• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion New Language

Jacob

Sailor
Storm Modder
Ahoy commrades!

I install a latest Update and i saw a new Russian Language
Since I was Playing Woodes Rogers and found Pigeon Letter and its destination and find out whats in these folders

Im going to make a new language " Polski or Polish" ( if you're fancy :) )

It can take days week when I finish so please dont delete this if so

I'll send the new language to Mr Pieter

thank you and good day

Ahoy commrades!

I install a latest Update and i saw a new Russian Language
Since I was Playing Woodes Rogers and found Pigeon Letter and its destination and find out whats in these folders

Im going to make a new language " Polski or Polish" ( if you're fancy :) )

It can take days week when I finish so please dont delete this if so

I'll send the new language to Mr Pieter

thank you and good day
That would be awesome! :yes:thumbs1:dance

There's not much point in sending the files to @Pieter Boelen because I'm the one who maintains the updates at the moment. ;)

We already have a Russian translation in progress, and as of next update there's going to be a Spanish one as well. So even if it's not complete, a Polish translation should fit right in.

You should just need to create "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\POLISH", "PROGRAM\Storyline\<story name>\DIALOGS\POLISH" for each storyline, and "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\POLISH". Those are where the translations will go. The game automatically detects these folders. You'll also need to edit "PROGRAM\globals.c" and find this section:
Code:
#define ILANG_ENG   0
#define ILANG_RUS   1
#define ILANG_SPA   2
#define ILANG_FRA   3
#define ILANG_GER   4
#define ILANG_POL   5
For Polish to show up, swap it with French. Active languages must be in sequence because the interface to select language goes through this list each time you press the arrow buttons to switch language, and stops scrolling when it finds a language which doesn't exist. At the moment it will start on English, scroll to Russian, scroll to Spanish, fail to scroll to French because there are no French language files, and never get to Polish. So you'll want to change it to:
Code:
#define ILANG_ENG   0
#define ILANG_RUS   1
#define ILANG_SPA   2
#define ILANG_POL   3
#define ILANG_GER   4
#define ILANG_FRA   5
Then the interface will scroll through English, Russian, Spanish and Polish.

"common.ini" is one of the files in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH" which you will need to translate and put into "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\POLISH". Ultimately everything in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH" and all its sub-folders will need their translated versions in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\POLISH".

"common.ini" is particularly important because while the function 'TranslateString' searches a lot of files for whatever is being translated, another function 'XI_ConvertString' only looks at "common.ini".

And which common. ini should i use

Old Polish one
Or
New horizons version?

P. S

Im 1/9 done xD
The RESOURCE file is yet easy enough to do, but Storylines and DIALOGS in PROGRAM is VERY HARD to do cause of translation
I think it Will be done within 2/3 weeks

Everything will need to be translated from the New Horizons files, otherwise anything which appears in New Horizons and which did not appear in the older version will not be translated in the game. And on that note, keep an eye on this thread:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update: 28 June 2019]
New Horizons is still being modded, so files are being changed or new files added which will then need to be translated.

Take your time! The Spanish and Russian translations have been under development for a lot longer than a few weeks and are still being worked on. Please upload your files even if all the translating is not quite done, then I can run some basic checks. Even if I can't speak Polish (or Russian or Spanish, for that matter), I know my way around the game enough that I can get through the menu and the opening dialog with the officer at the start of a game, and can check that there are no obvious problems.

OK

Another Question

in Polish version these letters exist ą ć ź ż ę ó ń ł ś

What im I suppose to do?

Is there problem with these letters or with other things like common.ini

PS.

2/8 done but the worst are side quests and configuration H files

I don't know if those specific letters can appear in the game. One way to find out would be to edit "PROGRAM\console.c". Just below this line:
Code:
int limit;
add something like this:
Code:
Logit("ą ć ź ż ę ó ń ł ś");
Start a game, get past the initial dialog, then press F12, which will run "console.c". You'll either see those letters if the game can display them, or some rubbish if it can't, followed by "Executed Console". (If you don't see "Executed Console" then there's a mistake in "console.c", in which case "error.log" should give a clue about what that mistake is.)

"common.ini" should work almost the same as any other translation file, though it looks different.

Other files have lines like this:
Code:
Original Text {Translated Text}
"Original Text" is what appears in game code, "Translated Text" is what appears on the screen.

"common.ini" has:
Code:
string = Original Text,"Translated Text"
So, although it is laid out differently, translate it the same way as you would any other file - leave 'Original Text' exactly as it is, and put whatever you want in place of "Translated Text".

It shows somethin' like this

Attachments

• IMG_20190726_111228_1.jpg
    IMG_20190726_111228_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 377
I'm afraid I don't know anything about fonts. As a blind guess, try editing "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\language.ini", and change this line:
Code:
Polish       = fonts_euro.ini
to:
Code:
Polish       = fonts_new.ini
Perhaps that will help, perhaps it will do nothing, perhaps it will mess up the game. If it messes up the game, edit the file again and put that line back to "fonts_euro.ini".

Perhaps @konradk or @Maximus can figure out how to get Polish characters to appear? Looking at the texture files which provide the letters used by the game, those characters are in there somewhere, so it should just be a matter of persuading the game to use them.

I believe I made Polish support for Build 14 alpha long ago. It was possible to enter Polish letters with <Alt>. Well, it probably wasn't included after all. I'll try to find it on my backup.

You can try converting the files codificaction from UTF-8 to ANSI (you can dod that very easily with notepad++, for example) It did the trick for me with Spanish special characters. It may help here. As Grey Roger says, the original game supported those characters so there has to be a way to make them appear.

Curiously enough, I'm translating another game where I had the same problem and the solution was the opposite (changing from ANSI to UTF-8). I would never have figured that out without my previous experience with NH.

Maybe first ill send translated files then maybe someone is gonna check if the translation is good enough to send to people

You can try converting the files codificaction from UTF-8 to ANSI (you can dod that very easily with notepad++, for example) It did the trick for me with Spanish special characters. It may help here.
Spanish characters are easy as they're part of the standard Windows-1252 character set. Those special Polish letters are not, so they're going to need some trickery. If I copy the characters from post #10, I can't save the resulting file as ANSI - if I try, the letters are converted to other characters.

I believe I made Polish support for Build 14 alpha long ago. It was possible to enter Polish letters with <Alt>. Well, it probably wasn't included after all. I'll try to find it on my backup.
This appears to be one part of "fonts_euro.ini" which supports Polish characters:
Code:
; KK -->
ascii_164 = 358,339,29,42
ascii_221 = 394,341,14,30
ascii_165 = 14,479,25,30
ascii_185 = 50,479,12,30
ascii_254 = 75,479,14,30
; DeathDaisy: changed from ascii_229(å) to ascii_168(¨)
ascii_168 = 96,479,11,30
ascii_189 = 116,479,29,32
ascii_215 = 155,478,10,30
ascii_163 = 176,479,20,30
ascii_179 = 204,479,13,30
ascii_253 = 225,479,34,30
ascii_240 = 267,479,13,30
ascii_141 = 288,480,15,30
ascii_155 = 311,479,9,30
ascii_143 = 326,478,29,32
ascii_159 = 362,479,17,32
ascii_175 = 387,478,29,32
ascii_158 = 422,479,17,32

ascii_61 = 488,190,11,37

ascii_128 = 485,480,9,32
ascii_255 = 498,480,10,32
; <-- KK
What I can't do on a UK keyboard is enter those characters - for some reason, if I press Alt-1 Alt-6 Alt-5, what I actually get is character number 209.

@Jacob: could you type in a file with all those Polish letters in both upper and lower case, then upload it? If it's encoded as ANSI, not Unicode or UTF-8, I might be able to use Hex Editor to find out which character codes are being used, then edit "fonts_euro.ini" to map those codes to the appropriate parts of the texture files.

Back