• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New name for New Horizons Build 15

Work is underway on Build 15, and we are proud to share with you all that it will become a stand-alone release that no longer requires Pirates of the Caribbean to play. To emphasize this milestone in the development of New Horizons, we think it should be fitting to adopt a new title and drop the "Pirates of the Caribbean" title altogether.

Our modders have done some brainstorming to come up with suitable ideas, but now is your chance to help us choose the new title for our flagship mod!

The poll is closed and "Beyond New Horizons" got more votes than all the others put together, so that seems pretty decisive. And so, here's my first attempt at a logo:
View attachment 41575

I have the Photoshop original with the various elements as separate layers, so they can easily enough be moved around or resized. I'm also thinking of putting a border round it and shaping the sides to make it look like the stern plate of a ship.
Not bad!
But when downsized, the texts are relatively hard to read.
Maybe adding some "outer glow" would help with that?

I'm not sure why it would be downsized all that much. It's meant to replace the logo at the top of loading screens. Besides, I'd already added some glow, as well as shadow to "Beyond New Horizons". Possibly move the glow layer for "Pirates Ahoy!" a bit to make it more visible. And, since "Pirates Ahoy!" on the current logo is offset high and left, perhaps do something similar here - move the skull up a bit, move "Beyond New Horizons" down a bit, and move "Pirates Ahoy!" left, so they don't overlap as much:

logo_version3.jpg

@Grey Roger mentions he added some glow already; but truth be told, I'm not seeing it...

I also regularly add some 3D effect to my texts, which can help with their visibility.
Though it might look weird that way too, so... handle with care?

What do you mean by "glow"? I thought it was the lighter version of the text, offset a little up and to the side to give a 3D effect, which are present on both text lines. There's also a darker version of "Beyond New Horizons" offset the other way to give a shadow effect.

For comparison, here's the existing logo:
original.jpg

That's a new one on me! I'd not seen "Blending" before and achieved an effect similar to the bevelling by duplicating the text in a lighter colour and placing the duplicate under the main text, offset a bit. I also added a shadow the same way. Outer glow would spoil the effect I'm trying to achieve which is metallic text on a wooden background, but some inner glow does seem to help. And I've added a bit of outer glow to "Pirates Ahoy!".
logo_version4.jpg

It's sure getting better and better!

Some thoughts:
- "Pirates" and "Ahoy!" should not have a space in-between
- Either it should be "PiratesAhoy! presents:" or the "PiratesAhoy!" logo should be centralized, I think

If the new logo is made bigger than the old one, we can easily plot it on top and don't need to redo our earlier works.

It's sure getting better and better!

Some thoughts:
- "Pirates" and "Ahoy!" should not have a space in-between
- Either it should be "PiratesAhoy! presents:" or the "PiratesAhoy!" logo should be centralized, I think

If the new logo is made bigger than the old one, we can easily plot it on top and don't need to redo our earlier works.
Looking at the forum logo, there should be a space between "Pirates" and "Ahoy!" otherwise they run together, but the space can be smaller by setting it to a smaller font size than the rest of the text.

There's no "presents" in the existing logo, in which "Pirates Ahoy!" is very small and placed just above and left of the main text "Pirates of the Caribbean". However, it's easily enough added:
logo_version5.jpg

This logo is slightly larger than the existing one exactly so that it can be pasted straight onto any existing loading screen. It wouldn't do any harm to have some new screens anyway to make the new version more distinct, but it's optional, not a necessary requirement. For example:
new_game_new.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad, I was too late to vote. But I would have voted for the first one, Beyond New Horizon, anyway. Thank you guys for providing still updates on this best of all pirate games mod, I am just now installing the game and New Horizons again. But I am really curious, what the next version will bring.

Too bad, I was too late to vote. But I would have voted for the first one, Beyond New Horizon, anyway. Thank you guys for providing still updates on this best of all pirate games mod, I am just now installing the game and New Horizons again. But I am really curious, what the next version will bring.
I just came back after a while as well, I'm doing the same thing as you. I'm also wondering the same thing as you!

Is there a date or an estimate for the new standalone "Beyond New Horizon" release?

I just came back after a while as well, I'm doing the same thing as you. I'm also wondering the same thing as you!

Is there a date or an estimate for the new standalone "Beyond New Horizon" release?
The tentative, maybe, hopefully, target is to release in June.

I'm trying to put out alpha builds now, but the ModDB upload approval process is either very slow or outright broken :facepalm

I know I'm late to the post, but here's some thoughts:

Not to be a naysayer, but I feel like "Beyond New Horizons" just sounds kind of clunky. The new "New Horizons" bit is solid, though. What about just "Beyond Horizons" or, "Waves of Freedom"? Or, if it's the first introduction to future mod-packs, then "Beyond Horizons: Open Seas", then the next one can be, "Beyond Horizons: Waves of Freedom" and so on? I would say being consistent in naming conventions will go a long way – just look at the Rambo series as an example of what not to do.

I thought @Hammie already tried to post it a while back.
Is it still not approved? Yoiks!

I'm trying to put out alpha builds now, but the ModDB upload approval process is either very slow or outright broken :facepalm
It does seem bizarelly slow. It used to take a few days at most; but usually less than 24 hours.
How long has it been now?
TOO long; for sure!

Not to be a naysayer, but I feel like "Beyond New Horizons" just sounds kind of clunky. The new "New Horizons" bit is solid, though. What about just "Beyond Horizons" or, "Waves of Freedom"? Or, if it's the first introduction to future mod-packs, then "Beyond Horizons: Open Seas", then the next one can be, "Beyond Horizons: Waves of Freedom" and so on? I would say being consistent in naming conventions will go a long way
Good ideas! I must say I agree. "Beyond New Horizons" doesn't ring quite right to me either.... :oops:

Maybe just modify the old logo, like this? Or are you just abandoning the old one?
That's pretty good, actually!
If the text could be modified to fit in a bit better with the background.

How did you get rid of the old text?
You did a pretty good job at that! :onya

I thought @Hammie already tried to post it a while back.
Is it still not approved? Yoiks!

It does seem bizarelly slow. It used to take a few days at most; but usually less than 24 hours.
How long has it been now?
TOO long; for sure!

Good ideas! I must say I agree. "Beyond New Horizons" doesn't ring quite right to me either.... :oops:

That's pretty good, actually!
If the text could be modified to fit in a bit better with the background.

How did you get rid of the old text?
You did a pretty good job at that! :onya
Here is a clean version if you are interested and my clumsy work in Photoshop))

Attachments

• 1234.png
    1234.png
    309.2 KB · Views: 85
  • logo.psd
    964.3 KB · Views: 61
Back