• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Need help about Navigation on Iron Man

Nazdro

Landlubber
Hi everybody :)

I want to do a iron game on new horizons, with no compression time on the main adventure ( the Nathaniel Hawk one ).

Just wondering how long a ride on two isles can take, let's say Cuba to Hispaniola ?

If i understand correctly you cannot see your ship on the map before a certain level when you will be able to purchase the items (Sextan/Compass).

But is that possible to travel without ? Did i not risk to just miss my destination and be lost on the ocean for decade ?

Thanks you for reading me

The sextant and chronometer allow you to see your ship on the map. You can direct-sail without them - in fact, if you can't switch to worldmap, you'll have to direct-sail without them before you are high enough level to find them! But you'd better have at least some sort of compass to see which way you're going.

How long the voyage takes depends on the wind, both speed and direction. If you're sailing from Cuba to Hispaniola then you're heading eastwards. A 15 knot wind from the west is your friend. A 15 knot wind from the east is not your friend. Neither is a 5 knot wind in any direction.

Thank you for your response, but how yo be sure then travel without sextant to precisely target and not miss the isle ?

Look at the archipelago map. Figure out which direction you need to travel to reach the island. Use the compass to sail in that direction. You might indeed miss the island, in which case hopefully you'll hit another island, nearer to where you want to go. Figure out your new direction from there to your chosen island and try again.

Thank you for your response, but how yo be sure then travel without sextant to precisely target and not miss the isle ?
Sounds like you're already getting into the realism side of it!
What you describe is exactly one of the real navigational challenges from seafarers in those days.

Imagine doing an Atlantic Crossing but it is cloudy so you cannot use the sun and stars to determine your position.
Course keeping isn't steady; wind direction varies; there is an unknown current.
How do you arrive where you're trying to go?

This was actually done in the past like this.
And sometimes it would go badly wrong.

In PotC it is easier because course keeping is relatively steady, current doesn't exist and wind only changes once in a while.
So you'll need to determine your heading to the next island using the map; and then keep a good look-out for Land Ho.
You've got the bonus that when you approach any other island, you'll see a reload screen for "Land Ho".
This will tell you to be on the lookout; it is out there somewhere. And hopefully you were moving towards it, so it should come into view.

Back