• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Need help with several issues.

Foster161

Landlubber
Good day, mates.

Firstly, this is my first post on this forum, although I've been lurking for some years even before creating an account. In any case, I appreciate the ammount of quality that I've found here and the long living legacy.
Hence, I'm turning to the forum with several questions that I was not able to found in the old posts or mod documentations.

I'm running CoAS - GoG version with Gentlemen of Fortune 2.0 + 1.5b patches plus some blackknight's mods (music, port)

Anyway, the first question is about naval combat difficulty. No matter what I do, or how many crew I've got, my crew gets decimated extremely fast. When I'm in a combat with a heavy galleon, myself in a heavy galleon as well, their shots kill my sailors instantly, their reloads take 4x time less than mine and I end up with minimum crew before I kill his.
How do I come around this? I'm not exactly an expert on sea combat but I understand the basics. Most of my settings (GoF mod) are set to either inbetween or CoAS default though, but I can't tell the difference. Also, at start, I picked difficulty I think 4 from 10, is is taken into account here?

Edit: After digging in all documentation, I noticed that it was an reported issue - enemy cannons shoot too fast. Has there been a workaround for this? (lowering difficulty to 1 - 2 maybe? or perhaps it's the mix of mod settings that causes this)

Next question is about ship attributes. Most of the time I sail with about 75% crewed ships, and their skills are mostly 100% in "sailors" and little in cannons and combat. However, in the ship attributes, the speed for example is capped at 7 / 12 and so on. Cargo hold is only about 30% full, what else is the source of these penalties?

Next question is about companion officers. I hired one fella that has excellent carpenter stats and skills and a some bosun skills. I noticed that he has all the carpenter skills (quick repair, light repair, naval defense, etc.) and I see them in green on my character - however, I see no difference. Ship isn't repaired that quicker and I don't have the action quick repair in the select menu. Am I doing something wrong or has it been changed in GoF?

Last question is about characters. I've picked Nathaniel Hawk because I remember the older game but also it is the only character with good sounding English name that is also not shaped as a pirate or is a fantasy character. However, I noticed that his dueling animations and attacks are different from others and vanilla game. Can this be altered somehow?
Additionally, can a currently played profile be edited somehow or the character changed? I've put some time into the profile before shipwrecking on above troubles.

I thank you in advance and will appreciate any help, if you know some answers to my troubles, even if only for one of them.

-F.

Edit2:
I've advanced quite a bit since my last post, and I have some updates.

The irregular difficulty was caused by some GoF mod options i chose, having everything set on GoF settings balances things out.

I've started a new game, this time with Peter Blood to grind some early stats and cash, but the problem with officer skills persists still.
All the skills of Ogle and Pitt are available to me (foresight, quickturn, etc) but no matter what tavern companion I hire, I get no other quick skills (quick repair, brander). Am I doing something wrong or is it disabled in the mod?

Thank you.

Edit3:

Last edited:
Edit3: This is becoming my personal blog or captain's log, if you will. I'll try to keep it in as few posts to prevent forum flood.

I've advanced in my troubles quite a lot and learned a lot about the game.

From the extremely hard beginnings, the game turned into moderate-easy at times- game. The sea battles are pretty equal now thanks to highly skilled and trained officers (Pitt & Ogle irreplaceable) and overall most of the trouble from the original post gone.
In sea battles, I am usually outgunned (ai shooting speed noticeable) but due to skills I am able to balance it out. The officers' skills also work as intended, I was only dumb to realize that some things were a little lost in transition and the skills have requirements (the quick repair needs a ship to be at under 65 hp, etc)

So turning this thread into some questions-answers, I still need help with understanding some gameplay mechanics I haven't figured out myself yet.

For example, who are the Gentlemen of Luck pirates that have pretty good vessels and are they related to any quests I'm doing?

How come that the AI captains (F10 list) do no longer offer me cooperation in their propositions? I did not fail or decline their quests, only inside taverns.

What is the "Drydock duty" entry log in the logbook for spotting AI ships I have quests to find, and how to get rid of it after it stays when the quest is done? I tried doing the real drydock duty at pirate settlement but that just created a new log entry with same name for ship upgrades.

Lastly, is there, by any chance, a mod that chances the compass background from from images of sun and clouds to an actual clock or something similar? I can estimate the approximate time but I'd appreciate something numeric, if it exists.

Thank you and best regards,
-F.

Last edited:
Back