• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Modeling Programs

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
This isn't really an application, technically speaking, but, I'll be able to help with a few more things over summers:
I have access to the full version of Solidworks CAD. This program is ideal for creating highly detailed deck fittings, etc., much faster than is possible on Maya. I'll soon (a year or so) have access to the full version of Rhino CAD, with training for professional design and modeling of ships (A few years). I should be able to start turning out very precise models in two and a half years or so, and if I can get away with using historic vessels for school projects, I'll give the models to PA.

I know for a fact that I'll have to design and model a vessel from scratch next year, with all the associated calculations, so I'll see about doing something historical. I probably won't get away with a run-of-the-mill vessel, but I might be able to do something that would be considered extreme in the 18th c. that hasn't been done before. This would obviously still be something that could have been seen back then, and would probably end up as a unique vessel in the game.

I'll also be able to help refine the physics system of the game relating to ship/water interaction and ship weighting and balancing.

I also have a delft ship model of a pilot schooner laying around if anyone wants to finish it. It closely resembles a pilot schooner from the 1790's, the Swift of Norfolk. It needs everything except a hull, but the rigging and deck fittings are extremely simple on that kind of vessel. The stuff that isn't part of the hull shape basically represents most of what still needs to be done.
Pilotnewrig1.gif

Edit: I can supply plans for cleats and running rigging, since they aren't included in the vessel's plans in The Search for Speed Under Sail. Everything else is in the plans.
Edit II: It just occurred to me that I can make very detailed standard parts on Solidworks by request pretty quickly, depending on my workload when the parts are needed. All I need are a set of dimensions.

Last edited:
Here's an example for you:
MM2.png
It took me less than an hour of actual work, and the dimensions would be measured exactly in the appropriate units if I had used a set of plans. If I hadn't made a few mistakes it would have taken about half an hour. I don't know how it'll export that level of detail, but I can try that part later. After learning some of the program's features, I think that ships might not be so hard after all.

Back