• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need help original game won’t lauch

Irish Beard

Landlubber
Hello iv searched for a fix to this but cannot find one similar.

I bought the original Bethesda disks and installed Potc all went smoothly, until I click the launcher and it comes up “log in as administrator to launch”. So simple enough I right click and click run as administrator, and nothing happens.

I’m running windows 7 home premium, iv read a few fix topics and have tried moving the file from program files to the C: drive. Doesn’t help. Iv tried changing the properties, by going into compatibility and clicking the run in XP smart 2 etc. Nothing works.

Iv also went on and downloaded “mod build 3.1” and installed it to try that instead. It got further, it would let me click the launcher and actually launch but all would happen is the game would attempt to launch then a “visual c++ error” saying “abnormal termination error”

Iv limited knowledge on this and would appreciate help, I cannot see why the original game won’t even attempt to launch.

Any help on this is much appreciated, I enjoyed playing this game years ago.

Was thinking if I opened a new partition and installed xp to my laptop would this solve the issue?

Il add, all the problems iv saw people having was by getting as far as the main menu then the game crashing once they clicked new game. I haven’t had this issue as I cannot get the game to launch

When i first installed POTC on windows 7, i tested the stock game in order to see if it worked, before installing the New Horizons mod.

The stock game needs disk 1 inserted in order to lunch, so if you don't have inserted disk 1 it may not work.

Also, i believe Windows XP compatibility mode helps with POTC.

Hope, i was of help. :cheers

P.S. I think, if you want, installing the New Horizons mod could help and you don't need to insert the disk in order to play.

P.P.S.
Iv also went on and downloaded “mod build 3.1” and installed it to try that instead. It got further, it would let me click the launcher and actually launch but all would happen is the game would attempt to launch then a “visual c++ error” saying “abnormal termination error”

If the other things don't work, maybe you could download a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, maybe this is what is creating the “visual c++ error”.

Last edited:
If I recall, some newer Windows versions can't seem to cope with the original game copy protection.
The mod includes a No-CD feature which helps to get past this limitation.

Then there is also the Intel issue that makes the game crash after Start New Game.

It sounds to me like you may be affected by a combination of both.

What game experience do you want to play?
Easiest is to get New Horizons and select the Intel Fix as part of the installation process.

If you specifically want to play the original game or an earlier mod, please say so.
Then we'll have to sort out some extra workarounds.
Should be possible too.

Windows 7 Home Edition should be perfectly capable of running stock PoTC. That's what I have on my PC.

What graphics system does that laptop use? And which antivirus software is it running?

Back