• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons on StormX

Opening post has been updated with a newer engine and updated scripts that contain the basic worldmap implementation. Still lots of worldmap-related bugs though, but you should be able to use it to sail between islands now.

Engine has also gotten a bunch of fixes and improvements recently, most notable of which the ability to cache script compilation. This can be enabled in the engine.ini:
Code:
[script]
cache_mode = 1 ; 0 = off, 1 = check for changes while running, 2 = check for changes during startup

Caching mode 1 is best used for modding (as it will check files every time they are loaded), 2 is best used for production (as it only checks during startup).

I'll also share the current worldmap blender file, in case anyone would like to play around with it: nh_worldmap.blend

1668333160243.png

I tried to run the new engine and the game crashed at once with the error "The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

A bit of ducking and going showed that MSVCP140.dll is something to do with Visual C++. I haven't had time to try installing that yet, but it occurs to me that eventually StormX should be available to non-modding users who won't have Visual C++. Would it be possible to include MSVCP140.dll with the StormX package?

I tried to run the new engine and the game crashed at once with the error "The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

A bit of ducking and going showed that MSVCP140.dll is something to do with Visual C++. I haven't had time to try installing that yet, but it occurs to me that eventually StormX should be available to non-modding users who won't have Visual C++. Would it be possible to include MSVCP140.dll with the StormX package?
That's very good to know. Indeed we want people to be able to play the game without Visual Studio.

I think installing the VC Redistributables will be required to run it, just copying the dll will probably cause more issues then it solves.

Will have to double-check but I think this is the one we want: Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads

So, do you release a new version of StormX at the end of this month?
Another point, does StormX have a more stable framerate than the Storm engine?
All the previous engine modifications are now merged into the main version. Fixing the paper map also required a small engine change, and so I will probably wait for that to get merged as well, before updating the engine in this thread.

All remaining issues should hopefully be fixable through the scripts alone.

The engine can handle higher frame rates a lot better (all timings should be framerate independent), but it can still stutter if it's doing CPU-heavy things. I have my framerate capped at 60 in the engine.ini, and it is pretty smooth sailing.

Thanks for that, @Hammie!:onya I think I've figured out how to read the Github code and have edited "AIShip.c" accordingly. If it doesn't do anything unexpected during a current playthrough of "Tales of a Sea Hawk", it's going into the next update.

Does anyone here know if the Maelstrom version requires the player to install Visual C++? Judging by a recent error report:
CoAS Malestorm Gentlemen of Fortune: Historical Eras II.
... it's using Visual C++ as that's what generated the error message. The question then is, does the player need to install Visual C++ separately or is it bundled with Maelstrom? And if the latter, could Storm X do the same?

Does anyone here know if the Maelstrom version requires the player to install Visual C++? Judging by a recent error report:
CoAS Malestorm Gentlemen of Fortune: Historical Eras II.
... it's using Visual C++ as that's what generated the error message. The question then is, does the player need to install Visual C++ separately or is it bundled with Maelstrom? And if the latter, could Storm X do the same?
It is possible to include it as a prerequisite in an installer. Didn't PotC also do that in its original installer (though for an older version of VCRedist)?

I tired making a quick installer using Visual Studio (which has checkbox to include the VCRedist), but it did not like New Horizons having that many files, and it crashed :(
I'll try and help figure out how to do the same with the New Horizons installer tool.

Not sure if Maelstrom has an installer, but I do remember reading some support questions related to this.

While waiting for paint to dry, I had a look at the NSIS installer script and managed to figure out how it works (kinda).

I made a standalone installer with all the files included. Max installer size is apparently 2GB, so I managed to split off most of the data into a separate "nsisbin" file. Now looking into ways to download this binary file if it is not present, so people only have to download a single file and the installer will manage.

I also managed to bundle the MSVC redistributables installer so it can be installed as an (optional) dependency.

Decided to make the default install folder "%AppData%\PiratesAhoy\New Horizons", so you can also install without admin privileges.

Still want to tweak and test a few things, and then I just need to find a way to share the 5GB file with you guys.

I've made a standalone installer for New Horizons with new engine. You need to download 2 files for it to work:
- Installer
- Data archive (4.6 GB)

You can install it just about anywhere, and if you skip the Visual Studio runtimes (because you already have them), it does not require admin privileges.

This should be a good starting point for creating the standalone Build 15 we have been discussing before.

I've made a standalone installer for New Horizons with new engine. You need to download 2 files for it to work:
- Installer
- Data archive (4.6 GB)

You can install it just about anywhere, and if you skip the Visual Studio runtimes (because you already have them), it does not require admin privileges.

This should be a good starting point for creating the standalone Build 15 we have been discussing before.
Thank you @Hammie !:cheers

- Installer
- Data archive (4.6 GB)

My apologies for being so slow on the response. My life still feels like an empty mess.

But the good news: I did finally download and install your files and at first glance, things seem to be working.

I noticed some small oddities, such as:
- No opening videos (I think this is intentional?)
- No opening loading screen for the Standard Storyline
- Rotating "Loading" cursed coin sometimes doesn't clear previous frames, so it starts to look weird
- Island name for Jamaica not shown on worldmap

The big things are working though; including 3D Sailing Mode and now even the consistent worldmap.
So on the whole, I'm very impressed with everything you managed to do; especially including even the installer itself.
:bow :bow :bow

My apologies for being so slow on the response. My life still feels like an empty mess.

But the good news: I did finally download and install your files and at first glance, things seem to be working.

I noticed some small oddities, such as:
- No opening videos (I think this is intentional?)
- No opening loading screen for the Standard Storyline
- Rotating "Loading" cursed coin sometimes doesn't clear previous frames, so it starts to look weird
- Island name for Jamaica not shown on worldmap

The big things are working though; including 3D Sailing Mode and now even the consistent worldmap.
So on the whole, I'm very impressed with everything you managed to do; especially including even the installer itself.
:bow :bow :bow
Thanks for testing!

Completely forgot about re-enabling the videos...

Will investigate the other issues :checklist

By the way, where did Config.exe go?
I reckon it should probably be safe to just add the original one from regular NH.

By the way, where did Config.exe go?
I reckon it should probably be safe to just add the original one from regular NH.
We don't have working source code for the config program. I can add the one from NH, though it still only has very limited options.

We don't have working source code for the config program.
Oh, bugger. That's a bit unfortunate.

Surprising too.
I recall the current NH version is newer than the stock game.
I think it was @Jan Marten who managed to derive it from the CoAS source code that @Eddy gave us.

I can add the one from NH, though it still only has very limited options.
All I'd use it for is to set the game resolution to 1600x900.
I assume that would still work.

For me myself, I also could just edit the engine.ini file directly.
But newer players might be a bit too daunted for that.
Or they just wouldn't realize that's how it works.

"Special" flags can also be added to models using "sflag" locators, these flags will get the "isSpecialFlag" boolean set to true in "GetRiggingData". I've decided to use these special flags as pennants. So instead of "penn" locators we now need "sflag" locators, which does mean all the models need some more locator updates.
You mean all the "penn" locators need to be renamed to "sflag" now?

Another observation from my quick test:
The water seems really, REALLY transparent now.
On the one hand, that's quite nice.
On the other, is it perhaps a bit much...?

- Fixed all forts flying the Dutch flag.
Too bad. So much for my patriotism. :rofl

But plan is to transition to open beta once the worldmap is fully functional
This thread is still a closed area of the forum.
Are you considering opening it up further?

I wonder if @Grey Roger managed to give it a shot also.
Would be nice if the engine upgrade could be an update to be installed on top/with his latest.

Back