• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Naval Officer Rank question

Vlaxie

Landlubber
Hello :) I've been looking all over for answers but I couldn't find anything. I've completed the Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower storyline and now from what I understand as a Naval Officer you get to rank up and as you do you get new ships for free etc. And my current rank with the British is Commander, but where can I check how many points I've left to go until promotion? Also while I'm at it, I picked up a General Quest - Smuggling for the Governor of Kingstown and the description says I should investigate smuggling going on around the Caribbean and report back to the governor but I've no idea what to do or where to go, tried talking to random people, the tavern keeper and the smuggler too but couldn't find anything. Pls help :)

Smuggling for a governor is almost the same as normal smuggling, except that you should have received a document from the governor. Go to a town where they sell something which is contraband in Kingston. Better yet, go and capture a French or Spanish merchant ship and hope that it's carrying something suitable. Then return to the Kingston smuggler. Set up the deal the same way as for normal smuggling, though if you're caught by coastguard soldiers, you can show them the document proving that you're working for the governor. When you've finished, report back to the governor.

Smuggling for a governor is almost the same as normal smuggling, except that you should have received a document from the governor. Go to a town where they sell something which is contraband in Kingston. Better yet, go and capture a French or Spanish merchant ship and hope that it's carrying something suitable. Then return to the Kingston smuggler. Set up the deal the same way as for normal smuggling, though if you're caught by coastguard soldiers, you can show them the document proving that you're working for the governor. When you've finished, report back to the governor.

Ohh thank you guys, I only now actually realized that those points on the Relations screen count towards Naval Officer ranks (sry not very bright) I got up to Post Captain :D And indeed I spoke to the governor after smuggling once and that has progressed the quest further

Yes, if you're playing Hornblower and reach the rank of Post Captain, you should find that the governor has something special for you. Or, more precisely, the governor should have told you that someone else has something special for you...

:) One question about the Hornblower storyline, I figured I'd ask here rather than make a new thread, I finished the The Natividad Incident quest and sank some more ships afterwards so I made it up to Commodore and then I tried talking to Pellew but he seemingly gave me the same quest again, telling me to go to Playa De Habana and deliver the goods and talk to the Don and yada yada yada, is this a glitch or is it the end of the questline? (i tried redoing the quest anyway to see if that would resolve anything but this time when I got to the fort and tried talking to the Don in his room by pressing space but nothing happens)

That is indeed a glitch - thanks for reporting it! I'll need to look at Pellew's dialog to prevent him from telling you to do something which you've already done. :facepalm "The Natividad Incident" is the end of the story. (Technically it's not part of the storyline, it is a special quest for Hornblower which you'll also receive if you choose any of Hornblower's models in "FreePlay" and are then promoted to Post Captain.)

That is indeed a glitch - thanks for reporting it! I'll need to look at Pellew's dialog to prevent him from telling you to do something which you've already done. :facepalm "The Natividad Incident" is the end of the story. (Technically it's not part of the storyline, it is a special quest for Hornblower which you'll also receive if you choose any of Hornblower's models in "FreePlay" and are then promoted to Post Captain.)

Ahh alrighty then :D In that case my final question would be how/where would I redeem my next ship from now when I rank up?

Normally you get the new ship at the same time as the promotion when you talk to a governor. Hornblower is special; you get the Sutherland as a result of completing "The Natividad Incident", so you don't get another ship when you're promoted to Commodore because you already have it.

Sometimes, instead of a new ship for yourself, you're assigned a free companion instead. And I think I may have to do a bit of work for Hornblower on that, too...

Fixed. Download this and copy it into place.

The dialog file used by Sir Edward Pellew (both versions - there's one for the storyline and one for FreePlay if you choose to play Hornblower without going through the story) now sets an attribute so that he remembers that he's given you the mission. It then checks that attribute when deciding whether to switch to the dialog about taking goods to Don Julian.

There's also another bug. You go into the room with the admirals, go back out, go back in, and now one admiral is missing and the others are looking out of the windows instead of at each other. This is because character facing is set by the direction of the locator where the character is placed; the code when you enter the room makes face each other, but if you leave and go back in, they're back to their default facing. And one admiral is a temporary character who ceases to exist when you leave the room. The fix now locks the door so you can't leave until you've talked to Sir Edward Pellew and received the HMS Sutherland. Then, when you leave, the door to the office locks so you can't go back in. When you put to sea, the office is reset - the door is unlocked and all admirals are removed, so next time you're in Bridgetown, you can go in there and not see Pellew or anyone else.

@Pieter Boelen: in the books, are any additional ships assigned to Hornblower's command when he reaches the rank of Commodore? At the moment, in the game, he gets the HMS Indefatigable under Sir Edward Pellew! This means Admiral Pellew has been demoted if he's now subordinate to Commodore Hornblower. I'd like to replace that with something more suitable. If there's nothing appropriate in the books, I'll probably promote Lt. Bracegirdle to captain and put him in a frigate of some sort.

Attachments

• PROGRAM.zip
    86.5 KB · Views: 338
@Pieter Boelen: in the books, are any additional ships assigned to Hornblower's command when he reaches the rank of Commodore? At the moment, in the game, he gets the HMS Indefatigable under Sir Edward Pellew! This means Admiral Pellew has been demoted if he's now subordinate to Commodore Hornblower. I'd like to replace that with something more suitable. If there's nothing appropriate in the books, I'll probably promote Lt. Bracegirdle to captain and put him in a frigate of some sort.
As Commodore, he operated from the 3rd Rate Nonsuch with Mr. Bush in command.
Other ships in his squadron were the sloops of war Lotus and Raven, Cutter Clam and bomb ketches Harvey and Moth.
See here for more details: Horatio Hornblower - Wikipedia

If you need the names of the captains of those other ships, I'd have to look them up in the books.

Indeed having Pellew join Hornblower's squadron does not make a whole lot of sense.

Correction - in "NK.c", Hornblower receives a secondary ship when he's promoted to Rear Admiral. At Commodore he currently gets the 3rd rate Sutherland, though he already gets that at the end of the "Natividad" quest while he's still a captain, so perhaps give him a different 3rd rate and call it Nonsuch. And then we'd need to rename the 1st rate which he gets at Vice Admiral because currently that's Nonsuch. :D

That Wikipedia article doesn't list anything useful when Hornblower is promoted to Rear Admiral, so perhaps let him have one of the sloops of war then. So if you can find out their captains, that would help. Otherwise Lt. Ebenezer Bracegirdle is going to become Commander Bracegirdle in command of Volage class sloop of war Lotus.

Looked it up:
Lotus under commander Vickery.
Raven under commander Cole.

And that led to a wiki page with all the rest:
  • HMS Nonsuch, 74-gun, Hornblower's flagship commanded by Captain Bush (Hornblower's former first lieutenant).
  • HMS Lotus, a sloop, commanded by Commander Vickery.
  • HMS Raven, a sloop, commanded by Commander Cole.
  • HMS Harvey, a bomb ketch, commanded by Lieutenant Mound.
  • HMS Moth, a bomb ketch, commanded by Lieutenant Duncan.
  • HMS Clam, a cutter, commanded by Lieutenant Freeman.
The Commodore - Wikipedia

Thanks! Then, at Rear Admiral:
Code:
                       case "Horatio Hornblower":
                           if (GetCompanionIndex(pchar,1) == -1 || GetCompanionIndex(pchar,2) == -1 || GetCompanionIndex(pchar,3) == -1) // GR
                           {
                               ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_CAPNAVY, "47_Blaze_brtlt", 3, ENGLAND, false);
                               ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Vickery");
                               GiveShip2Character(ch, "RN_Volage", "Lotus", -1, ENGLAND, true, true); // Sloop of war
                               SetCompanionIndex(pchar, -1, GetCharacterIndex(ch.id));
                               RemovePassenger  (pchar,     CharacterFromID  (ch.id));
                           }
                           else
                               LogIt("You seem to have a pretty impressive squadron of your own. Looks like you won't be needing the promotion ship.");
                       break;
'CreateOfficer_Cheat' gives the character a random name. The above code should set his surname to "Vickery"; with no first name listed on Wikipedia, this one will keep his random first name.

Bush would command the single ship Nonsuch, while a flag officer such as a Commodore or Rear Admiral would command the whole squadron. PoTC makes no such distinction, though William Bush will be one of Hornblower's officers by now - if you're playing the storyline then he's an NPC, if you're playing Hornblower as FreePlay then you'll receive him as a reward officer when you're promoted to Commander.

Fixed. Download this and copy it into place.

The dialog file used by Sir Edward Pellew (both versions - there's one for the storyline and one for FreePlay if you choose to play Hornblower without going through the story) now sets an attribute so that he remembers that he's given you the mission. It then checks that attribute when deciding whether to switch to the dialog about taking goods to Don Julian.

There's also another bug. You go into the room with the admirals, go back out, go back in, and now one admiral is missing and the others are looking out of the windows instead of at each other. This is because character facing is set by the direction of the locator where the character is placed; the code when you enter the room makes face each other, but if you leave and go back in, they're back to their default facing. And one admiral is a temporary character who ceases to exist when you leave the room. The fix now locks the door so you can't leave until you've talked to Sir Edward Pellew and received the HMS Sutherland. Then, when you leave, the door to the office locks so you can't go back in. When you put to sea, the office is reset - the door is unlocked and all admirals are removed, so next time you're in Bridgetown, you can go in there and not see Pellew or anyone else.

Very good, thanks for the quick fix :) Oh yes I wanted to ask where can I buy 4th-1st rate ships in this game, I've checked shipyards in Kingston, Btown etc but haven't seen any ships larger than a speedy brig

They are rare. If anywhere, I'd expect Kingston should have them.
Try checking back again some other time.

Being of flag rank, as well as probably a member of the rich gentry (plenty of money from prizes and likely a knighthood), you can of course use your own money to commission new ships. However, you're a naval officer, not a merchant! Show some fighting spirit! The best place to get yourself a large warship isn't a British shipyard, it's a French fleet. :pirate41: And being of flag rank, you're now allowed to take personal command of any ship you capture.

I think I have problems with the rise of rank. I am a British Commander for too long; In the 'relationship screen' I have 107 points and it is not in light green. I think with 107 points I should be promoted to 'Captain of the Post', right? I play in FreePlay for the British army with the appearance of Gregory Peck, and at the beginning of the game I appeared in Jamaica, and I dedicate myself to do missions of the governors of ship hunting. Can it be a game error?

According to this...
New Horizons National ranks | PiratesAhoy!
... you need 107.72 points. The part after the decimal point is not displayed, so you have somewhere between 107.00 and 107.99 points. If it's not showing green then presumably you have somewhere between 107.00 and 107.71 points. One more enemy ship should get you your promotion!

You do not need to concentrate only on governor ship-hunting missions. Sinking or capturing any enemy ship will earn you points. Pirates don't earn you much because they're usually fairly small, and merchants don't earn much because they're easy. Warships, being the toughest targets, earn you more - the bigger, the better, if you can survive the battle. But even a pirate or merchant should earn you enough to get you to 107.72, and if not, find another one!

Back