• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Modding Ships and sails

ledhed

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I would like to mess around with the ships and maybe even create my own class.

What files need I be delving into ?

If I just want to make the sails more durable...and make it hardr to dismast a ship...IMO its way to easy .

How can I change it for all the ships ?

If I just want to do it for one ship ?

You will probably be wanting to change the file PROGRAM\SHIPS\ships_init.c, which contains the stats for all the ships in the game. I'm not sure how to make sails more durable, really. Chainshot has recently been made much more effective in the game (it wasn't doing much useful previously) and perhaps you're noticing the effects of that mod when enemies use chainshot against you?

I wonder.
If one wants to make such an "ubership", couldn't they just change/increase the HP for the sails on a specific ship model?
Then they can assign it as unique and perhaps "CanBuy " but not CanEncounter .
It would not have stronger sails, just sails that would take longer to destroy and cost more to repair.

Also I think code sets three hits on a mast to topple it.
Not too sure about this and don't know where the code is.

All the sails on all the ships are 100 points. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to increase this. Many places that use percentage of sails do not divide by max sail, but use the sail points directly, divided by a constant 100.

Roundshot takes 3 hits on the mast to destroy it. Chainshot takes 5 hits on the mast to destroy it. We may want to up these a bit, possibly to 5 and 8, because shot fires higher with the new code. With chainshot the effect is obvious. But a ship at a distance greater than 350 yards from a target will fire roundshot higher than normal as well, but not as high as chainshot.

We could possibly scale the number of mast hits for different types of ships. I'd suggest using the number of hull hit points for this, but other formulas are possible.

If people think dismasting happens too often now, or significantly alters the play blance, then let me know and I'll look into ways to fix it.

Hook

Back