• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

My third try...:p

Bava

Wannabe Shipwright
3D Artist
QC Advisor
Storm Modeller
Okay, this is my third try to finish a ship and get it into PotC, hopefully it´ll be more successfull than the previous two. :p

Here´s the model:

And with ornaments for texture baking

Been working on her for 3 weeks now, polycount is 23k tris.
The colour scheme and everything else is WIP, of course.

Facts about the 'original':

20-gun frigate built to the design of Sir John Williams, keel laid down in 1773 and launched in 1775.
She operated in the Atlantic during the War of Independence and saw service at the Cape of Good Hope and the Mediterranean later on.

Broken up in 1811.

Length of the lower deck......108 feet
Breath moulded...................29 feet 7 inches
Depth................................9 feet 8 inches
Tons burden.......................431
Crew.................................140

Armament:

12 swivel guns
20 nine-pounders
6 twelve-pounder carronades (since 1793)

Contemporary paintings by Joseph Marshall: Click0r!

Original draught:

C&C more than welcome :)

So... what happened to previous two? :blah:

Hehe...

The first one was my first attempt at 3d modelling and has so many errors that it would take ages to get it in 'ship-shape' (Inzane got it into AoP, though), the second one was 'lost at sea' last year (hardware meltdown, back up your files, mateys ^^) ;P
A friend of mine recently managed to recover most of the files , but I can´t be bothered to work on it now that I have this little lady.^^

If I'm not mistaking, you use Blender, right?

There is only one thing in screens that doesn't fit your fine vessel - the weird stretchy textured polygons on the deck. :)

Yup, I´m using blender.

there is only one thing in screens that doesn't fit your fine vessel - the weird stretchy textured polygons on the deck.

At the end of the quarterdeck and on the gangways? Good catch, will be fixed asap. :yes

Beautiful! Where have you found the wood texture?

I found a good photo of planks on a architecture site and then 'merged' it with a texture I already had.
Treenails and other details were done by me.

Very nice model!

Is this a British ship? If so... I'm confused over ratings, any experts here in ship ratings?
I thought that by 1770 onwards a 20 gun would have been unrated, and a ship of that design would have been considered a Sloop of War with frigates coming in at 28 guns onwards? Or was that later on? I get confused over the varius reforms to our British ratings.

And yes, its a british ship and a 6th Rate. IIRC, the 6th Rate covered all ship-rigged (i.e. with three masts) ships from 20 to 28 guns.

It is a very beautiful work. I'm looking forward to meet her in the game. :dance

Depends on what you mean with 'last version'... xD:

It is a very beautiful work. I'm looking forward to meet her in the game. :dance

Small update, started on a Royal Navy colour scheme:

Regards,
Bava

Absolutely gorgeous, mate! If we can't use her in the games due to too high poly-counts, try selling her to the PotC: On Stranger Tides crew! :razz

Aghh, I see. HMS Sphinx is I believe the first of the Sphinx class 20 gun 6th rate Frigates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_class_post_ship
http://zope.mein-media.de//meinmedia/frigate/plans/index.html

Aghh, I see. HMS Sphinx is I believe the first of the Sphinx class 20 gun 6th rate Frigates.

Exactly :yes
As far as I know, the Sphynx class was the third batch of 20-gun frigates, all 'shortened' versions of the Peregrine Galley (aka Royal Caroline).

:gday Bava,
Exceptionaly good :onya
damski.

Thanks, matey :bow

Small Update, added chain plates and played a bit with the colours

EDIT: LOL @Pieter :)

Already gave it to pgargon (have a close look at his gorgeous Coroune ^^).
If someone else can make use of it, just send me a pm, but it will only work with UVs which are set up for tiling. :)

Regards,
bava

Back