• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Need HELP w/ MOD install for COAS- windows 7

Does anyone know how to properly install combined mod/GoF for COAS on windows7 OS???

• Help with Windows 7 COAS Mod install

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help with COAS Mod install

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sean

Landlubber
I've tried to install the Combined Mod/GoF for COAS on my new computer that has a windows 7 OS without success. I've installed on my old computer with Vista and no problems. Windows 7 is horrible. Did all the ownership/admin stuff and still no go. Tried manually overwriting EACH file (4hrs wasted) and game would not run. Probably something I did, thats A LOT of files to overwrite. Anyways, does anyone know how to MOD the game correctly for Windows 7???

Thanks in advance!! :)

Sean,

Before you start installing any MOD into the game, you need to make sure that CoAS "Vanilla" works including setting the graphics settings and keyboard commands.
You need to do a "test run" first, to eliminate the possibility of system incompatibilities on your computer.

One thing that immediately comes to mind in TAGES DRM protection, that can cause immediate CTD. This can be fixed with updated drivers which you can find here on this site.
My recommendation is to download the NO CD fix after installing the new TAGES and this potential issue is removed which also can be downloaded here on Pirates Ahoy!

Bottom line - Once you start overwriting files, almost no one will be able to decipher what is the problem source as only you know what you overwrote and there is no error log to review.

This is particularly problematic with some parts of Combined MOD and GOF, as certain parts are not compatible with each other.
Hopefully you are not trying to combine both mods or the game will definitely crash.
Pick either GOF 1.2 or GOF 2.0, but not both.
DO NOT add in parts of Combined MOD on top of either mod as things as simple as ship files will also kill the game.
DO NOT add in additional external mods, unless you know what files are being replaced, what they do, and how they affect the game.
Graphic files generally cause no issues, but may others can cause havoc, even after starting a new game.

Also, before you attempt to install again, make sure you CCleaner or equivalent to get rid of any old installation, including any personal settings before you try again.

This game will run fine in Windows 7, 64-bit with no problems even using Intel Graphics.

Best Regards.

Game works in Vanilla, crashes here and there not bad tho. Decided to just keep it that way. One thing I would like to change still is the sound files. Will that effect the game? Also would I have to start a new game for it to work?

Changing sounds files does not require at new game.
However make sure the bit rate, encoding, and file type matches the original sound, otherwise the sound will not play.

I recommend trying to install GOF 2.0 or Eras, and see what happens.
Both are stable and you otherwise would be missing out on a lot new features.

Ok thanks for the info. However I have same problem trying to install any patches, mods like GoF. Windows 7 is a funky OS to say the least and it won't let me copy the files like it's supposed to be done. When I try to move to folders into the games file it just copies them into the file and doesn't overwrite them like it should. I'm afraid to try and manually do it again bc there is a lot of things that I can mess up. But there has to be a way to figure out windows 7. Probably just some function I have to change or set in order for the OS to let me patch or mod games.

Your right too, I am missing out on all the good stuff. I had the game mod in my other computer (vista) and it was way better than vanilla.

Sean,

My guess is all these problems you are relating about over the last couple of threads is really the new WINDOWS 8 (not Windows 7)?

This would make more sense as Windows 7 has been around for quite some time, and the OS is quite stable.
The trick to getting all the file copying and overwrites without issues is to turn OFF all the administrator rules at least temporarily and disable this feature.
Even Windows 7 has issues with the default features enabled.
My Symantec End Protection (anti-virus) also goes berserk when I sometimes copy and modify files.

Cheers!

Back