• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Minor dialog errors

BathtubPirate

Privateer
Storm Modder
I noticed some minor things in dialog that may be improved. Not sure about the exact version name of the Build, it is Build 14 as installed four days ago.

1) Soldiers in Greenford/Barbados still talk about the weather in "their Portugal". That's a mistake which has been around since 2003. When I first played PotC as a kid I couldn't figure out how to sail from island to island, I've been stuck in Greenford for several weeks and thought it was a portuguese colony. :rofl

2) There are two dockers at Redmond/Jamaica - Black_Corsair and Man5. They have the ordinary citizen dialog assigned to them, which means they introduce themselves as "docker" as if it were their name. There should be a dialog file "docker_generated" in the folder which contains all the informations of the citizen one - directions, rumours etc. OR like I did it in my stockgame: I just let them say something like "Excuse me, but I'm really busy right now. If you have a question, why don't you talk to the harbormaster?" --- "Thank you, didn't mean to bother you". After all a docker should be working. :yes

3) Man2 is described as looking like "Thomas O'Reily from Redmond" when you choose a model for Free 2 Play. Neither does he look like Thomas nor is the islands name Redmond in New Horizons.

If the staff wishes I can think of some respective alternatives and upload them here later this week. What do you think?

I noticed some minor things in dialog that may be improved. Not sure about the exact version name of the Build, it is Build 14 as installed four days ago.

1) Soldiers in Greenford/Barbados still talk about the weather in "their Portugal". That's a mistake which has been around since 2003. When I first played PotC as a kid I couldn't figure out how to sail from island to island, I've been stuck in Greenford for several weeks and thought it was a portuguese colony. :rofl
I'll need to check that one when I next play the game, but looking at the dialog files, they should be talking about England, not Portugal.

2) There are two dockers at Redmond/Jamaica - Black_Corsair and Man5. They have the ordinary citizen dialog assigned to them, which means they introduce themselves as "docker" as if it were their name. There should be a dialog file "docker_generated" in the folder which contains all the informations of the citizen one - directions, rumours etc. OR like I did it in my stockgame: I just let them say something like "Excuse me, but I'm really busy right now. If you have a question, why don't you talk to the harbormaster?" --- "Thank you, didn't mean to bother you". After all a docker should be working. :yes
Or just edit "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Redmond.c", find their entries, and give them proper names. ;)

3) Man2 is described as looking like "Thomas O'Reily from Redmond" when you choose a model for Free 2 Play. Neither does he look like Thomas nor is the islands name Redmond in New Horizons.

If the staff wishes I can think of some respective alternatives and upload them here later this week. What do you think?
Certainly feel free to fix the dockers' dialogs, as well as change the description for "Man2" to something more suitable. There's not much of this week left, but if you upload your corrections - and if they check out - then they go into the update and you get your name in the documentation.

I'll need to check that one when I next play the game, but looking at the dialog files, they should be talking about England, not Portugal.
I looked at mine, and there they definitely talk about Portugal. Strange.

Or just edit "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Redmond.c", find their entries, and give them proper names. ;)
I think it would be cool to let them be dockers, but if they shall have dialog about rumours, directions etc. then I look into the docker_generated dialog soon.

Certainly feel free to fix the dockers' dialogs, as well as change the description for "Man2" to something more suitable. There's not much of this week left, but if you upload your corrections - and if they check out - then they go into the update and you get your name in the documentation.
How about that? :rofl

Attachments

• initModels.zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 250
"White long-sleeved shirt, closed vest... Just the right thing to blend in well with the village idiots." Yes, definitely more accurate than the original - thanks! :onya

Update: should have paid more attention. Greenford / Bridgetown, not Oxbay / Speightstown. The soldiers there use "Greenford Soldier_dialog.h", not "Oxbay Soldier_Dialog.h". And "Greenford Soldier_dialog.h" does indeed mention Portugal.

Put this into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH", then go and talk to a Bridgetown soldier repeatedly until he tells you where wants to go home.

As for "Man2":
idiot.jpg

Attachments

• Greenford Soldier_dialog.h
    5.2 KB · Views: 219
I haven't looked into the dockers yet, but I have seen that Robyn Corrick, the Redmond usurer is still sitting in thin air. The loansharks office is a store model, with the locator right behind the counter, and since Robyn has assigned SetSitType to him, he just sits there - on nothing. I'd assign him to SetMerchantType or SetStayType, which would be the standard solution. Otherwise we could create a new locator on the chair about a metre behind Robyn, with Jack Rackhams tutorial I could maybe even do that myself. But then he would propably sit remarkably far behind the counter plus SetSitType always looks strange if the character isn't sitting on a table.

Put this in "PROGRAM\Characters\init". As well as correcting Robyn Corrick, it also corrects Robyn Corrick. xD

One Robyn Corrick is the loanshark in Port Royale and this version changes him to 'LAi_SetStayType'. Perhaps he's being polite and has stood up from his chair to greet a customer.

The other Robyn Corrick is the loanshark in Alice Town, Eleuthera, who is an exact clone of the Port Royale one. He's sitting on nothing as well, and it's even more obvious because the layout of the room allows you to go round the side so you can see him sitting on nothing. I've set him to 'LAi_SetBarmanType' - he's not quite as polite as his brother as he sometimes turns round to look at something in his cupboard. He's now renamed Victor Corrick.

They're both idiots - both "Man2". I'll either find or make a different model for one of them so he can be the brains of the family. :D

Attachments

• Usurers.c
    45.5 KB · Views: 204
Perhaps he's being polite and has stood up from his chair to greet a customer.
he's not quite as polite as his brother as he sometimes turns round to look at something in his cupboard.
:rofl:rofl:rofl
SetBarmanType is a great idea to add a bit of variety. Perhaps I'll follow this one and throw some SetSitType into the mix, so a couple of the loansharks operating in normal houses can set up their office at a table instead of just standing in the living room, waiting for customers. What do you think?

They're both idiots - both "Man2". I'll either find or make a different model for one of them so he can be the brains of the family. :D
Hopefully not Bore-Man (Man1) or Giant Ape (Man4) - but I'm sure you'll have better options. They also could be father and son perhaps.

Hopefully not Bore-Man (Man1) or Giant Ape (Man4)
:rofl

Put this in "PROGRAM\Characters\init". As well as correcting Robyn Corrick, it also corrects Robyn Corrick. xD

One Robyn Corrick is the loanshark in Port Royale and this version changes him to 'LAi_SetStayType'. Perhaps he's being polite and has stood up from his chair to greet a customer.

The other Robyn Corrick is the loanshark in Alice Town, Eleuthera, who is an exact clone of the Port Royale one.
I may know what happened there.
The person who added and filled up Eleuthera was a very beginning modder, so he may have copy-pasted a bit too much.
Still, I'm glad he did it because that island was far too empty before he got to it! :wp

SetBarmanType is a great idea to add a bit of variety. Perhaps I'll follow this one and throw some SetSitType into the mix, so a couple of the loansharks operating in normal houses can set up their office at a table instead of just standing in the living room, waiting for customers. What do you think?
'LAi_SetBarmanType' wasn't my idea; several loansharks are already set to use that, so I changed the Alice Town one to do the same and then went there to check that it worked as well as find out what happened.

If you want to arrange a desk and chair for the loanshark to use, go ahead. You could also try 'LAi_SetHuberType' which is the animation used by governors and which might look more business-like. 'LAi_SetSitType' is more for use by people sitting in taverns.

Otherwise, while it's literally true that he's standing there waiting for a customer, you don't see that in the game. The door has opened and a customer has just walked in (you). By the time you've entered, he's standing up and waiting to take your money. You don't see what he does when you're outside and the door is closed; for all you know, he could be sitting, standing, or jumping up and down. :bounce

I may know what happened there.
The person who added and filled up Eleuthera was a very beginning modder, so he may have copy-pasted a bit too much.
Still, I'm glad he did it because that island was far too empty before he got to it! :wp
It didn't do any harm. Nobody noticed that they were the same before now, and the only reason I noticed is that I was going through "Usurers.c" looking to see which animation type the other loansharks were using, got as far as the one for Alice Town, and recognised the name because @BathtubPirate had drawn my attention to it in the context of the one in Port Royale.

Otherwise, while it's literally true that he's standing there waiting for a customer, you don't see that in the game. The door has opened and a customer has just walked in (you). By the time you've entered, he's standing up and waiting to take your money. You don't see what he does when you're outside and the door is closed; for all you know, he could be sitting, standing, or jumping up and down. :bounce
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Further dialogue errors I've just noticed: barmen referring to 'so and so is to be found on the second floor' when they mean the first floor. I realise Americans use first and second to mean ground and first, but the game uses the British spellings of 'Defence' and is set before the US existed so I will admit to being confused and looking for another flight of stairs!

Sylvie Matton: when Arnaud Matton asks the player to take Miss Matton to her godmother, he gives some complex directions to her house on Puerto Rico which are not recorded in the Quest Book! I spent quite some time running about the town banging on all the doors!

Kralendijk: Having rescued Toff's daughter, every time I land at Kralendijk I'm given the option to travel to the pirate's ship to 'rescue the girl', despite the quest being completed in the Quest Book. If I accidentally choose the 'go to the ship' option, there is no-one to talk to and I cannot move my character or access the menus. I have to force close the game.

The difference between American English and English English is not really an error. As far as I'm concerned, it's only an error if the spelling style changes within one character's dialog. (I'm British and was never confused by being told to look for the agent on the second floor. :p)

If you can write better directions to Sylvie Bondies' house, I'll amend Arnaud Matton's dialog text accordingly.

I can't figure out how you could have completed the Toff Oremans quest and still have the trigger in place for talking to yourself about going to the ship. It should be easily enough fixed, though. Copy this into your "PROGRAM" folder, run the game and press F12. You should see a message "Executed Console". If not, I've got something wrong and there should be an "error.log" file, so upload that. If you do see the message, "console.c" has been run and should have closed down the quest, so you should then be able to enter Kralendijk.

Attachments

• console.c
    35.4 KB · Views: 192
Call me too engrossed then! I found it jarring, and was just reporting on that.

It's not the directions that are the problem, merely that they are not duplicated in the Quest Book, which just says to take her to her godmother on Puerto Rico.

This is a fresh installation of the latest Build, so I don't know what's happened either if it isn't a general problem. I can get into Kralendijk fine, by deciding not to go to the pirate's ship, but it's easy enough to hit the wrong button and be forced into closing the game. Thank you for the console command. I'll give it a whirl when I next boot up.

Call me too engrossed then! I found it jarring, and was just reporting on that.

It's not the directions that are the problem, merely that they are not duplicated in the Quest Book, which just says to take her to her godmother on Puerto Rico.
You would be very welcome to suggest changes to the text.
If you make the changes, I'm sure @Grey Roger will include them in the next update. :yes

Yes, the same applies - write some decent directions to the house of Sylvie Bondies and they'll go into both the dialog text and the questbook. Arnaud's current directions should not go into the questbook because they are wrong!

Further dialogue errors I've just noticed: barmen referring to 'so and so is to be found on the second floor' when they mean the first floor.
I've only found one of those, where the tavern keeper in Speightstown tells you that Tobias is on the second floor. There's a simple fix which works for both British and American readers:
Code:
Be quiet! He's sitting upstairs. He'll be dressed in a French uniform, but that's part of his plan.

Incidentally, if you want to change dialog text, it's very easy. The files will be either in:
  • "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH" (characters who are always there regardless of storyline, e.g. tavern keeper Everard Gordon)
  • "PROGRAM\Storyline\<insert storyline name>\DIALOGS\ENGLISH" (characters specific to storylines; also sometimes storyline specific versions of dialog for general characters)
If you're talking to yourself then the file is "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\blaze_dialog.h". Otherwise look for a file whose name matches the character you're talking to. "dialog.h" files are plain text so you can edit them with whatever text editor you like.

So, for example, if you don't like something that Danielle Greene says, look in "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\danielle_dialog.h", find the part you don't like, change it to something you do like, and replay that scene. It's the simplest form of modding possible, and it is how I got started.

Thank you both. I will happily admit that I was proffering suggestions with no knowledge of how those changes could be effected.

I see that it is quite straightforward without any great programming knowledge. If I make significant changes, should I just upload the files here for subsequent incorporation into the next 'Build'?

Back