• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Naval Officer: Letter of Marque does not stick

Captain Tiems

Landlubber
but how do you get promoted? the relations screen said is light green, but there isn't a dialog option for promotion anywhere

When you visit a governor of any colony belonging to your nation, one of the things you should be able to say to him is "I've heard I'm up for promotion." Often when you first talk to the governor (or other people, for that matter) you don't get the full range of choices; talk to him, quit, then talk to him again. Another option might be "I'm looking for a Letter of Marque", though if you're a naval character then you should already have one. What is written in light green on the relations screen?

Are you playing the "Horatio Hornblower" storyline, by any chance? If so, you have a problem because you only get a different ship at specific times in the story.

I'm playing free play as james norrington, in the relations screen it says lieutanant in light green, but i never get the option dor promotion

I'm playing free play as james norrington, in the relations screen it says lieutanant in light green, but i never get the option dor promotion
Execute this line through console and see if that helps:
Code:
ReceiveLetterOfMarque(ENGLAND);
See here for how to do that: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/modding-tips-tricks.24942/

If that does make a difference, please let us know! I noticed myself last weekend that I wasn't being promoted and that fixed it.
Except that it should be correct in the first place so I don't know what's going on there.
But I couldn't replicate the problem when I tried either. :modding

This is probably STILL A PROBLEM in here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/

For testing, please try this through console (see here for details on how: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/modding-tips-tricks.24942/):
Code:
if(HaveLetterOfMarque( GetCurrentLocation() )) Logit("Have Letter of Marque of this nation");
else LogIt("No Letter of Marque here!");
This is ESPECIALLY for Navy Officer player characters.
Start the game and press F12 in a town of the nation you serve. Make sure it DOES indicate you have a LoM.
Then during play, try this occasionally in towns of your nation to check if it is still there.

There could be two different things going wrong here:

- Professional Navy character doesn't HAVE a LoM at game start.
I tested this last weekend, but the code for this is in place properly and it worked fine when I checked it.

- Somehow during play, you lose it but NOT your rank, so you don't notice that it happened but it still puts a stop to your promotions.
I'm not sure if and how this may be happening, but being recognized/hoisting a pirate flag might be possible culprits.

So when you start a new game with the new update, please try this because I want to know what is breaking this feature! :whipa

Is there a possibility the kicked from service function is called somewhere but it doesn't function right?

That's what I'm wondering. But you should also lose your rank then which doesn't happen.
That's why I would hope for some testing so we can narrow this one down.

I'm not sure if this was responsible, but it certainly wasn't helping!
Code:
  if (ENABLE_FLAGS == 1) {
     // PB: Skip this to prevent errors with Corsair and Professional Navy starts!
   /*   LooseLetterOfMarque(ENGLAND);
     LooseLetterOfMarque(FRANCE);
     LooseLetterOfMarque(SPAIN);
     LooseLetterOfMarque(HOLLAND);
     LooseLetterOfMarque(PORTUGAL);
     if (CheckGuestNation(GUEST1_NATION, AMERICA)) LooseLetterOfMarque(AMERICA);*/

SetActualRMRelation(ENGLAND, GetRMRelation(PChar, ENGLAND));
     SetActualRMRelation(FRANCE, GetRMRelation(PChar, FRANCE));
     SetActualRMRelation(SPAIN, GetRMRelation(PChar, SPAIN));
     SetActualRMRelation(PIRATE, GetRMRelation(PChar, PIRATE));
     SetActualRMRelation(HOLLAND, GetRMRelation(PChar, HOLLAND));
     SetActualRMRelation(PORTUGAL, GetRMRelation(PChar, PORTUGAL));
     if (CheckGuestNation(GUEST1_NATION, AMERICA)) SetActualRMRelation(AMERICA, GetRMRelation(PChar, AMERICA));
   }
Hopefully that was indeed it and this will now work better in the next update.

In which function was this?

I really don't see why this should be called. If I where you I would remove the relation stuff also, it might mess up stuff too....

In which function was this?

I really don't see why this should be called. If I where you I would remove the relation stuff also, it might mess up stuff too....
That is the bottom of PROGRAM\NATIONS\relations_init.c .

I didn't remove the SetActualRMRelation lines yet because they've been there forever and probably don't do any harm.
That being said, whatever they do is probably being overridden by SetRelationsAsNation function that I call as almost the last thing after pressing "Start New Game".

Certainly the nation relation code can be cleaned up substantially.
There are all sorts of separate systems that surely aren't helping much of anything.
I'll see what is needed when I get to fixing those False Flags, which I am suspecting will lead me to some nasty finds.... :(

ah, yeah I can understand this being in nation_init. and if so I think I have the solution for your problem.
nation init is probably called in reinit. so when using f11 the letter of marque went away.
So maybe add the First check round this part so its only called when loading a new game?

ah, yeah I can understand this being in nation_init. and if so I think I have the solution for your problem.
nation init is probably called in reinit. so when using f11 the letter of marque went away.
So maybe add the First check round this part so its only called when loading a new game?
I already got rid of the "LooseLetterOfMarque" lines, so I'm hoping that might help.
Indeed a Reinit may have been responsible for it in the past.

Has anyone been playing as a Naval Officer recently? Could you continue to gain promotions throughout your game?

I am playing as "Michiel de Ruyter" promoted to vice admiral. Then for some reason I
lost my LOM and my rank to. I got a new LOM , then I was promoted to Cadet Lieutenant,
but a Cadet with command of four big ships and about 2000 men :shock. Now I will go a little
back in game, and try it out with the new update.

I am playing as "Michiel de Ruyter" promoted to vice admiral. Then for some reason I
lost my LOM and my rank to.
YIKES! Have you got any idea when that happened?
Did you get an on-screen message about "Loose Letter of Marque from Holland" at any point?

YIKES! Have you got any idea when that happened?
Did you get an on-screen message about "Loose Letter of Marque from Holland" at any point?
No not a clue and unfortunately I dont notice if there was a on-screen message about loosing my LOM.

No not a clue and unfortunately I dont notice if there was a on-screen message about loosing my LOM.
It might also have been written to compile.log; I have added a LOT of testing logs there so we can try to figure out what is going on.

Back