• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP New Satanist Frigate

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
So @Grey Roger made a satanist frigate based on the Essex class frigate.

This gave me the idea to make a new Mefisto based on the Kreyser class frigate.

Edit: The ship is included in the build now.

EDIT 2:
When I get back home and have access to Maya I will try to remodel the stern to look like the stern of the original Mefisto, at least I will add the "horns" and the original figurehead.

Don't know how fast the progress will be, since I most probably be busy with real life stuff but hopefully some progress could be done, even if at a slow pace.

Have a good month everyone!!! :cheers

Thread prefix changed back to WIP.

Last edited:
That depends on what you mean by "divide". In TOOL, there's a button "Scene". Open the main hull file, e.g. "PiratFrigateSup.gm", then click on "Scene", then select "Edit Scene" from the menu. You should get a new window, one of whose frames contains the name of the file which can be expanded into a drop-down list of components. There's also another list of components on the list; these are model files to be found in TOOL's installation folder, specifically in the "Meshes" sub-folder. You can add new components to the model by double-clicking one of these. Or you can remove components by deleting them from the list under the ship's name.

The figurehead is a lot easier, it's a separate file, e.g. "PiratFrigateSup_figurehead.gm". You can copy the figurehead from any of the other "Kreyser" models and rename it to match your new model; or get another figurehead from another ship, rename it, then resize it with "Edit Scene" in TOOL. It can be very useful to have a FreePlay with your new ship. Modify the ship however you like, then use a savegame from that FreePlay to see how it now looks. (The rigging work which I've been doing recently has involved a lot of FreePlays with the ships being worked on!)

@Jack Rackham is probably our resident expert at TOOL trickery.

One thing to be careful with: I think you cannot remove parts from a main hull GM file and save it back to GM while also maintaining all the collision/lighting data.
So that's definitely one (unfortunate) thing to be careful of...

This is the stern of the ship:

stern.png

And the side:

side.png

As for the bow i still have a bit of work to do.

I like the look of that! Seems you're doing a really good job!! :woot

How come you are viewing the hull in TOOL instead of in the GM Viewer?

I like the look of that! Seems you're doing a really good job!! :woot

How come you are viewing the hull in TOOL instead of in the GM Viewer?

Thanks for the good feedback!! :cheers

I am viewing the hull in TOOL because i am doing a lot of trial and error stuff so i want to not have to convert the texture from .tga to .tx. ;)

Looking good so far! :onya

But don't be limited by trying to copy the original frigate. This is your ship, so feel free to do your own thing with it! For example, perhaps put the name "Mefisto" under the stern. Or make a demonic figurehead by retexturing the figure of Neptune from "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\HeavyLineship\HeavyLineship_neptun.gm". Or find yourself a scary evil symbol on Google Images or somewhere. Or use your own evil imagination...

The black and red colour scheme is required to make it fit in with quest dialogs. Anything else is up to you!

The satanist frigate is my favorite ship from the original game, good to see you what you are doing here.
Question: Do you plan to modify the upper deck it so it can have more cannons like the original or is it going to be just a re-texture?

The satanist frigate is my favorite ship from the original game, good to see you what you are doing here.
Question: Do you plan to modify the upper deck it so it can have more cannons like the original or is it going to be just a re-texture?
The satanist frigate is also one of my favorite ships! :onya

As for now i will see what figurehead i will use.
After that i am thinking of adding more cannons.

If you can get this finished by the end of next week, or even by the end of this week, it's going in the next update. In any case, the revised "Frigate_sat" with your new cannons is definitely going in!

Add it to the code, zip and upload the lot, then I'll merge it in. That way you can set up the ship's definition in "Ships_init.c" and its description in "ShipModels_descriptions.txt" as you see fit. Then I'll merge your files with mine to get everything. I'll also do the necessary coding to slot it into the "Strange Things Going On in the Archipelago" quest in the "Revolutions" period.

Back