• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Need Help With Assassin Storyline

POOTIS

Powder Monkey
Hello,

I have been enjoying the Assassin storyline (excluding the mission where you have to kill a man in a fort where enemies respawn, Chico does not follow you inside and only gives you a singular gas bomb), however, later in the storyline you are to free a special person from Spain sent to the Caribbean in order to check the Spanish colonies. I have freed him and now I must find the pirate who kidnapped him and sink his ship. My only lead is that he has a black fast galleon named ''Quick Death'' and that I should ''search for him on sea''.

I've visited every single island and I haven't seen the galleon. Furthermore, upon arriving again in the village on Curacao, the bounty hunter npc stays in front of the pirate's house, when he should be sailing to bring the envoy to the governor in Havana. Have I broken the quest, or must I simply sail aimlessly around until the galleon spawns?

It does seem as though something did not work in the village on Curacao. In that case, Roche Brasiliano's ship has not been placed. Zip and upload a savegame, then I'll see if I can get the quest back on track.

Thank you!
Here's the archived save file. On the most left ones I'm using a Carrack I had captured and the ones on the right are the older ones still with the heavy xebec.

Attachments

• Assassin.zip
    7 MB · Views: 171
  • Assassin.zip
    7 MB · Views: 175
Having looked at those savegames, I can tell you exactly why you have not found the Quick Death. You haven't looked hard enough. :p The ship has certainly been placed and I found it.

Did you know that you can use "Sail To" to go directly to a ship, not just to a port? The ship you are seeking is probably the one at the end of the list of ships available to Sail To.

Your "Melee" skill is moderate, your abilities almost non-existent. You should visit more dungeons, or go into the jungles to try to find some highwaymen to unlock the "Advanced Defence" ability. Also, buy yourself some gold armour - and also equip Amerigo Vieira with armour and a decent weapon, then put him in your party, before you go looking for dungeons and highwaymen.

I'm not sure why you dumped the xebec in favour of the carrack. The carrack is a merchant, relatively easy prey for even a fairly inexperienced privateer. The xebec is fast, agile and heavily armed, a hunter, and the only ship I ever keep to the end of a storyline. In any case, you're up against a fast war galleon, with close on four times the crew of either the xebec or carrack, and a tough captain. Good luck!

Alright I will do that.
As for the ship, I simply didn't like the triangular sails of the xebec and how poorly it did against the wind, I like to sail by speeding up time instead of going to the world map and the wind was almost always not in my favour. Could you please tell me on which island the ship is, or at least a hint to it? It should be with a pirate flag and not on a false flag, right?

how poorly it did against the wind
A Xebec doing worse against the wind than a Carrack?
That makes absolutely no real-life sense.

Carrack:
Code:
   refShip.ClosestPoint = 0.325;
   refShip.BestPoint = 0.8;
   refShip.RigType = "Gal";

XebecAC refers to Xebec1.
Neither has the above lines defined at all, which I think makes the values fall back to the defaults:
Code:
#define DEFAULT_CLOSESTPOINT   0.3
#define DEFAULT_BESTPOINT       0.8
The lower the value, the closer to the wind you can sail.
0.3 (Xebec default) is lower than 0.325 (Carrack), so you should be able to get closer with the fore-and-aft rigged ship.
Like I'd expect you would.

It's not really a big difference though.
Especially since a Carrack rig I'd expect to be notably bad at close-hauled sailing.

the wind was almost always not in my favour.
The actual wind direction is not related to your ship, of course.
Could it be that you've just been unlucky?

Alright I will do that.
As for the ship, I simply didn't like the triangular sails of the xebec and how poorly it did against the wind, I like to sail by speeding up time instead of going to the world map and the wind was almost always not in my favour.
As @Pieter Boelen says, that seems wrong - the xebec, with its triangular sails, should be much better against the wind than any square-rigged ship such as the carrack, and indeed this is one reason why I keep the xebec through the whole storyline. It's also very streamlined and practically glides through the water when all sails are furled, which means it does not lose much speed while tacking.
Could you please tell me on which island the ship is, or at least a hint to it? It should be with a pirate flag and not on a false flag, right?
Yes, Roche Brasiliano will be flying a pirate flag.

Hint 1:
Concentrate on the south-east area of the archipelago.

Hint 2:
Does he think he's Nathaniel Hawk?

Outright spoiler:
Barbados.

Back