• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod graphics issues, female sailors, wind.

helldiver

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Hey folks!

Most of this is mod 3.2 related I believe.

I used to play PoTC with the build mod, but that was years ago. Recently bought my brother's laptop and on it was AoS2: CoAS. Anyhow so I played it a bit (I think it was patched but it did not have the combined mod 3.2 on it) and decided to look around for mods. Came across the combined mod (3.2 plus fixes), installed it and so on. Game runs fine, except there's a few things that bug me.

The Wind
I play on Tactical (slow battles). When the wind is at or above 5, the game is fun. However, on occasion the wind will die to 0.1... At that moment the game just dies and it can take hours on x6 to maybe get the wind going again. I had an encounter with a spanish ship that took at least 2 days on x6 until we finally got close to each other to have cannons to bare. It took another hour or so until I managed to get close enough to board (took about 15-20 minutes real time on x6).

I would like to set the wind to a minimum of 5 always. I don't care if it cuts into realism. There's already enough un-realistic content to suspend disbelief anyways.

Setting the game to Dynamic is too fast and the ships move like speed boats. I like the turning and cannon speeds of Tactical, but the forward speed of Dynamic. I would really appreciate it if someone can point me to where I can modify the code. There was a Wind/Weather mod but it seems the link is broken.

Female sailors
I would like to remove the female sailors. On at least two boarding actions I encountered these female sailors. They weren't there on vanila CoAS and I'm certain they were added by the mod. Currently I removed them (I think) by replacing Angellica.gm with one of the captains (one of the ones that looks like a pirate). However I would like a better solution. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone can point me the right direction in removing them.

I don't mind Female captains. I'm ok with them, as they are for the most part rare and you almost have to put them in yourself through gameplay. What I do mind is encountering female sailors aboard a national ship which I have to fight. I'd like to remove them all. I don't mind if it kills variety.

Faceted models
Some of the models added by the mod are faceted. I believe the smoothing was either not done correctly or got corrupted in the export process. For example notice the HMS Interceptor I linked below. Towards the rear you'll notice how its faceted. The sails, masts, and yards are all nice and smooth, yet the hull has smoothing errors. The default ships in the game do not have those errors, they are smooth. Some of the other ships added by the mod are also nice and smooth.

intercept.jpg

So it seems that some ships added by the mod have some smoothing errors while others don't. The same goes for the uniforms. I'm using Norington and he has smoothing errors while the default captains in the game do not.

Anyhow, you guys have done a fantastic job with the mod. Most of these things I'm sure are minor (with the exception of the wind which is right now a game stopper to me). I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could show me how to set the minimum wind to higher (in Tactical battles) as well as correctly remove the female sailors.

Regarding the ships and character models with smoothing errors I believe those could only be corrected by their authors. Unless I have some strange bug. But after testing several ships and character models, it seems that some have smoothing errors and others don't. The default ones that came with the game do not, while some of the ones added by the mod do.

Additional pics:

Norrington on left (added by mod), Marcelle on right. Marcelle is nice and smooth yet Norrington has smoothing errors on the pants and tricorne.
intercept2.jpg

Ship on left has smoothing errors near bow. Ship on right smooth hull. The masts and yards have hard edges but I'm not sure if they are supposed to be that way?
intercept3.jpg

Hey b ud welcome to the forum and thanks for trying CMV3.2 out. :onya

We have already looked into the wind speeds and fixed them for the next mod, we haven't removed the wind speed mod from CMV3.2 but we have made it as a option for those who like to play with realistic wind speeds. While those who don't can simply set the game to play with stock wind speeds. The ships you point out are old and was ported over from POTC build mods as was the character's. Our team is small and only a few know how to make textures while only the 1 of us can make ships and he's not responible for any of those ships you've pointed out.

Hey b ud welcome to the forum and thanks for trying CMV3.2 out. :onya

We have already looked into the wind speeds and fixed them for the next mod, we haven't removed the wind speed mod from CMV3.2 but we have made it as a option for those who like to play with realistic wind speeds. While those who don't can simply set the game to play with stock wind speeds. The ships you point out are old and was ported over from POTC build mods as was the character's. Our team is small and only a few know how to make textures while only the 1 of us can make ships and he's not responible for any of those ships you've pointed out.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I'm now assured that it isn't just me with the errors. I look forward to the next version of the mod.

I would offer to help, but unfortunately I do not own Maya and it seems that the exporting tools are maya only. Otherwise I'd import them (into Max 8 ), fix the smoothing groups and re-export. On some of the ships (as you notice on the Interceptor) I went in and removed the names from the transom. I was also going to make the two alternate textures (for Hulls 2 and 3) but once I saw the geometry smoothing errors I stopped.

The female sailor is only seen aboard Pirate ships, I don't remember the file you need to edit, but its a very easy fix.

The female sailor is only seen aboard Pirate ships, I don't remember the file you need to edit, but its a very easy fix.

Is there any way to get that female pirate as an officer, or play as her? She is different from all the others (Also, I think there's 2 different female pirates like that)

Wait, so there's no quick way to change the wind in one of the files or replace the female sailors with a male model by doing a file swap?

The ships or the female sailors I don't really care. But the wind issue is really keeping me from playing, any quick Script fix?

If you upload the weather folder out of programs i will fix it for you. :onya

I went in an edited the files in the Init folder: DayStorm.C, Day.C, Evening.C, Morning.C, and so on.

I changed the line
Weathers[n].Wind.Speed.Min = 0.0;

to..

Weathers[n].Wind.Speed.Min = 6.0;

I did that for all files in the folder. Game went from unplayable, to very fun. Ships turn slow and combat still takes a while, but there's no more sudden stop whereby neither the enemy nor myself can move or anything. It was really bad when I had an engagement in a harbor while the wind direction was blowing into the harbor. So I was stuck in the harbor at 0 wind, 0 speed. With the fix I can at least crawl forward at about 1 or 2 knots.

I think I'm gonna snoop further into the files, or perhaps you guys might know how to increase wind effect on sails? I'd like to increase it by at least 1 knot. That would be about the only other fix I'd do. It would keep the game moving forward instead of coming to a near standstill.

I've been finding mod ships without alternate textures (the enterprise, the interceptor, etc). Basically all three ships are the same. Let me know if you guys need help making the missing alternate textures to give more variety.

I can't download the TX Converter or the GM Viewer since the site was updated :( the links are broken. I had downloaded them before but I deleted since then. Anyway one of you guys can upload them somewhere?

Back