• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request New! Character Groups

Edward Low

Landlubber
One thing I really miss in potc is the ability to purchase various hats, coats, boots ect at the tailor shop. I assume that the option is more or less impossible to make. So in the absence of better, I have another idea: "Character Grouping"

Many of the characters share faces, or are inspired by the same figure. Could it be an idea of bringing them together in groups? My first idea was to group the clothes in the tailor shops.. But could it be a idea to groupe them from the very beginning of the game?

Example:
You start a new game, choose a Jack Sparrow character and it gives you ALL the available Sparrow modeles as a GiveModel2Player ("????", false); model. You select a James Norrington model and you get all his types ect ect.
Not only for the present "named" characters but maybe make a new opportunity; 'Named', 'Unnamed' and 'Grouped' - and then group them ALL! :p
Another possibility is in fact to include the tailor! And make an opportunity to answer him with a "Give me all clothes that fits me" And then you get all clothes that are grouped with your selected character.

Now, IF I could code it myself, the only thing you would see in this thread, would be a smiley with sunglasses and a pair of attached program files, but I can't :/
But I can support you on this. Either I do the tedious work to find out which characters to match - and a programmer create codes. Or can I make it all. But then one of you have to extensively explain to me how I do it. And I'll try. :)

What say you, it's something we want? I think it will fit well with the future storyline option? :)

That sounds like a serious lot of effort. And right now I'm already involved in some large changes. :facepalm

That sounds like a serious lot of effort. And right now I'm already involved in some large changes. :facepalm
Is it? Sorry but I'm just asking because I dont know better and want to learn. Can't it be made with a "copy" of the program/characters characters_init.c?
And create something like:
case PLAYER_CHARACTER _ ????:
ch.shiplog.Entry.log0 = "Today I feel like ?????.";
GiveModel2Player ("???????", false);

I only learned what I have figured out from the program files in this game, so I'm really "long away from home" here :p

If you want to pre-program all options in advance, it could be handled through extensive if statements.

But with the huge number of models we have, that would take an excessive amount of time and effort.
Time and effort that I at least figure would be better spent elsewhere since we have a lot of other things we want to be doing.
Just have a look at all recent threads on Build Beta & Brainstorming for an overview.

Personally I would like it if appropriate model upgrades become available through gameplay.
For example, if you start as Jack Sparrow, you'll look like him even as you are promoted into the navy and get uniforms.
That is already in place in a simple way.

You can always use the Select Storyline interface filters to find the model name you want.
And it is then very easy to give yourself whichever models you want through the console.
Of course that requires a tiny bit of modding and can't be fine within general play.
But it is possible and really quite easy for anyone who really wants something.

But with the huge number of models we have, that would take an excessive amount of time and effort.
Time and effort that I at least figure would be better spent elsewhere since we have a lot of other things we want to be doing.
Just have a look at all recent threads on Build Beta & Brainstorming for an overview.

I know. That's why I offered to do the tedious and lengthy job. And why I really think about what things you decided to be included, that I can assist with..

Personally I would like it if appropriate model upgrades become available through gameplay.
For example, if you start as Jack Sparrow, you'll look like him even as you are promoted into the navy and get uniforms.
That is already in place in a simple way.

A very good idea. It's there for a couple of the characters, but it would be cool if it was there for several characters! :D

You can always use the Select Storyline interface filters to find the model name you want.
And it is then very easy to give yourself whichever models you want through the console.
Of course that requires a tiny bit of modding and can't be fine within general play.
But it is possible and really quite easy for anyone who really wants something.

I know. I have already included my favorite characters in the storylines to myself. My thought was just to make it a part of the game in some way. But time and priorities must of course be consistent :)

Back