• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP New Satanist Frigate

Also i added the name of the ship to the stern:

MEFISTO.png

Ok, got a little bit confused, so there is going to be a Satanist version of the Kreyser but at the same time you are going to keep the old one? I saw the fixing bad ropes tread. For what I understand the plan is to use this one in one period and the old one in others?

Ok, got a little bit confused, so there is going to be a Satanist version of the Kreyser but at the same time you are going to keep the old one? I saw the fixing bad ropes tread. For what I understand the plan is to use this one in one period and the old one in others?

Exactly the new one will be used in the "Revolutions" period.

I wouldn't use the same stats as "Frigate_sat", but certainly raise them all a bit compared to a stock "Kreyser". That way it's better than a stock "Kreyser" while still being distinct from other Mefistos. (If you bring the crew up to at least 400 then the ship becomes tier 3.)

The stock "Kreyser" has 378 crew, so raising it to a little over 400 isn't that drastic. It's going to need an increased crew anyway, otherwise it may find that it can't fire all its guns - though I don't know what the calculation for gun crews is. And tier 3 rating plus 18lb guns make it blatantly different from a basic "Kreyser"!

How about this?

Code:
    refShip.MaxCrew         = 410;
    refShip.MinCrew         = 80;
    refShip.Price           = 210000;
    refShip.HP              = 3800;
    refShip.SP              = 200;

That looks reasonable enough. :onya Now you can start up a FreePlay game and take it for a test, partly to check that everything works (check "system.log" when you quit the game) and partly to get a screenshot for an interface picture. (You could also use the manual fire key to fire a broadside at nothing in particular, count the bangs and make sure you're getting a full salvo.)

So the Kreyser class has 36 guns.
If every gun needs 10 men then, ten times 36 equals 360.
20% of 360 is 72.
So minimum crew should be 72 men.

For one thing, it indicates that the Satanic Fluyt of War needs a lot more crew for her 18lb guns.

Also:
First, it requires 1% of your ship's HP in crew to sail the ship. In this case, 57 crewmen (rounded down).
Is that still the case? It doesn't have much effect on normal ships, but cursed ships with silly HP are going to be in trouble if this is true. "CursedDutchman" has 100000 HP, which by that calculation means 1000 crew before taking cannons into account. That won't affect the ship when it appears in "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance", though it may explain why the ship hardly fires at me when I attack it; but it won't affect boarding because the ship can't be boarded. The lack of crew to match the silly HP, or the effects of a suitably silly-sized crew, will affect anyone who chooses to play as Davy Jones. For that matter, even the uncursed "FlyingDutchman" has 100000 HP, which means anyone playing as Will Turner is going to have the same problems. If both ships go up to 1000 plus cannon crew, boarding is going to be easier, but feeding and paying them is going to be hard - no wonder Davy Jones' crew were such a miserable lot in the films. xD

So 80 or 72?
EDIT: Here she is in the game: In_game.png

I still have to add her in the quest and add her figurehead.

Last edited:
Is that still the case? It doesn't have much effect on normal ships, but cursed ships with silly HP are going to be in trouble if this is true. "CursedDutchman" has 100000 HP, which by that calculation means 1000 crew before taking cannons into account. That won't affect the ship when it appears in "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance", though it may explain why the ship hardly fires at me when I attack it; but it won't affect boarding because the ship can't be boarded. The lack of crew to match the silly HP, or the effects of a suitably silly-sized crew, will affect anyone who chooses to play as Davy Jones. For that matter, even the uncursed "FlyingDutchman" has 100000 HP, which means anyone playing as Will Turner is going to have the same problems. If both ships go up to 1000 plus cannon crew, boarding is going to be easier, but feeding and paying them is going to be hard - no wonder Davy Jones' crew were such a miserable lot in the films. xD

Who can blame them. :(

So 80 or 72?
Up to you. 360 is apparently the minimum full crew needed to fire the guns properly; 400 gives her some reserve plus makes her harder to board, and brings her into tier 3. It's your ship, so you can decide whether to use 360/72, 400/80, something in between, or any other value you like.
EDIT: Here she is in the game: View attachment 33439

I still have to add her in the quest and add her figurehead.
Looking good! I can put her into the quest - it's just a couple of lines to be added to "PROGRAM\Characters\init\SideQuest.c" in the definition for "Dark Captain". My version of the file already has the necessary lines to put "Sat_Essex" into the "Napoleonic" period, so even if you modify your file to add in your ship, I'll still need to edit mine to make the full version. If you can finish the figurehead and then upload the whole model folder plus your versions of "Ships_init.c" and "ShipModels_descriptions.txt", I can then put it into the update archive, which I'll then upload for everyone to see.

How do you add a ship class name (for example Mefisto is a Heavy Frigate) ?

Last edited:
The class name is set by the "refShip.SName" line, cross-referenced to "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini". So, "Frigate_sat" has the line 'refShip.SName = "Frigate3";'. In "common.ini" is the line 'string = Frigate3,"Heavy Frigate"'. If you want your own class name, just put whatever you like in the "refShip.SName" line, then add a matching line in "common.ini". And that's why, if you play the quest in "Spanish Main" period, you'll find that the Mefisto shows up as "Animist Fluyt-of-War". But I used "Frigate3" again for "Sat_Essex", so the evil Essex is going to show up as "Heavy Frigate".

For the interface picture, first you need a screenshot. For preference, to keep it consistent with the rest, it should be away from land in clear weather, taken from the front port quarter, possibly with some elevation to show some of the deck. And the ship needs to fit into a square frame because you're going to clip that screenshot to a square and resize it to 256x256.

The picture needs to be added to "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\shipsTM.tga.tx" because all the other interface picture files are full. Copy your 256x256 picture to one of the empty squares, then clip round it with a feathered tool to expose the frame and some of the black, so that you get the shadowed edges. Reduce the contrast a bit because the interface picture becomes brighter when it's selected in the interface. Then you need to edit the alpha channel to change the square you'vc just used to white. When you convert the file back to .tga.tx format in TX Convertor, be sure to use the highest quality setting, which is A8R8G8B8.

Edit "RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACE\pictures.ini". Find the section "[SHIPS5]". This contains a list of the ships whose interface pictures are in "shipsTM.tga.tx", e.g.
Code:
picture = FastGalleon5,           769,257,1024,512
That's the name of the ship and the co-ordinates of its picture in "shipsTM.tga.tx". Put your ship's name in the line whose co-ordinates match where you put your picture.

Please use the attached files. They're the most up to date versions I have, with stuff that isn't in the on-line update archive yet - including the interface picture for "Sat_Essex". Otherwise I'll need to add the interface picture to my files, in which case I might as well do it myself anyway. ;) Which I don't mind doing, so if you're not sure about all this, just upload a screenshot of the ship in good weather, open sea, from the front port angle, and I'll do the job.

Attachments

• shipsTM.tga.tx.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 252
  • pictures.ini
    186.2 KB · Views: 247
Back