• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

My new rig!

Well once the video card fried I decided I really did need a new one :D

Intel® Core™ I7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, turbo up to 3.06GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit (English)
8GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 4GB)
500GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
15.6" Edge to Edge Full High Definition (1080p) Display with TrueLife(TM )-Obsidian Black
ATI Mobility RADEON(R) HD 4670 - 1GB
Slot Load 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
Dell 1520 Wireless-N card
Free Bose Companion 2 Speakers :cheeky

That is the default specs I think my version has been further upgraded (mum is getting it for me for christmas)

Yep a Dell Studio XPS 16 my current laptop is an older M1210 and was a very good machine until the battery and video card screwed up

Its like one of the most powerful laptops available on Dell (it is even better than an Alienware laptops) :cheeky (good on my mum)

Why does something tell me that'll be your only gift this year? xD: I can imagine the price. :yes Better than an Alienware system? Yikes! I remember years ago of dreaming of getting an Alienware setup, but the prices kept it only a dream. :modding

Yep my gift from my mum and dad and I have to pay for stuff like office but that is fine (student and employee discount :cheeky)

Nice rig there Captain Maggee, congratulations mate! Laptops are pretty handy, I'm gonna have to invest in a new one one of these days. I have an old IBM 560E running Windows 98, it has a P150 and 40 meg of ram, takes about 5 minutes to boot completely! xD:

I'm still chugging away with a 5 year old dual core 1.6... Happily, even :3

Since I built it myself... nothing ever goes wrong.

Anybody figured out yet how to change the default Windows 7 themes with ones from places like dA and/or Neowin?

I been waiting for this one Stallion! xD:

The stock Windows look is always one of the first things to go. xD: Thanks for the links!

Half the themes don't want to work right, though. :rolleyes: Seems to be Bill is now totally against you making your computer YOUR computer. :modding And I thought XP was bad for themers.

Yeah, I know what you mean Stallion, that's one thing that has always bugged me about Windows. It can be tough to get things to look just the way you want them too. For most of those themes, to get them to look like the screen shots you have to use the Universal UXTheme Patcher so you can even apply a custom theme. Then to change some of the icons and graphic elements you also have to use Resource Hacker to modify some of the windows DLL files, it can be a real pain! Typical Microsoft, they want complete control of everything. :modding

So far, I think this is the best looking overall theme that I have found for Windows 7 :
http://virtualcustoms.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=197

There are several other good ones on that forum also. I really like the look of that task bar, it's the theme I am currently using. Although I didn't edit the start button, so mine is still the default 7 orb.

One promising program that I ran across about a year and a half ago is called VistaStyleBulder. It will let you change anything contained within the msstyles that Windows uses to control just how the user interface appears. I had to use it to apply the msstyle file for the Dark7 Ultimate theme to get the task bar to appear properly. It's a great little program, unfortunately there is not a whole lot of documentation with it yet and a lot of it is trail and error. They are working on a Wiki for it though, and there are a some tutorials available on there forum. It is really similar to what Stardock did with Windowblinds and Skinstudio, except it works natively with the msstyle sheets and doesn't have to be translated, therefore it's a LOT more stable and doesn't use resources like Stardock's apps. It was originally designed for Vista, but has been upgraded to work with Windows 7.

You can read more about it here :
http://www.vistastylebuilder.com/

Murphy's Law is right
I love my computer it can play most games on high graphics
quote from me when I got my old computer

First thing to go video card xD:

Yup ...fate is like that Captain Maggee! Never tempt it! xD:

Thanks for the link, Thagarr! I'll definitely look into that!

I've just been sticking with changing the colors in the standard theme, since every other one I've tried, except a few that didn't look any good, have yet to work properly.

Got my new rig... $%^# its sweet :cheeky

Its running games my old computer used to run on low on top and its smooth as anything :D

Awesome Captain Maggee, congratulations mate! :cheers

Back