• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Mods and what they do

SergeantEpson

Landlubber
I personally found the vanilla game fun but unplayable. I then went to mods but don't quite understand what they do. What I'm asking is:
-What different mods do that doesn't happen/is improved over vanilla
-The differences between different mods (stability, gameplay, etc)

I want to make this accessible to people who (like me) weren't here from the start. So for example I'm persoanlly going to use GOF. But whats the difference between 1.2 and 2.0? For example when 'changes' are listed I'd like to see all features of the mod. 2.0 says it doesn't have the same amount of changes, but what are they?

I'm eventually going to use this thread and scour some others myself to make mini guides on each of the mods. Thanks in advance.

I wish you luck Mate. :treasure: Frankly none of the few modders for the game have time to spell out what all the mods do for you.

There are hundreds of mods for this game now - from large comprehensive mods like the JA mods, CMV mods, and GOF mods ----- to dozens of mini mods below. Some are obsolete - many are not.

If you really want to make a guide you will have to dig for buried treasure.

Look through the mod threads at all the mods there and their explanations. Look at the "read me" files for the mods. The CMV and GOF mods have pretty good read me files - many with changelogs.

Have fun. :read

MK

Thanks very much. I'll look through the readmes.
Can I ask for a few starters? What are the main websites for the mods? Are GOF and CMV most up to date versions based here on piratesahoy?
Are GOF, CMV and JA mods the most popular, which is the most supported, and which is the most stable?
Thank you.

Pirates Ahoy! and MODDB are the main sites for the mods. There are a couple of other sites that have posted some of our mods available as well for DL, but I'm not tracking those and none of the mod team gave them content, they just posted the mod DLs there themselves.

GOF is the latest up to date mod. Luke159 finished GOF2.0 beta recently, but I don't think he's done. He is still testing the stability. He made 2.0 because GOF 1.2 becomes unstable and crashes a bunch when you level up above 12 or so and start facing larger ships. So far I hear 2.0 is very stable. I have been developing the GOF Era's mods (not yet released) for the last year.

GOF 1.0 and 1.1 were the most stable and both 2.0 and Era's are based on 1.0/1.1

The last CMV (Combined Mod Version) is 3.2 and is still available for download on MODDB. We are no longer developing any of the CMV mods.

The JA (Jonathon Aldridge) mod was the first mod that combined new characters, additional available ships and numerous bug fixes into one mod. I noticed recently the link to the JA mod is gone. I still have the original JA mod and may post it to MODDB for those wanting something simpler with the basic COAS bug fixes in place.

The CMV and GOF mods are definitely the most popular. The numerous CMV versions have been downloaded over 60,000 times. GOF at this point is even higher.

I believe that CMV 3.2 is still the most stable mod we ever produced.

MK

I searched for the CMV 3.2 and there is no way i could find that version.
That means the most stable one is no longer supported (for download, at least) by piratesahoy and moddb?
:)
And ... if not, what version should i download instead (was big fan of this games, i really played them all, since Sea Dogs) - but pls send me to a stable version :) ( i understand there is no perfect one, but at least a decent one )
And if it's not too much to ask, PLEASE, help me with a link :) (one of you guys should take 2 hours of his life and make a decent tree- structure of this entire universe - main releases, modds, patches, etc , because for a new fan, it;s incredibly difficult to find anything :) . And i insist on that word TREE, a perfectly clear structure. Thanks for understanding me :) )

PS. i understood gof 2.09 is a stable version of gof , but i couldn;t find it . Forgive my stupidity and help me to find it, IF it is a good version

That's a good thread xD

What mods do ? Let's see.. everything the original game doesn't or was screwed up in there. Specially for this game you got hundreds of new and highly detailed ships compared to the original, which were also improved, new weather, characters weapons, towns and map. In other games it may comnpletely change what happens, like Vietcry for Crysis 1. Mods are the apogee of gaming !

Thank you, Pieter. I tried gof 1.2 and had some terrible crashes, after level 10 , now i download gof 1.0 , patch 1.1 , and gof 2.0 with 2.0.9 patch, i hope one of them will do it :)
You did a great job guys, with this game, over the years. I'm sure you already know it , but a warm thanks never hurts :)
(however, next time you do smth like that, add an extra guy to your crue : one should ONLY remember and organize the downloading area :)) , to keep updates sane)

I've been asking the modders to make a proper installer on the ModDB for the latest stable release for quite some time.
Even offered to help them. Hasn't happened.

Disunity of effort, lack of interest, time and priority - unfortunately. :unsure I think I'm the only one from the old team that's still here with some frequency. Maybe we can do this for my Eras mod.

MK

A huge mega modpack for AOP2 that I've been working on for the last two years and am releasing in the next several days.

Was the ship battle in the first video an actual gameplay footage or animation/montage ? Looked interesting tho I couldn't watch it well due to Int. connection problems. Are the jungles the PotC with new trees ? I don't remember AoPs having any. And - with so many playable characters - if you take for example the Admiral that I saw, will you jump in the middle of the action with high rank, fighting fleets, chased by fleets, or you'll have to start building from the beginning with single small ships as opponents ?

Disunity of effort, lack of interest, time and priority - unfortunately. :unsure I think I'm the only one from the old team that's still here with some frequency. Maybe we can do this for my Eras mod.
I do hope so. Hopefully fairly soon too; I probably won't be actively around for much longer anymore. Another month, perhaps?

Well in my defense most games I've played have an intro video that shows no game play. However, If you look close you will see a couple of clips of ships from GOF Eras afloat. I was going for a historically flavored introduction that tells a story. If you look at the Youtube vid you will see that I gave credit to Docema for the cut scenes that are not game content.

To answer your question about characters... I wanted good historical characters, but didn't know how to code them with higher levels and skills to begin with so everyone starts out a beginner despite their distinguished appearance. Some of the characters do have a ship that is suited to them and a little more money, but most have almost nothing - some no weapons and you start with nothing but a coastal sailboat.

MK

Looks cool nevertheless. How are the encounters in AoP 2 ? The ones in PotC are already near completion.

Back