• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

More Gun varieties

Cap'n Trevorrow

Landlubber
Greetings all I am a returned member, however my username no longers seems to want to work I used to to "Cap'n Cornish". About 5 years ago may be a bit longer i pestered people here on how to alter cannons in game to firstly name them correctly to Long Guns instead of cannons and Carronades instead of cannons. I managed this and got it to work on my build mod (what ever number it was back then) I then added a large variety of different gun calibers starting from 1/2 pdrs for small boats rite up to 36 pdrs which i think were the heaviest broadside battery guns fitted to any vessel in this period, unless of course you include what the french called the devil guns which HMS victory had on here Foc'sle which were 100 pdr swivel mounted carronades. The weight/calibres i added are as follows: 1/2, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24, 32, 36. I even managed to change the pictures for the different types and over certain weights. I have a feeling it was catalina that helped me a little to get started into the modding. However I joined the Royal Navy 5 years ago and this put an end to my spare time I was in the process of bundling this together to give to the build team when my pc dies about three months before joining the navy and i did not see the point in buying another. There fore with time past I've lost my skills and am a noob modder again and also lost my data, however I am willing to start again with the teams permission i would like to attempt to add these new guns to the build. My final question supposing that what i have read on the moddb site was correct earlier this week the community will be recieving the source for the engine??? Therefore is it possible to do what my original idea for this mod was and also alter the cannons for each deck for example on a man o' war 36 pdrs lower 24 pdrs middle 18 upper and then 12 pdr carronades on weather deck then say 12 pdr long gun chasers fore and aft. In fact now thinking of it it could be possible to add three types of gun, carronade, short range but powerful, cannons, in the middle of performance, long guns long range very accurate.

What does every body think and who is willing to re-initiate me into this age of sail world of modding???

We got the source code for AoP 2, but not PotC.
Looks like we won't get it either, because apparently nobody even has it anymore. :facepalm

As for your idea of the cannons, I'm always happy to have people making more improvements to the game.
However, my historical knowledge is lacking and I'm not 100% sure what it'll add to gameplay.
But I'm sure many people will be happy with it, so I'm definitly not going to say "no". ;)

In any case, we're all willing here to help you get back into modding.
I think in this case PROGRAM\CANNONS\Cannons_init.c is the first file you'd need to look at. :doff

Nice to see an 'old timer' returning! From what I can tell, we're a bit thin on the ground, these days.

Anyway, I love the idea of the different cannons on each deck! :onya
I still wonder how some ships in the game can POSSIBLY float with a full compliment of 32 pounders!
(Especially that 'Heavy Warship' with 74 guns! That should DEFINITELY not be afloat!)

From what I know, all ships of that time had combinations of guns, not just one consistent calibre.
Or at the very least, they'd have long guns for chasers and heavier guns for broadsides.
So if you could at least achieve that, then the game would make more sense! :yes

I don't think he's suggesting carrying different cannon types on the same ship, just having more cannon types available.
As for different cannon types on the same ship, I don't think that's going to be easy.
I wrote a bit of an essay on that one fairly recently. See here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16110-multiple-cannon-types/page__view__findpost__p__371097

So am I mistaken to think that the above implies just that? :huh

As for different cannon types on the same ship, I don't think that's going to be easy.
Well, after reading your 'essay' on the matter, I see what you mean!!
Shall we get started(?) Who knows, we may be able to finish before next year... :rofl

Never mind- it's certainly a good thought, but an EXTREMELY complicated one to put into any of the games!
And I guess it would require a considerable amount of extra thinking on the spot when in a battle, and potentially lead to severe confusion...
"Er, quick, load the 32 pounders with balls, the 24 pounders with grapes, or, did I mean the 18 pounders... or the chainshots...?" :wacko:

Oh dear- have I not been very clear again? :eek:ops2
Or, have I confused myself in confusing you?
Or did you confuse yourself, thus confusing me?
I'm confused. :wacko:

LOL! Seems the confusion already started right there with me:
So am I mistaken to think that the above implies just that? :huh
In case I confused you, the above quote was referring to this:
I don't think he's suggesting carrying different cannon types on the same ship, just having more cannon types available.
As I'm pretty sure it DOES imply that he wanted to carry different cannons on the same ship...

But if you already knew that, sorry for the further confusion.
:j3

No, I meant I started the confusion. But in doing so in a confused manner, I consfused things even further. :facepalm

Well at least that's clear, now! Sorry 'bout that. :cheeky

Anyway... where were we?
Oh yeah, I was going to say this:
Even if we can't put different guns on the same ship, I'd still be happy with a brand new shiny set of historically accurate gun calibres to choose from!
But do they really go as small as 1/2 calibres?! They may as well just fire their pistols at enemy ships! :rofl

Just brainstorming, here, but would it not be feasible to "borrow" from Freelancer and add a "grouping" system, whereby, for example, the key "1" corresponded to the upper port guns, "2" to the mid port guns and so on and so forth, and when pressing the "fire" button, only the selected battery would fire?

(The fact that you can fire both broadsides, as well as all chasers simultaneously, when a ship of the line would usually have sufficient crew to handle only one battery, as well as recoil issues, has bothered me much with this game...)

See my essay here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16110-multiple-cannon-types/page__view__findpost__p__371097

Back