• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

My 9m Sailboat

Here is what it looked like by the time of her rechristening ceremony end March this year:
img_20190330_110932931_hdr_resized-jpg.34880
Gorgeous! :love And I love the personal special interest reference.

You have a flair for design, Pieter -- you do. :yes

:pflag[pirate flag] <-- Rocks! :aar This pirate approves. :pirates

@Pieter Boelen: now that you've dropped the Amsterdam from your signature, and have something a bit smaller, should we replace the Amsterdam with something a bit smaller for your namesake in PoTC? xD

That's not entirely a joke - if you want the game character to have something like a sloop or ketch textured to look like your Atlantis, say the word and I'll make it happen.

A four-master probably isn't happening unless someone wants to build it in Maya, or at least put a whole new rig onto an existing ship. The cabin midships probably also isn't happening unless you want your ship to be a steam frigate. And a sharp clipper bow will definitely need a new model built in Maya.

Otherwise, the nearest match would be a mostly flat-decked ship with three masts, at least three sails on each of fore and main masts, and jib sails rather than a sprit topmast. That's basically a frigate, preferably from "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic" periods. Any particular preference?

So it's a challenge? Very well...

To me, there is a fundamental problem with the way the Flying Dutchman is depicted in DMC and AWE. To illustrate, here's a painting which I plundered while redecorating Lucia's house. (Bartolomeu's Lucia, not Ardent's. :D)
flying_dutchman_painting.jpg

See the difference? Flying Dutchman, not Sinking Dutchman. xD So let's have a bit of fun:
real_flying_dutchman.jpg

This piece of amusement turned out to have a useful side effect. The painting shows relatively dull sails, not the bright red of our crimson sails, so I tried to use tan sails, then ran a FreePlay as a Cursed character. The curse turned the sails ragged and also white. Crimson sails stayed crimson when cursed, tan sails didn't. A Windows search for "sail_torn_red", to find out what red sails were doing and tan sails weren't, showed that I'd missed something when I created tan sails. "NK.c" has a function "GetCharacterCursedSails" which assigns torn textures based on the original sail texture and if there isn't one defined for that sail texture, it defaults to white. With a suitable line added for tan sails, it now curses them properly.

This piece of amusement turned out to have a useful side effect. The painting shows relatively dull sails, not the bright red of our crimson sails, so I tried to use tan sails, then ran a FreePlay as a Cursed character. The curse turned the sails ragged and also white. Crimson sails stayed crimson when cursed, tan sails didn't. A Windows search for "sail_torn_red", to find out what red sails were doing and tan sails weren't, showed that I'd missed something when I created tan sails. "NK.c" has a function "GetCharacterCursedSails" which assigns torn textures based on the original sail texture and if there isn't one defined for that sail texture, it defaults to white. With a suitable line added for tan sails, it now curses them properly.
Nice, I probably wouldn't have noticed it had you not pointed it out. :onya

See the difference? Flying Dutchman, not Sinking Dutchman. xD So let's have a bit of fun:
Is this going to be a part of the main mod?

Nice, I probably wouldn't have noticed it had you not pointed it out. :onya
Neither did anyone else. Presumably anyone playing a cursed character from the start did not choose one of the small ships which get tan sails by default; and nobody has been playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" in Arcade mode, then picked up a naughty coin while still sailing the lugger with which you start the story. And I wouldn't have noticed it because I play Realistic mode and don't normally use the cursed start for FreePlay.

Is this going to be a part of the main mod?
Probably not, partly because I've no idea what a ship raised about 20 units above sea level is going to do to gameplay, and partly because I can't think of any useful purpose for it. But if you want a flying ship, it's easy. Define the ship in "ships_init.c", then find the 'refShip.WaterLine' line and subtract 20 from it. (Or try other values.) The one in the screenshot is just a clone of "Lineship1", which is the Black Pearl from the stock game and which bears a lot more resemblance than the film Dutchman to the ship in the painting.

Back