McAffee about the file. I use Trend Micro as my AV application. It did not find a problem. My pc had been acting a little strange so I downloaded the latest version of Stinger (free stand alone virus scanner). The issue occured when I ran stinger from an administrative account.

I have to original disk so I can do a re-install and re patch with the latest version of combined mod 3.

Thanks again.
Greg.

Back