• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

melee fighting

kaizerkat

Freebooter
ever since i started playing this latest version B14 2.2, i find it very dificult to win a sword fight when attacked. I am at level 19 w/235 health, in the past versions this would be enough to take on three guys at once, now i sometimes get killed with one swipe of a sword. This is the first time at this level that my melee skill is at 2 and that i had this much difficulty with melee fighting. I did notice the enemy carries the best swords, but still, i should have a better chance to survive at my present level and not go down in one hit.Did you make them stronger in this newest version? Real quick, are there better pistols than large double pistols?

Yes enemies get stronger to kill, if you really want a good gun go to Nevis dock at Pirate settlement, and go looking through the jungle until you come across a sttage where it says House in the woods, or Jungle, anyways theres a man there after shortly talking to him he attacks you- kill him and search his body and you find a great gun- the Pump Shotgun- it does great damage and can fire 3 shots before realoading, it requires Gunman ability, which you have. If you want to practice try going around into houses and offer to bodyguard them for the night, if your lucky 3 or 2 theives will come and attack you, its good practice.

Yes combat is much more difficult than it used to be. At level 19 you should have the golden cuirass, which makes a very big difference. The sword you use makes a big difference also. At the Dutch colony one can harvest the sword the guards use. I give that to my officers and give the sword I harvest from the Portagee guards to my crew. If you complete the Angelique Moulin quest you get the sword of Francis Drake, which is much better. If you do the Bartolomeu O Portoguese side quest you can use his sword which is even better.

The biggest problem is that the melee skill does not improve except in the very earliest levels. You will still see a small increase in melee from here until level 30 or so, but your only hope now is to go around chatting with towns people and hope you run into a teacher.
Try to balance your increases from the teacher between melee and defense. It seems officers with good defense skills last longer than ones with good melee skills.

Use everything you have got. Grenades, poisoned throwing knives, ether bottle, cobblestones, whatever helps you stay alive.

Hey Hylie whats the Angelique Moulin Quest? I just finnished the quest from Bonaire and I'm intrested in the sword of Francis Drake, where do I go to find that quest? Though I already did the Bartlomeu quest, I like a nice collection of rare swords ;)

Thanks guys for the info. Thought it was something like that but had to be sure. If i remember right barto o porto quest starts in puerto rico? Really, the top gun is the shotgun? I was thinking with the new version there were new pistols as well, like the swords.

To me the pump shot gun is top dog. I havent noticed anything else that could compete with the pump shot gun :guns:

None. Just the same good stuff, dual barrels, quad barrels, braces of pistols, grenades, stinkpots, poison throwing knives, muskets, musketoons, etc.

Back