• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Naval Officer: Receive New Ship after Capsizing

@Grey Roger here http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/changing-ship-by-demotion-for-professional-navy.25497/ we discussed this already. If you've got a specific reward already by promotion you shouldn't be able to get it again.
Yes, but that was for demotions, where the suggestion is that you don't change ship when you're demoted. You certainly will need a new ship after capsizing - will this then be the same type as you had before capsizing, with a different name?

I still like to give you the previous ship when possible. This would mean I (guess I have to do it :p) need to rewrite the promotion part a bit. This shouldn't be that hard....
if that is done we could just give you the previous ship (you haven't thrashed yet) back :p.

I still like to give you the previous ship when possible. This would mean I (guess I have to do it :p) need to rewrite the promotion part a bit. This shouldn't be that hard....
if that is done we could just give you the previous ship (you haven't thrashed yet) back :p.
Before we get carried away on this one....
At the moment demotions aren't part of the game features and losing your ship as naval officer is probably a relatively rare occurrance.
Would it be an idea to leave this for later or apply a very simple fix for the time being and do this in a more fancy way later?
My thinking would be to tackle this properly after the Beta 3.5 release.

At the moment there are some other things that I would like to see tackled on a shorter term as per this post:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/personal-todo-list-goals.22239/page-4#post-512371
If those are done, that gives us a further base for development. But this particular feature sounds like more fine-tuning of a feature that already (almost) works well.

I'd think for 3.5 we should just have to get back the ship you had with a little fine (money).
For build14 we will make sure you get an older ship etc.

How important do we consider this? Do we need to address this prior to Beta 4?

How important do we consider this? Do we need to address this prior to Beta 4?
I think so yes because else a navy officer will get stuck after capsizing because he can't get a new ship...
Maybe for now just give back the old ship if it's destroyed and you manage back to the governor you serve.

I'll have to look into this one.... Might take a bit of experimenting. :facepalm

Reminder that this does still need doing in one way or another.
I'd prefer a cool way that allows this AND more, but something simple would suffice.
As it is, it is a potential game breaker for navy players.

This will probably be the next issue I tackle. I wonder how fancy the solution needs to be to suffice.

My first thought was to NOT decrease your rank at all after losing your ship, but only remove relation points so your next promotion will take longer to reach.
Then bypass all "rewards" except the ship if your player ship is of the "default lifeboat" type.

This may work fine, but it all gets a bit muddy at the later ranks where sometimes you get NO or a COMPANION ship instead.
Taking that into account, I was thinking of having a "while" loop lower your rank continuously until you DO actually get a player ship again.

And @Levis: How much use would you have for a full 'Demote' function?
I suppose I could set that up if necessary....

at the moment I don't need a demotion function.
Maybe just store your "oldship" when it sinks and you are in a lifeboat. that shouldn't be to hard and might be usefull for other things also.
Then just give them the "oldship" again if they are in a lifeboat and deduct some point.

This is weird.... If my ship sinks at sea and I survive, I now get a "Tartane50". So far, so good.
But despite her being stripped of all cargo, I STILL get 14 cannonballs and I've got NO clue where those come from.

Oh well, let's just consider them "ballast". I don't care.... :modding

I reckon this is DONE!

Here's how it works now:
- When you lose your ship, your former ship type is stored
- When you talk to the governor, you get a choice to get your ship back
- You WILL lose plenty of points with your served nation for this
- If you would lose too many points, you will be kicked out of the service without getting a new ship

As a bonus, now you CANNOT voluntarily leave the service anymore if you are a professional navy officer.

A full "Demote" function can be done can be done later, but for now at least this allows players to continue playing.

Back