• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Issues

Captain Hog

Sailor Apprentice
Hey, I'm new to these forums so not 100% sure where to post this so for now I've put it here.

I got COAS not long ago and we installed a Combined Ships Mod on it using a mods plugin manager to "Enable" it.

I then got the CM final version 3 (+ patch) and enabled that using the same process (AFTER disabling the Combined Ships Mod). However when I got in-game I found that almost all the new ships and even some of the older ones had issues with their crew.

For example, the Interceptor. It appears her crew believe the ship to be several meters ahead of where she really is, so they walk off the bow of the ship and standing floating in mid air, before walking back onto the ship. Then they climb invisable rigging and run up the quarter deck stairs half way along the ship and no where near the quarter deck itself.

Some other ships have the crew walking INSIDE the stern as if the steps were not a solid and you could see their heads sticking out the top, others were walking right off the stern of the ship and standing mid-air. This was all very frustrating so I've disabled it and I am now back using Combined Ships Mod.

Is there some sort of conflict between the two mods that the enabler has not sorted?

If so, should I do a fresn re-install and install/enable the CM final v3?

Thanks!

Hog

I never used a mod enabler, because I'm not at all sure what it might do.

For large mods, such as the Combined Modpack, my recommendation is to install the game unmodded,
then save this folder on an external HD as a backup (saves you the trouble of ever install again).
Afterwards, install all required files for the latest Combined Modpack release.

For smaller mods, I'll use WinMerge and manually check all modifications that are being added.
I wouldn't recommend that for you though, because it's a lot of somewhat complex work. :shrug

Thanks for the fast reply! :D

When we got the Combined Ships Mod I believe it was recommended we use GME - Generic Mod Enabler.

Okay I will try it without that and hope things work out better.

Some of ship walk files aren't perfect, you'll occasionally find a ship which has its crew walking in places it shouldn't.

hmmn, just that almost half the ships I saw had crew walking off the ship and standing in mid-air above the water or climbing up rigging far from where the rigging actually was.

Some CoAS Modder should go through the ship and for each one that doesn't have a proper walk file,
just set those ships to show no crew at all. Personally I'd say that'd be better than bugged crew.

I have this issue on a fresh install of CMv3, so it is NOT a JSGME issue. That program works excellent as long as you follow simple rules

-when enabling/disabling mods, please make sure that all affected files are closed before doing so, just like you would with any other copy or move operation

- never modify/move/change/edit a mod that is enabled, always disable it first. If you need to disable multiple mods to do so, do it.

Its a great program from the Silent Hunter community which is also very active modding those games Latest JSGME thread in SUBSIM forums

Pieter:

All the JSGME does is put files in/take files out of the main install directory using a modfolder.

modfolders would use the same folder/directory structure as the main directory, so for example, to install CMV3 you just drop all the files in the main dir. from the zip, to install using JSGME, you just put the CMv3 folder in the MODS folder JSGME makes, and enable that, and that is the same thing as dropping the files into the vanilla dir. damn i cant explan this without sounding convoluted... sorry haha i think you get it.

the benefits, especially to a tester/modder, are huge! you can change one file 10 different ways, set up 10 mods, and test them individually much faster than navigating explorer. Or boot back to a previous beta to continue a game while testing other betas that might not work with your save.

A much better explanation of JSGME with tips.

Well I have got my game up and running, shame about the ships.

Is there any plans of fixing it?

Just out of curiosity, the issue with crew walking peramiters is that a coding or general model error? If its code then if someone can help point me in the right direction I'll play around and try align them correctly. I'm just a litle fed up of watching my crew running off the back of my ship to stand there and stratch their head a few meters above the water, haha!

I can make a list of all the ships that are affected, off the top of the my head here are a few:

- Interceptor (worked fine in the Combined Ships Mod, but in the COAS CMv3, despite the nicer looking textures the crew think the ship is several meters forward than it really is, also in first person you can not get onto your quarter deck and you run into invisable barriers).
- Heavy Brig (Crew walking off the back of the ship a fair distance).
- Some ship beginning with S.... (The vessel Nathaniel Hawk starts with, a form of Brig rigged vessel, crew vector map is also messed up).
- Flying Dutchman (Crew vector map does not seem to fit the ship, heads sticking through decking, climbing up imaginary ladders and walking half way through the deck).

There were a few others like one or two of the Cutters and smaller vessels aswell.

No its not complicated at all, just takes a long time. I have done many of them in the past but they got very annoying in the end lol.

I've looked through some of the files, and downloaded a GM reader tool and looked at some of the models and the path.gm files. The only vessel I've looked at is the Interceptor, but noticed there are two model files for this. One model is further forward on the X axis than the other is and may be whats causing the crew and 1st person walking errors with that ship.

But certainly if we can sort out these crew paths then it would really be great for this mod. See, the way I see it is this is not just a mod but a community build UPDATE for the game and I believe (as a user trying to help) it be as polished as a professional patch could be! :D

Still working on it...

Loads of even the bigger vessels like East Indiamen, Endevour, Batavia2, Dutch 2 Decker have crew issues aswell.

May I take this opportunity to ask, whats the deal with the 2 Endevour models? One is the Ship of the Line version from PotC and the other is some form of Frigate....

May I take this opportunity to ask, whats the deal with the 2 Endevour models? One is the Ship of the Line version from PotC and the other is some form of Frigate....

I'm not quite sure, but I'm of the opinion that there are some ships that need to go, they just look out of place amongst the CoAS/modder made ships.

Back