• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

mod idea:random contraband search, for you smugglers

so whaddya think of this idea?

• this idea is destined to become a mod in NK's next build

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • this idea is a waste of cyberspace

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

boocha

Landlubber
Storm Modder
------------------------lengthy thread warning------------------------------

the idea is to randomly generate a guard approaching you when you come to port, you would get approached depending on your luck and maybe reputation er stuff like that, then they would ask to search yer ship for contraband

you could then decide to allow the search or leave the port, or maybe instead of letting you go, they would try to board and confescate your goods and ship(again maybe that would depend on some o yer skills and abilities...)

if you had contraband and they found it, you would again be boarded by the marines of that islands government

i thnk this idea has some potential, i had some other thoughts about it too, but can't thnik of them at the moment, so what do you guys think?

to tell the truth, i probably shoulda researched a bit to see if that was even the case back then, i just remember being searched by the fuzz(police) alot when i was younger, and thought it would add an element to the game, for smugglers anyway

better still, if there were a fleet patrolling the harbour of each of the colonies, you might be approached by a ship, and have the option of a) letting them search your ship - in which case if there was no contraband they would go on peacefully, and if there was contraband they would start to fight your crew, as a boarding action, and their skills should be very high (and then you'd have to deal with the rest of the fleet) - or refusing to let them search the ship, in which case the fleet would attack your ship. maybe this would only happen if you had already been caught smuggling on that island, and were on a 'suspicious' list. whaddya think?

The two ideas are historically possible. I've heard about ship having some hidden cargo space to put contraband in... but in fact almost everybody know where it was, a ship is a ship after all!

So, I think that the two ideas are great. For sure port contrl for contraband, and there was patrol all around England to check for them.

I don't like it. no offense or anything but i just don't think i would have fun with it. I say this because then i would have to fight a patrol and a bunch of ships when i have contrabanded items and then i would have to fight more ships and a patrol when i sell my contrabaned items. i would just rather fight the 1 patrol and ships and have that be it.

Well I'm sure that smugglers would rather they didn't have to fight anything. In the game though, a successful smuggling operation makes a lot of money. There should be a bigger risk though. Only the truly careful and truly observant smuggler should make any money.

but it would only come into effect if you were already under suspicion on that island for smuggling.

very interesting, so maybe a good captain would not stroll into port with a load of contraband knowing his/her chances for being searched were high, maybe a good captain would park their boat at a secluded beach instead to avoid the patrols, so you have to walk a little more and oh you might get jumped by a band of brigands but then again, smugglin isnt really about being safe now is it?

do like the idea of being on a "list" so yer chances for being searched were greater if you were caught more times, makes too much sense you know

and the ships approaching you before you dock is good, but i think would be more difficult, and what if the player were to use the sail to command to warp to the dock, wouldnt that put them close enough to just press the "f3" key to avoid the patrols? -think that would have to be addressed as well (suppose you could just take the option out if a patrol was on its way to search you, so i think its a great idea)

well that (removing the f3 key) wouldn't need much implementing, it already happens (e.g. in the main quest battle just before you enter khael roa). and it would be fairly easy to remove the 'moor' option if the armada became hostile to you.

i'm not sure exactly how the whole thing could be worked out. maybe you would just get a dialog box saying 'the portuguese flagship has signalled for you to lower your sails and prepare to be boarded,' etc etc. or maybe you would actually have to wait for the ship(s) to reach you, if that's possible (hey, you've always got that G key ^_^ )

true that

yeah i agree, the ships coming out to meet you is rad, much better than being appraoched on the docks(although that would suffice until the ships could be implemented) by some flatfoot(police) and i like the coastal patrols ordering you to drop sail thats cool, because then you could try n run or whatever, or maybe the initial part generating the search patrol would depend (like you said) on the players past record of smuggling and the actual patrol searching your cargo hold would depend on your luck skill, so you might let them search yer holds knowing you have a good chance they wont find anything, but of course NK could wright some crazy algorythm to make it so the search is more likely to turn up some contraband if you got a larger contraband to cargospace ratio -wow, so whaddya think o that?

oh, its like a quick action key, u know that icon at the top left of your screen when yer on land? or wehenever actually, anyway, the f3 key will automatically perform that action when the icon says its available at the top left o yer screen -cool?

Well it wouldn't necessarily have to be a ship, especially not a large one. Most likely it would just be a cutter or another small craft. The defense of this customs vessel lies mostly with the fort's guns. Perhaps we can get that "boat" model to work properly.

Perhaps smuggling and getting caught can result in your reputation getting lowered, and then reputation would determine severity of the customs agent's inspections.

sorry i didn't mean disabling the f3 key, i meant disabling the option to leave the battle ^_^

One would also have to take into account the skill which allows one to sell contraband goods in the store. I'd rather it was disabled as it seems a bit of a daft skill to have...

<!--`QuoteBegin-6shoota`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6shoota)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One would also have to take into account the skill which allows one to sell contraband goods in the store. I'd rather it was disabled as it seems a bit of a daft skill to have...[/quote]

Yeah your right it does seem stupid.

Great idea, as usual! 8):
Though the others like ships in harbor will take a while to do, the officer approaching if you land at port is eminently doable.
And the thing is you'd have to land not at the port, to avoid it.

Which reminds me; the shipyard shouldn't work if you don't moor at port...

But the trick will be getting the search to happen only _once_ per visit to the port.
Maybe set an attribute when the guard talks to you, and clear it on leave?

Back