• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Installing Game and Mods Advice

Captain_Python

Rogue Scholar
I just purchased a brand new copy of Age of Pirates 2 on Ebay today for a good price after watching for quite a long time for a sale. It's amazing to see how much has changed since I stopped playing my favorite Akella pirate games in about 2004 or so. Its all hard to recall really. All I remember is Sea Dogs being almost my favorite game of all time and the Sea Dogs 2 (or better known and POTC) being blandish. Being nostalgic and all lately (and hearing how Bethesda and Akella had developed Skyrim jogged my memory of childhood gaming), I decided to see if the old forum was still up, and see if you could download Sea Dogs somewhere. Low and behold, I find that akella developed more pirate games since I ducked out and the forum still remains (and that I could still log in, after 9 years or so, I think I joined the forum in 2002).

Anyway, on to business. With the game on the way, I thought I would get a head start on figuring out the mods and patches situation. As I understand it, without any patches, the game is real buggy. But, then I look at all the patches that are available, and see that its better to install these mods and patches "with a clean copy."
My Question is, which patch should I install to get as much potential out of the game as possible? In particular, I see the Combined mod version 3.1.5 and Gentlemen of Fortune version 1.1 . Any advice on which version I should install?
Also, I read about how there is a bug with officer loyalty, and that there was a mod developing to fix it. Any progress on that, I couldn't find one easily.

Gentlemen of Fortune contains all Combined Modpack content, but adds more; that's the one you want. :doff

If you've still got your PotC discs, you might also want to have a look at the modding work we're still doing for that.
We've released Build 14 Beta 2 a few days ago, which is a pretty epic release. See here for information:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/news/potc-new-horizons-build-14-beta-2-released

If you've still got your PotC discs, you might also want to have a look at the modding work we're still doing for that.
We've released Build 14 Beta 2 a few days ago, which is a pretty epic release. See here for information:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/news/potc-new-horizons-build-14-beta-2-released

Unfortunately, I don't have that one anymore.

Ahoy Captain Python, good to see you back aboard mate! :dance

I agree with you 100% on Sea Dogs, I too was greatly disappointed in POTC, but I think Seaward did an excellent job with CoAS! It is far from perfect, but the stock game far exceeds the stock version of POTC in both playability and content. The game dynamics are quite a bit different in CoAS, and I strongly urge you to play the game unmodded, at least for a while to get the feel of it. Take a quick glance through the manual for the basics, but you will of course need the forums for some sound gameplay advice!

G.O.F. is indeed a fantastic Mod, and our modders have done an awesome job with it! Currently though, there are some issues with G.O.F. that are being worked on, it might be best to try the Combined Mod first until those issues are resolved.

The Build Mod has grown dramatically since you last experienced it mate, and Build 14, Beta 2 is simply awesome! I agree with Pieter, our mod team has done an outstanding job and I do highly recommend you track down another copy of POTC and give that a try as well, it is well worth it mate! :onya

I would try the POTC stuff, but for my schedule, I usually dedicate myself to only one game at a time, and so in a couple of days that will be Age of Pirates 2. Thanks Boelen for linking me the files for POTC if I wanted to play it though.

Thagarr, if I am to play Age of Pirates 2 as you suggest without the mod first, don't I still need some patches so it doesn't go so buggy on me and crash every 10 minutes? That's what others have written about concerning this game. Advice?

There is no official patch for the English version of the game, it's 1.3, which includes all the Russian patches if I recall correctly. If it crashes that often on you then it is probably either hardware related, or the Tages drivers(copy protection), which you can read about in THIS thread. There are also major issues if you install the game to the default Program Files directory, install it to C:\Games\ or something.

There is only one really bad issue that I am aware of, and that is with storms during the Kill the Beggars quest, and that is really only an issue in one part of the game. My first time through it played just fine for me though, I only had issues after I replayed that part. As long as you have an actual graphics card, and a defragged hard drive, you should be fine mate. There are some minor issues and annoyances with the game that are fixed with the Combined Mod and G.O.F., but nothing that is game breaking. In my opinion, you will get a much better feel for the game if you play it first unmodded, you also appreciate even more just how much effort our modders have put in to changing the game!

The Tenochtitlan quest dialogue is also bugged in vanilla so much so that it will often prevent players from getting through it - just freezing up in an empty dialogue box that wont close. There's also bugs in the Austin quest. Without a few small fixes it may be difficult for you to actually get to the final COAS questline which is just an extension beyond the Austin quest.

I don't think that fix is available as a mini-mod anymore. You can check. The JS combined mod fixes all the original bugs, adds a few more ships and characters but doesn't modify any of the original vanilla GUI functions or behavior/performance numbers in the original code. Its the simplest mod that stays the truest to vanilla if you want to try a step over stock.

It's a good mod and makes the game a lot more playable and enjoyable in my opinion.

MK

Thanks MK, I forgot about the Tenochtitlan quest dialog bug! I was going to recommend Jonathon's mod, but I couldn't find the link right off when I was posting. :modding

I agree Captain Python, you should definitely install JS Combined Mod, it does fix quite a few little bugs. You can get it off the FTP HERE!

Hi guys, im new here and don't know where to post this question at, but here seems the best place. Iv looked on the forum but could not find an answer. I am trying to buy A.O.P 2 but the copy that I found is on ebay in Germany and it says that it is a german copy but when I search the web for different versions I find a Russian and a multi5 type. These are also crack type downloads. My question is if I buy this will it be the type of download where I can choose an English install or is this a german only version. Thanx for any replys. I have also found copys on .com type sites such as ebay and amazon but I am in Germany and it would be a month before I see the disk. Thanx again for your help.

One of the German Modding Team modders told me that the German version is just a regular European multi-language version.
So if I understood correctly, you should indeed be able to install in English.

Back