• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Naval Officer Progression

luftwaffle

Landlubber
I started playing the New Horizons mod, specifically the [Navy Officer] character start in free play, but can't figure out how to progress to higher ranks and get new ships. I've spoken with the Governor of Jamaica and completed a couple requests, auctioned off a couple prize ships, and spoke with the East India Company but still can't buy/be awarded a new ship or find any missions that relate to naval engagements.

Do I need to go to another island (haven't ventured far from Jamaica starting point in case I miss something)? I've been reading the Aubrey/Maturin series so I'm itching to play a similar narrative (though maybe the admiralty just doesn't like my character, similar to Jack Aubrey and Admiral Harte).

Thanks!

Each time you capture or sink an enemy ship, you earn relation points. Press F2, then go to "Relations". Your score with Britain should have gone up a few points. When it is high enough, it turns green. That's the signal that you are due for promotion. Go to any British governor to collect the promotion.

Ship-hunting missions for the governor will help as it's a source of enemy ships which should be set to be something which you can reasonably hope to defeat. Or you can cruise around the worldmap looking for enemy ships. Pirates won't score much as they're small ships, merchant ships won't score much because they're easy, but every little helps.

The East India Company has nothing to do with naval promotions. If you're a privateer and you amass more than 1,000,000 in gold, the crew becomes envious and wants their share of it. You need to sign articles. Or you can pay the East India Company a lot of money for a Merchant Licence, which tells the world in general and your crew in particular that you are an honest merchant. Then you can keep paying salary instead of signing articles. It's irrelevant to a naval officer because your crew are ruled by navy discipline so you never need to worry about them wanting a share of your money.

You can start as Jack Aubrey but it will be a FreePlay game, not a formal storyline. You get Jack Aubrey's face, name and starting ship. After that, what happens is up to you - it certainly won't follow the books!

Thanks! That helps give me an idea of what to look for. What's the [Naval HQ] building used for if not promotions (or is it not relevant in free play)?

The Naval HQ building is for the "Hornblower" storyline and has no significance in FreePlay. You'll also find one in Bridgetown, Barbados, which is also only used in the "Hornblower" storyline.

One more question: I was just granted some acreage by the governor but I'm not sure what I need to do with it/how to manage or play. I see the perk available but nothing in the quest log or on my map.

You get am amount of money each day or month, I haven't played in a while.

You can't go to it and you can't manage it, it's just a stat.

But maybe someone could improve this, I won't though, at least not for now.

The land is an abstract estate somewhere. It might be somewhere in the Caribbean, it might be in the governor's home land, it doesn't matter. You get some free money as taxes from your land. If you have the "Land Owner" ability, you get more money.

Back